Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 tale of woe

Options
  • 21-07-2017 8:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, the PS4 is acting the maggot.
    It's ejecting discs at random, doesn't matter which one, wonder if it's banjaxed or can it be fixed, smacked with a hammer.
    Anyone else bump into the issue, tell your fix!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's ejecting discs at random, doesn't matter which one, wonder if it's banjaxed or can it be fixed, smacked with a hammer.

Yup, same issue here for years, very annoying! Don't have a fix though I'm afraid, it generally stops itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Is it an older model and are there any lights facing directly at the front of the console?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a launch model.
    It's been sitting on top of the XB1, I reckon the whole kaboodle has gotten a bit hot, plus I noticed this evening a lot of dust and crap built up along the vents, so tomorrow I'll be vacuuming it out and moving it, perhaps keeping it cooler might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It's a launch model.
    It's been sitting on top of the XB1, I reckon the whole kaboodle has gotten a bit hot, plus I noticed this evening a lot of dust and crap built up along the vents, so tomorrow I'll be vacuuming it out and moving it, perhaps keeping it cooler might make a difference.
    I had the very same issue with my PS4, started ejecting discs at random intervals.

Tried loads of "fixes" but the one thing that worked for me (definitively) was taking off the rubber food from underneath the eject button/sensor and the cut about half a centimetre off it on the side that the button would be.

Event though it's rubber any dust around it is inclined to generate static, and if it come in contact with the eject sensor it's inclined to set it off. It's worth a go anyway, it's not as if you ever have to look at the rubber feet anyway. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I moved it to a vertical orientation and, so far, it seems to have worked, though the machine's fan is making a racket, presumably heat again.
    But no more random ejecting....
    I've popped some Sugru feet on the console too, to give it a good centimetre of space over the XB1 beneath, but I haven't had cause to put it back onto the flat, so I don't know if that'll work.
    It'll all tide me over until I inevitably buy a Pro console in a year or so.
    The worst part of that will be repopulating a new harddrive!

• Advertisement

It'll all tide me over until I inevitably buy a Pro console in a year or so.
    The worst part of that will be repopulating a new harddrive!
    That's a bit of a chore alright, it basically takes a day to do it. I found the USB 3.0 port at the back of the Pro sped up the whole back up/restore process quite a bit though (compared to if you were restoring it to another base PS4).

Backing up 1tb worth of data from the base PS4 took me about 12 hours for me thanks to the USB 2.0 on it. Effectively an overnight job. But then restoring it on the Pro with the 3.0 port halved that, taking just over 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I never transferred data from the PS4 to the Pro. I put Battlefield 1, Borderlands 2, Destiny, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us and some PS plus stuff on the pro. I downloaded game saves from cloud to the Pro and was good to go in a matter of minutes with all my saved progress.
    Except for destiny which took hours to download thanks to the digital dlc.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I never transferred data from the PS4 to the Pro. I put Battlefield 1, Borderlands 2, Destiny, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us and some PS plus stuff on the pro. I downloaded game saves from cloud to the Pro and was good to go in a matter of minutes with all my saved progress.
    Except for destiny which took hours to download thanks to the digital dlc.
    Depends on where you are I suppose. When you live in the country and are restricted to 3mb internet (if you're lucky!) these things just aren't an option I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

It's a launch model.

Yuuuuuup. It's heat. Last night mine was making an awful racker trying to cool itself down, also about 1/3rd of my HDD went "missing"... Ps4 thought it had a 1.2TB HDD, not a 2TB HDD... it was weird tbh. Was playing a game installed on the HDD and it was constantly stalling on cutscenes etc. The weather is just too bloody nice

Must be a curse then living in somewhere that's warm most of the time then!
    I have a feeling that my console collection won't have a working PS4 into the future, speaking as someone with working consoles from the 70s right up to the present day .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,808 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I used to have that problem with my launch model and having it vertical greatly reduced it (to the point where it could be six months between it happening as opposed to 1-2 months).

Penn wrote: »
    I used to have that problem with my launch model and having it vertical greatly reduced it (to the point where it could be six months between it happening as opposed to 1-2 months).

I have yet discover such a problem with the XB1... Mostly because it gets used from Plex and Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Had this problem and fixed it by adjusting the manual disc removal screw.
    Powered off console with disc in, turned the screw to get it out and then wound it back beyond the original position.

Your mileage may vary but the random disc eject never happened again. The console was always horizontal also.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I had the same issue a couple of years ago, I kept having to adjust the screw to stop it happening.
    It eventually was happening constantly but luckily it was still in warranty so I sent to off to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I have yet discover such a problem with the XB1... Mostly because it gets used from Plex and Netflix!

Never had any issues with my day one xbox one, still be used every day by the kids... use my gears of war 4 xbxox now.

Have to say looking at build quailty I think the xbox beats the ps4, That is just my option, don't shot me.

Also why buy a pro next year when the xbox one x is out this year? POWER

Cidey you baffle me sometimes LOL

More/better games?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Nailz wrote: »
    More/better games?

That Sir is your option. Mine is somewhat different.

I love it when people tell me that my opinion is my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nailz wrote: »
    I love it when people tell me that my opinion is my opinion.

Well that's just your opinion, man…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Think I had to do a System Reset. Can't remember, I'm afraid but it was fairly straightforward and customer support helped me through the various steps.

🤪

• Advertisement

Well that's just your opinion, man…

life-goes-on-lebowski.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Why buy and X-Box One X when you can build or buy a gaming PC? :P

That Sir is your option. Mine is somewhat different.

Probably not the forum to open a PS4 v XB1 debate.
    Just catalyses an inevitable argument.

Besides, with me it's not that I'll buy a PS4 Pro instead of an Xbox One X, it's which I'll buy first.
    And, genuinely, there's feck all I play or want to play on the Xbox one, I think I'd rather buy a PC instead.

Advertisement