Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which composite decking make?

Options
  • 21-07-2017 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have about 25sqm of timber decking out the back. It was here when I bought the house and I have grown to like it quite a lot despite it's shortcomings.
    The decking is approx 10 years old and I don't think it was that well maintained.

Long story short; It's due to be replaced.

Just wondering has anyone experience of composite decking manufacturers here or abroad? I'd be installing myself.

Cheers,
    R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

Did you get any info other than boards, which seems to be quiet on this at the moment...

Looking to get the same done on a slightly smaller scale so would be interested to know if/who you went with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

scorn wrote: »
    Did you get any info other than boards, which seems to be quiet on this at the moment...

Looking to get the same done on a slightly smaller scale so would be interested to know if/who you went with.

Hi Scorn,

It'll be a Spring project I think. I got samples sent over from http://ecodek.co.uk/ in Wrexham. Unfortunately my missus was snoozing with the baby when the delivery guy called and they were returned. It's a pity as I could see it was a nice big box when I looked back through the security cams.

Also got a couple of tiny samples from http://www.compositedecking.ie/ and a follow up email from www.woodford.ie who seem to be the same company (I only filled out the contact form on the compositedecking site).
    I got these about ten days ago and will leave them outdoors til Spring to see how they weather over winter. I think the make is Saige.
    The samples themselves are the hollow decking but I'd only be interested in the solid stuff myself.
    They also included a brochure on an aluminium subframe for the decking by a company called Ryno.
    It looks good and would suit the relatively damp site I have.
    Only thing I'd be concerned about is galvanic corrosion if you were near the sea as the fixings into the aluminium are stainless.

The email I got was helpful and they were quick to reply.

I've ruled Trex out on price alone. They look great and get great reviews, but could be looking at €80 for a 4.8m plank, I'd need at least 40 to keep what I have. I wouldn't mind making it a bit bigger either so it's just too dear for me.

Still digging about and will eventually make up my mind early next year so it's in for the Spring/Summer.
    I still have to follow up with some other companies.

I'll post back with any progress and I hope you do likewise!
    R.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mr chips

Was looking into this recently myself. Narrowed it down to a couple of suppliers you might want to check out:
    http://www.upmprofi-composite-decking.ie/Price-Calculator
    https://www.eglantinetimber.com/decking/composite-decking/saige-composite-decking.html

I've no connection to either company. The latter outfit also link to compositedecking.ie on their site, so you may already have what you need there with the sample. Anyway, they seemed like the best value to me at STG£43 per sq m and in a colour I prefer, so I'm happy enough to go with them - the joiner doing the job for me recommended them along with a couple of others. Should be done in the next week or ten days, so I'll post if I've any regrets!

mr chips wrote: »
    Was looking into this recently myself. Narrowed it down to a couple of suppliers you might want to check out:
    http://www.upmprofi-composite-decking.ie/Price-Calculator
    https://www.eglantinetimber.com/decking/composite-decking/saige-composite-decking.html

I've no connection to either company. The latter outfit also link to compositedecking.ie on their site, so you may already have what you need there with the sample. Anyway, they seemed like the best value to me at STG£43 per sq m and in a colour I prefer, so I'm happy enough to go with them - the joiner doing the job for me recommended them along with a couple of others. Should be done in the next week or ten days, so I'll post if I've any regrets!

Really appreciate that Mr. Chips.
    Are you getting your stuff shipped over from the UK or are you based there?

I'm in Co. Antrim, so the nearest one to me is the Whiteabbey location - which also happens to be the one I'm going with. I'm sure if I dedicated myself to an ongoing search it might be possible to find a cheaper alternative, but tbh I've too much on my plate to get stuck into that and I think the savings would be pretty marginal overall. I'm getting just under 20 sqm in total (including the sides and steps of a 10 sqm deck which is overall nearly 1m above a sloped surface), and the fitted cost including all concreting of posts, frame also made from composite material etc is STG£1600. I'm not looking for a fancy job, just something that's pretty much "fit & forget", i.e. will last without having to be oiled etc every year and whose frame won't rot where you can't get at it to treat it.
    If you're really after solid rather than hollow boards, maybe give these ones a shout too - http://www.wrg.ie/product/composite-decking-brand/composite-decking/
    I was actually going to go with them originally. However, I should give you a heads-up that my joiner had placed the order for my stuff with them at the end of June so that it'd be there when he came back from holiday (it was going to take two weeks to get it in). When he went to follow up about it, they had sold it to someone else. Was a bit peeved by that, given that I wanted this done last month to get the most use out of it in the summer, so I took my business elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Cheers,

I'll be DIYing it on my tod or with a mate so not overly concerned about fitting costs. I'm not doing it myself to save money, rather I hugely enjoy working in the garden and house. If I paid someone to do it I'd feel cheated out of one of my hobbies.

