Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London - Edinburgh - London 2017

Options
  • 21-07-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

On Sunday 30th July I will be cycling from London to Edinburgh and back to London in 116 hours and only 1400km. That time includes all rest stops, meals and sleep. For anyone that's interested in dot watching there is a live tracking link here. I'm rider N44.

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/tracking-rider/

There are 29 Irish riders including some other Boardsies doing it so I'll have good company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's a place in dundrum for people like you :P

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nice one OP. Safe travels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Yeah, I'll go to Dundrum only if they let me have a turbo trainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Epic stuff! Rubber side down and all that. Looking forward to an equally epic report.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Fair ****s and safe travels. I would someday love to be in a position to do this. :)

• Advertisement

It'll be on again in four years! There's always Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019. If you fancy an Irish route there is the Mile Failte 1200 km next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It'll be on again in four years! There's always Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019. If you fancy an Irish route there is the Mile Failte 1200 km next year.

Best of luck NamelessPhil. Hope it goes well for you and the rest of Audax Ireland crew

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It'll be on again in four years!
    that's assuming scotland and england will be in the same trading bloc in four years, and there won't be a massive queue at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Good luck, and enjoy!

I'll be watching only having had to pull out of doing it due to a recent addition to the family. Will be hoping to get another slot in 2021.

Best of travels to you , if it helps my legs are already in pain in sympathy for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

PBP too short for you? Very best of luck with it and have a fantastic time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Best of luck NP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Best of Luck, Enjoy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Best of Luck. Not sure why people do these things but all the good cyclists are mad. And the world is a better place for it!
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Best of luck NP, I've just been reading through Shu Pillinger's account of her 2013 LEL, seems epic, looking forward to your report when you get back.

http://shupillinger.info/london-edinburgh-london-2013/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Best of all the good luck, you crazy person!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I'll try and keep this thread updated as I go en route. I leave London at 09:45 on Sunday morning.

The article above is good. I got into Audax because I'll always get dropped in a race but I can keep going all day and all night, fuelled by milk, sausage rolls and jellies! When else are you going to get to eat enormous 99s. The best days can be like an extended club spin where you set the world to rights with your mates. There's plenty of time to chat and you have to keep going.

You don't have to bring the world with you either in pannier. Most of my 200 km events I just have spare tubes and some cash.

I read someone's blog about riding from Dublin to New Ross, Carrick on Suir and back home in one day and was hooked on the idea. I did the ride myself in 2014 and it was fantastic. It remains one of my favourite days on the bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/147993384/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1440581693

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭paul a newman

See you in London !

See you in London !

Best of luck Paul.

• Advertisement

Right, everything is ready. I'm in the hotel, 9km from the start. The first riders including two Irish riders are off at 5am tomorrow. Some of them will be aiming to finish in 80 hours or less.

All I have to do for five days is eat, sleep, ride, repeat! What's not to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Treat it as 5 separate events, leave @ 0500/0600 and arrive in time for grub and sleep well. Good luck and enjoy each day !

In Barnard Castle, 472km done since 09:45 yesterday. There's a horrible headwind but it's sunny. 83km to the next control.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

Unless you are going the wrong way theres always a headwind !:D

Halfway. 32 hours actual cycling, real time 52 hours, average speed 22kph for 711km.

Now to do it all again in reverse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Some good stampage going on there. Do you make up your own route or is there a specific route you have to follow? I'm wondering how they can know already how many kms you've done.

nee wrote: »
    Some good stampage going on there. Do you make up your own route or is there a specific route you have to follow? I'm wondering how they can know already how many kms you've done.

Fixed route with controls along the way where your brevet stamped (see picture in post above). There's a bit of honesty in how you do the route. Given it's not a race as such, you'd only be fooling yourself if you don't do the route provided.

Details of the LEL route > https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Halfway. 32 hours actual cycling, real time 52 hours, average speed 22kph for 711km.

Now to do it all again in reverse.

Good to see the vitally important plate of food nudging its way into the pic. Remember: eat, sleep, pedal...

py wrote: »
    Fixed route with controls along the way where your brevet stamped (see picture in post above). There's a bit of honesty in how you do the route. Given it's not a race as such, you'd only be fooling yourself if you don't do the route provided.

Details of the LEL route > https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route

Incorrect

"The route we provide is optional. You are free to use any route you choose as long as you visit the control points in the right order"

You just have to hit the controls within the specified time limits.

The French do it a little different
    "Riders must stay on the official route. Please be aware that the insurance cover will be invalid if you deviate from the official route"

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Incorrect

"The route we provide is optional. You are free to use any route you choose as long as you visit the control points in the right order"

You just have to hit the controls within the specified time limits.

The French do it a little different
    "Riders must stay on the official route. Please be aware that the insurance cover will be invalid if you deviate from the official route"

Sorry, was basing that from the ACP rules. Interesting to see that you just have to hit the controls in order for the LEL.

Advertisement