Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop advice - Windows machine (music making)

Options
  • 21-07-2017 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

MODS: Right Forum?

Hi guys,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057763783

I had started a thread on After Hours about the whole Mac V PC debate. I haven’t had to buy for a while, so haven’t been keeping up with what’s new etc in the market.

No need to get into a debate here, as I’ve decided on a Windows laptop.

I can’t get a desktop as I have no room at home for one currently.

So…

Apart from the usual internet and Office stuff, I’ll also be using it to make music. Home demos specifically but using VST plugins, so amp sims, keyboards and the likes. So, not too heavy.

I’ve always used cheap windows stuff and latency was always a problem.
    I gather I should be looking at an SSD drive then. I& etc.

Could I just spec out a windows machine with Apple specs?

I don’t want to build anything if I can help it. I’d rather just buy, more than likely online.

So much choice, I’m not sure which brand I should go for. Dell? HP etc.

e.g. Someone posted this link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBook-UX310UA-FB485T-Notebook-Processor/dp/B01N0ZT626/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500408261&sr=8-1&keywords=zenbook&th=1

Could folk advise on some spec for me? I really am bit clueless on this. I could go and match what's in a Macbook for example, and spec it out that way, but any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Sorry. Should have mentioned my budget. I guess, initially I was hesitant of paying for the likes of a Mac. I don't think I need to pay that much.

Saying that, I had a quick look at the Dell site, and filtered a search, and got a recommendation for €1,200.

I'm going to say ballpark €600 to start with, and I'd take it from there. Would like to keep it under a €1,000 for sure if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

seachto7 wrote: »
    Thanks. And if I were to buy new, I'd obviously be looking at double those prices?

T and W series Thinkpads with i7 start from €2k new ;)

• Advertisement

Thing about that W530 is that it has a "proper" i7 processor (3720QM - 4 cores, 8 threads) so should be much better in productivity -
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=895&cmp[]=2865
    Also it's built like a tank.

I'm still undecided, but still leaning towards a window machine. I had a look, and I know people say to steer clear in PC World and the likes, just to see what off the shelf machines were costing etc, and there seemed to be a decent enough choice from their selection.
    Looking to keep the budget around €700ish.

I'm still undecided, but still leaning towards a window machine. I had a look, and I know people say to steer clear in PC World and the likes, just to see what off the shelf machines were costing etc, and there seemed to be a decent enough choice from their selection.
    Looking to keep the budget around €700ish.

For under €700 new, all you will find are Celeron, i3-xxxxU and AMD A9 machines.

They are trash.

For photo editing & the like, you want an ex-business machine:
    Lenovo ThinkPad W530, T530, T430, X230
    HP 8470p
    Dell Latitude E6430

Make sure it has at least an IPS / HD+ (1600x900) / FHD (1920x1080) screen & i5/i7 CPU and you're good.
    You can find these machines all over eBay / Adverts, and also GreenIT / LaptopMarket

Cheers. I'd be running piano vst plugins on it. Not for live use, just for recording. That's as heavy as I'd get along with any built in plugins on the DAW.

• Advertisement

So, I've been looking again and can see that, depending on what I'm looking at, I can upgrade from an i3 processor to an i5 or i7 etc.

Would it be worth the extra few quid to upgrade to an i7 in a windows machine?

So, I've been looking again and can see that, depending on what I'm looking at, I can upgrade from an i3 processor to an i5 or i7 etc.

Would it be worth the extra few quid to upgrade to an i7 in a windows machine?
    Only if the i7 is a 4-core/8-thread part.

Thanks for the tip!

I still have not pulled the trigger but will most likely get a semi decent Windows machine, and then when my livin situation changes down the line, I'll get a nice laptop.

I've been recording some music on an old Dell Latitude E5410. It uses cracked Office programs, is 32 bit, and has its problems, but in general, does what I want when it comes to making home demos.

Therefore, I'm of the mind, well why not just get a newer Dell machine which will be able to handle the home music stuff, and you'll still be able to watch some tv on it if needs be or use the office packages.

Next question would be , home v business laptops. Is it a case that the business ones require you to sign up for business licences etc?

I had a look at the Dell site, and some of the business machines, seem to have some better specs in places.

Intel's new i7-8550U is looking like a good chip; 4cores/8threads in a 15W package.
    Inspiron 15 7577 (i7-7700HQ w/1050Ti or 1060) is a good deal if you want to play latest games.

As far as I can tell, the Dell Business prices are showing lower as they are ex-VAT (correct me if wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'd say for making music the crucial part is not how strong a machine is, but real time operating system.
    You will struggle to achieve that with Windows.

While I know nothing about music production, but my friend who's into that is using Linux with kernel optimised for real time system.
    Works perfectly fine for him, and there no need for strong machine.

CiniO wrote: »
    I'd say for making music the crucial part is not how strong a machine is, but real time operating system.
    You will struggle to achieve that with Windows.

While I know nothing about music production, but my friend who's into that is using Linux with kernel optimised for real time system.
    Works perfectly fine for him, and there no need for strong machine.

I suppose. I have no experience with Linux.
    I guess I was trying to match a windows machine as close as was possible to the specs in a MacBook. Cheapo that I am.

Is there anything I should be aware of before looking at Linux machines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I suppose. I have no experience with Linux.
    I guess I was trying to match a windows machine as close as was possible to the specs in a MacBook. Cheapo that I am.

Is there anything I should be aware of before looking at Linux machines ?

Which DAW are you using? Most of the popular ones aren't compatible with Linux.

Standman wrote: »
    Which DAW are you using? Most of the popular ones aren't compatible with Linux.

I'm just using Reaper and some keyboard plugins and that's pretty much it.
    Everything else is recorded with a mic and all through an external audio interface.

Hi guys. I was about to pull the trigger on a Dell Vostro from the website (with a 256 SSD). Was working out at €600 inc VAT. I held off...

Had a look at Adverts, and there are loads of refurbs with the specs I need, and I'd probably save a few hundred € too.

They all seem to be a few years old. Turn of the year. Any worth in getting one that could be 4 or 5 years old in a few weeks.

In 2 minds, but can see the worth in the Adverts deals too...

• Advertisement

Hi guys. I was about to pull the trigger on a Dell Vostro from the website (with a 256 SSD). Was working out at €600 inc VAT. I held off...

Had a look at Adverts, and there are loads of refurbs with the specs I need, and I'd probably save a few hundred € too.

They all seem to be a few years old. Turn of the year. Any worth in getting one that could be 4 or 5 years old in a few weeks.

In 2 minds, but can see the worth in the Adverts deals too...

Link us the ones you found & we'll tell you if they're lemons or not :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Link us the ones you found & we'll tell you if they're lemons or not :pac:

Was looking at a Dell Latitude, and keep it under €500 or €600 max

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_dell+latitude/sortby_price-desc

Out of curiosity, was looking at Lenovo Thinkpad too

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_lenovo+thinkpad+ssd/sortby_price-desc

I'd go for SSD and if it had the dvd/cd drive (yup, I still use them!), I'd be happy!

Seems to one seller in Sth Dublin with lots of machines...

Advertisement