Are you getting the composite frame from the same crew? I don't see it listed on their site. I'd prefer to go either alu or composite for the frame myself too. No point in having a lovely surface when the arse is falling out of eveything from within.

Best of luck with the project. Hope it turns out well!
    R.

Apologies, it's the main posts which will be composite but the frame underneath will be pressure treated 4x4 that has been weathered outdoors for the past year. It was that or steel/aluminium, both of which would have jacked up the cost. I'm confident that thickness of timber will do the job for a good 15 years at least.

Usually I do my own stuff, but am involved in another project over these few weeks and I want this done ASAP. So I'm bringing someone in, for a change!

Just an update. I contacted ecodek.co.uk for a quote and they passed me on to deck25 who stock their product in Ireland.
    Only thing is their colours don't seem to match in naming anyway. Haven't got samples yrt but have asked for them.
    So that's another horse in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Roen wrote: »
    Just an update. I contacted ecodek.co.uk for a quote and they passed me on to deck25 who stock their product in Ireland.
    Only thing is their colours don't seem to match in naming anyway. Haven't got samples yrt but have asked for them.
    So that's another horse in the race.
    And what price per sq meter?

28sqm delivered from NI to Wex including all fittings and VAT is €2545.
    So €90/sqm.

By the way that's solid board @4.8m. Not the hollow profile stuff.

• Advertisement

Are the rails under the composite necessary? Or could stainless screws be used to screw it straight to timer joists below?

I'm not sure to be honest.

I have a damp enough site in Winter that doesn't drain all that well so I'm not considering timber for the sub structure. It'll either be composite joists on concrete pads or something like this.
    http://www.rynosupport.com/product/rynodeck-aluminium-substructure

Undecided at the mo.
    Are you are looking at solid boards? The hollow ones use T pieces that screw into the joists and clamp the boards in place. The screws are quite dear too if you go for the colour matched heads.

I'm not sure to be honest.

I have a damp enough site in Winter that doesn't drain all that well so I'm not considering timber for the sub structure. It'll either be composite joists on concrete pads or something like this.
    http://www.rynosupport.com/product/rynodeck-aluminium-substructure

Undecided at the mo.
    Are you are looking at solid boards? The hollow ones use T pieces that screw into the joists and clamp the boards in place. The screws are quite dear too if you go for the colour matched heads.

I'm taking up old timber decking but if I put rails on the timber joists then the new decking will be too high and will be catching a door. But if I could screw the solid composite to the joist I'd be ok. So basically seeing if that was doable?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm taking up old timber decking but if I put rails on the timber joists then the new decking will be too high and will be catching a door. But if I could screw the solid composite to the joist I'd be ok. So basically seeing if that was doable?

Yes, as far as I know it absolutely is.

Samples arrived from deck25. Good and solid. Will leave them out to weather with the others til spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 QBee

Has anyone got any experience of this company:

dublindecking

We are thinking of getting a wooden decking removed and a composite one installed. We have a price from this company but just wanted to know if anyone has ever dealt with them?

Thanks

Quick update on this. Was passing through the local builders providers yesterday and noticed a Trex display. Seems to have either fallen in price or I was looking at the top end line before.

Looking like I can do my area for approx €1660 (planks only) with the Trex Enhance Naturals line. The Enhance is their mid range line.

I'd have to do railings, fixings and possibly subframe on top of that but looking more affordable.
    Critically, seems to have gotten the spouse approval too as the current deck is now an absolute leg breaker of a hazard.

Quick edit,
    Enhance Basics: €29 4.8m
    Enhance Naturals: €45 4.8m

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

Samples arrived from deck25. Good and solid. Will leave them out to weather with the others til spring.

I know you went with Trex but how did the Deck 25 boards last the weather test.

Can you screw the Trex boards our is it a clip or clasp system.

Thanks

Advertisement