If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony KD-65X8509C lost satellite and recording

Options
  • 21-07-2017 7:40pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Have a Sony KD-65X8509C since ~late 2015, everything 100% up to the last week or so.

a) I noticed that the Guide (TV channel listing for recording) was not loading so I kinda ignored as I usually used the TV & Video Side view app but now this does not appear to work for me so I can't record any more, this is annoying but I can work around for the time being.
    b)More critically the TV cannot keep my satellite tuned channels. They were 100% solid last week and now all gone, I've tried retuning and they are fine (retuning takes ~1 hour) but then I turn the TV off and they are gone when I turn back on. Now today I tried retuning (following guidelines from the sony site) and all the signal strength and quality are coming back as low and no channels tune in and I'm selecting Astra 2 28.2degrees East which is the bog standard free to air frequency but nothing coming in.
    I have a quad LNB hooked up to other TV's and a Humax (all from your good selves) and these are all 100% solid signal strength and quality so I can rule out the dish/LNB I think.

I'm home this weekend and then gone again and then home again for a few days and am willing to try anything you recommend to alleviate this.

I'm more concerned about the lack of TV signal, without it the TV just sitting on the wall turned off :confused:

Kind regards
    S1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

No doubt John McD won't let me forget this in a hurry whether I'm right or wrong !!!

In order to fully eliminate the LNB as a cause of the problem, you should try to swap the feed cable to your TV to a known working LNB output - I have had to troubleshoot exactly this problem recently with a friend who (it transpired after lots of swapping cables etc and head scratching) had a failure on one output from the LNB - very confusing when you have perfect signal to other devices and one device loses signal and then fails completely.

The would exclude the LNB as an issue for certain. If the dish is easily accessible you can swap them at the LNB, leving all devices in their present locations - or do it at the device level if that is more convenient.

Mod Comment
    For the more Charter-savvy amongst you, I'm pardonning myself in advance for this intervention, this is a one-off comment on a purely tecnical matter and should not be taken as open-season on pitching into queries here, no children or small animals were harmed (much) in the creation of this intervention.

HTH,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

slave1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Have a Sony KD-65X8509C since ~late 2015, everything 100% up to the last week or so.

a) I noticed that the Guide (TV channel listing for recording) was not loading so I kinda ignored as I usually used the TV & Video Side view app but now this does not appear to work for me so I can't record any more, this is annoying but I can work around for the time being.
    b)More critically the TV cannot keep my satellite tuned channels. They were 100% solid last week and now all gone, I've tried retuning and they are fine (retuning takes ~1 hour) but then I turn the TV off and they are gone when I turn back on. Now today I tried retuning (following guidelines from the sony site) and all the signal strength and quality are coming back as low and no channels tune in and I'm selecting Astra 2 28.2degrees East which is the bog standard free to air frequency but nothing coming in.
    I have a quad LNB hooked up to other TV's and a Humax (all from your good selves) and these are all 100% solid signal strength and quality so I can rule out the dish/LNB I think.

I'm home this weekend and then gone again and then home again for a few days and am willing to try anything you recommend to alleviate this.

I'm more concerned about the lack of TV signal, without it the TV just sitting on the wall turned off :confused:

Kind regards
    S1
    Hey S1.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Like The Ritz has mentioned is there anyway you can try and switch this TV to the position of one of the working ones?
    This will rule out any faults elsewhere with the satellite dish and the cabling.

Showing low signal could be an issue if the Sat tuner in the TV has gave up or there is a fault in the sat system between the TV and the dish.

If you can rule out a faulty LNB and the issue is still there I can arrange for an engineer to call out. Our engineer if sent out will not be able to touch your sat system unfortunately and would only be there to investigate/check the TV side of things. 

Let me know the out come and we can go from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks, will do, bit involved given size of TV's and their mountings, also the bloody connections are of differing sides of the TV's which is annoying, why there can't be a standard side for AV connections is beyond me. I'll try and get done tomorrow but not around the house much with work so just wanted to pop up the post in case there was some issue with the Android OS or something simple like that that could be sorted quickly by myself...

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks, will do, bit involved given size of TV's and their mountings, also the bloody connections are of differing sides of the TV's which is annoying, why there can't be a standard side for AV connections is beyond me. I'll try and get done tomorrow but not around the house much with work so just wanted to pop up the post in case there was some issue with the Android OS or something simple like that that could be sorted quickly by myself...
    No problem Slave1, keep us posted with how you get on.

Hi guys, sorry for delay, away soaking up the sun!
    Anyhow, I decided to reset the TV and leave it off for a while to try and avoid taking it off the wall with one last test.

The satellite settings for tuning in the usual FTA from the UK, do you have these handy please so I can ensure the settings themselves are not the issue.
    Either the settings or link please.

TIA

• Advertisement

Anyhow, I decided to reset the TV and leave it off for a while to try and avoid taking it off the wall with one last test.

The satellite settings for tuning in the usual FTA from the UK, do you have these handy please so I can ensure the settings themselves are not the issue.

TIA
    No problem Slave.

Let us know how you get on.

TIA
    No problem Slave.

Hi Kenny, thanks for reply, was actually asking for the satellite settings, I hope ye have a Sony hooked up in the shop so can share the settings or alternatively a link to them please.
    Regards
    S1

TIA
    No problem Slave.

Hi Kenny, thanks for reply, was actually asking for the satellite settings, I hope ye have a Sony hooked up in the shop so can share the settings or alternatively a link to them please.
    Regards
    S1
    Hi S1.

Apologies.

I'll see if I can get them for you now off of our FreeSat box we use in store.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Kenny,

Freesat HD box will use different settings.

Slave - unfortunately we don't connect our TV's in store to a dish - we only use HDMI input via a matrix to display a picture on our TV's therefore we don't have quick access or know which specific channels you are looking for - best route is to do a total search and weed out the channels you don't require via your favourites.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Kenny,

Slave - unfortunately we don't connect our TV's in store to a dish - we only use HDMI input via a matrix to display a picture on our TV's therefore we don't have quick access or know which specific channels you are looking for - best route is to do a total search and weed out the channels you don't require via your favourites.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi John, I can't do a total search as any satellite tuning settings I try all come back to same, zero signal strength and quality, I might give the guys in Craigavon a shout as they would surely have them when testing repaired TV's. Are these still the guys ye use for repairs etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Kenny,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi John, I can't do a total search as any satellite tuning settings I try all come back to same, zero signal strength and quality, I might give the guys in Craigavon a shout as they would surely have them when testing repaired TV's. Are these still the guys ye use for repairs etc.?
    Yep, 

but if are calling them to send for service can you call Stephen who is our service admin manager in Belfast he will call Craigavon for you - that way it will be on our system and we can keep monitoring it for you...

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Finally got someone around to give me a hand taking TV off the wall, looks like LNB failure, strange as other feeds off it are fine, I'll get a new LNB and see how this pans out

Finally got someone around to give me a hand taking TV off the wall, looks like LNB failure, strange as other feeds off it are fine, I'll get a new LNB and see how this pans out
    Hey Slave1.

In some way that is good news as it should rule out the TV.

Let us know once you have replaced the LNB and have the TV back it its place.

Hey Slave1.

Yeah, agreed

Hey Slave1.

Yeah, agreed
    :)

Keep us informed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.