Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying first bike

Options
  • 21-07-2017 6:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

Gonna get it through cycle to work so €1000-€1200 budget, hybrid type I think. I've literally never sat on a racer/road type bike, are they comfy at all??

Had a bit of a read about groupsets their, I should be able to get Shimano 105 on my budget?

What else should I be looking for?

Aluminium/carbon frame? Does it really matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Gonna get it through cycle to work so €1000-€1200 budget, hybrid type I think. I've literally never sat on a racer/road type bike, are they comfy at all??

Had a bit of a read about groupsets their, I should be able to get Shimano 105 on my budget?

What else should I be looking for?

Aluminium/carbon frame? Does it really matter?

What do you plan on using it for. If you are going for spins of 50km + at weekends then road bike is they way forward.

If you are commuting to work then something with rack and panniers and decent lock is needed.

On the comfy seat issue - your arse gets used to it with padded shorts but be ready for a numb arse for the first few spins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭BAAA RAM EWE

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    What do you plan on using it for. If you are going for spins of 50km + at weekends then road bike is they way forward.

If you are commuting to work then something with rack and panniers and decent lock is needed.

On the comfy seat issue - your arse gets used to it with padded shorts but be ready for a numb arse for the first few spins!

Will be using for the odd spin around country roads when ever I get the chance.

Work is to far away and to physical at the minute, looking for new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Will be using for the odd spin around country roads when ever I get the chance.

Work is to far away and to physical at the minute, looking for new job.

Go and test a few different bikes. Take a look at couple of threads on here.

Best of luck with your search

Advertisement