Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostel suggestions Sydney

• 21-07-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Australia but I've no clue where to start with organising! My plan is to arrive, stay in a hostel for a few weeks then get started on the job/apartment hunt.

I just have no clue where to stay when I arrive, can anyone recommend a good hostel that won't break the bank in Sydney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

I'm moving to Australia but I've no clue where to start with organising! My plan is to arrive, stay in a hostel for a few weeks then get started on the job/apartment hunt.

I just have no clue where to stay when I arrive, can anyone recommend a good hostel that won't break the bank in Sydney?

Hostels can be quite expensive in Sydney. We booked an air b&b room for one month to let us get settled. It worked out great and only cost about 1000 euro for the month! Gave us time to job hunt and then we booked another place for a second month to give us some more time to find a suitable apartment and lease. (This can be exhausting!)

Location wise, any place that is on a good bus route or train line to the CBD. We stayed in Lane Cove first and then Newtown, both of which have good transport to the city.

It also gives you a chance to see if you like the suburb that you're staying in before committing to a room or apartment rental. We loved Lane Cove and ended up getting an apartment there as it suited us for commuting.

Hope this all helps. Any questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bobjims wrote: »

Hostels can be quite expensive in Sydney. We booked an air b&b room for one month to let us get settled. It worked out great and only cost about 1000 euro for the month! Gave us time to job hunt and then we booked another place for a second month to give us some more time to find a suitable apartment and lease. (This can be exhausting!)

Location wise, any place that is on a good bus route or train line to the CBD. We stayed in Lane Cove first and then Newtown, both of which have good transport to the city.

It also gives you a chance to see if you like the suburb that you're staying in before committing to a room or apartment rental. We loved Lane Cove and ended up getting an apartment there as it suited us for commuting.

Hope this all helps. Any questions feel free to ask!
    This^

AirBnB likely works out cheaper depending on timescale. If you have to go with a hostel, use YHA. You can sign up online, you'll get discounts on accommodation and other things and they sell you e-packs where you can buy X amount of nights to use at any YHA hostel. They're all over Australia and are affiliated with Hostelling International (if you're a HI member, you're automatically a YHA member too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

And its pronounced hoss-tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

One called "Wolf Creek". Ask for Mick, Mick Taylor.

Advertisement