Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Grid house with full remedial works needed

Options
  • 21-07-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, Im nearing close to going sale agreed on a 100yr old cottage that has never been connected to the grid and not lived in for almost 10 years. It comes complete with a rusty outdoor bath and a rustic outdoor toilet :D I will be engaging a structural surveyor once we are at the pre-contract stage but for now Im just trying to get my head around the sheer amount of work that is needed just to make it somewhat habitable and how big a dent it will put in my overall budget.

It is approx 75sqm with very thick walls, likely limestone render. Im wondering would anyone know ballpark figures for the following-

Connection to ESB grid
    First time wiring of the house, not looking for bells and whistles, just the essentials.
    A whole new concrete floor from the foundation up with DWC installed also
    Septic tank & plumbing (it has a hole dug but I can only assume the septic tank needs a full overhaul)
    Asbestos removal- a mate mentioned a ballpark of 15-20 euro per sq.m- is this about correct?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there any missing info I can add to my first post to help get a response? Just looking for ball park-ish figures , if I am asking how long is a piece of string someone please say so :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there any missing info I can add to my first post to help get a response? Just looking for ball park-ish figures , if I am asking how long is a piece of string someone please say so :o

Why not get the surveys done now?
    Get the survey, architect or QS in now to advise on rough estimates, no point putting them off.

Also get advice on it planning status, if it has been derelict for a certain amount of time, it may require planning to reinstate the residential use.

Advertisement