Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training a red setter

• 21-07-2017 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi.all.
    Just wondering how hard or easy it is to train a red setter from the start. She is just gone a year old now and will come back when called but nothing else done with her.
    Spaniels I always have and find it relatively easy.
    Have had a very good red setter in the past. But was bought fully trained.
    Anyone any words of advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Hi.all.
    Just wondering how hard or easy it is to train a red setter from the start. She is just gone a year old now and will come back when called but nothing else done with her.
    Spaniels I always have and find it relatively easy.
    Have had a very good red setter in the past. But was bought fully trained.
    Anyone any words of advice
    The reds take time had them for 30 years could take up to 3 years before everthing comes togeather rangeing, retreving, cover and been steady but when it comes right you will have some animal i always had 3 or 4 so had plenty of time do not try and rush her ,i have moved on to english setters this last 4 years they are easy to train and you will be hunting over them at 12 months.You need to bring her to game and if you could run her with a older dog who knows the ropes even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Are the English that much better in general.
    I have known them to start earlier. But the one fool I used to go hunting with hadn't a clue how to train himself nor to mind the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

i had a string of top class reds for years and then for some reason maybe a dog i bread with things started to go wrong shy of cover not retriving would not cover ground a load of things the last 3 dogs were not great ,i would do a lot of hunting 3 or 4 days a week during the season, saying that a man who only shot a odd time would think these last 3 dogs were not bad ,i tried the english dogs and have 3 all i would call top class the oldest dog is just over 3 i was hunting over them at about 10 months easy to train good nose brains like i never seen before and no fear,i called them english dogs but the breeding is french,norway,italy and american.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

It's all time with the reds you really can't rush them but if you get a good one and have the patience the are a fabulous hunting dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

It's all time with the reds you really can't rush them but if you get a good one and have the patience the are a fabulous hunting dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

take your time short bursts into the wind 3 to 4 times a week 5-10 mins a session.Earlier mornings or late evenings when its cool.pick your days windy days are best.The dog will run better.Iv a red just getting her ready for trailing now nearly there with her.just need game now but its been a bad year for grouse around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

reds are a breed that take time, dont rush her take the dog out as the lads suggested and that will bring her on.

Advertisement