Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pirrone wins by 12 seconds

Chapeau Pirrone !!!! What a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LionofFingal

Hi folks, does anybody know if any pubs are showing the televised Men’s World Road Race Championship this coming Sunday 24th September….?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes, "The pheasant" is showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

30 years since Stephen Roche wons the Worlds, can his son do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Borderfox wrote: »
    30 years since Stephen Roche wons the Worlds, can his son do it?

or his nephew ??

There was a picture a few weeks ago of Dan Martin and once you cover the mouth & nose he looks so like Stephen Roche used to look like ...it was uncanny....

Hi folks, does anybody know if any pubs are showing the televised Men’s World Road Race Championship this coming Sunday 24th September….?

Thanks

You are going to be very drunk ( and very broke) ...its on 7 hours from 9.30am to 4.30pm (irish time) :D:D:D

The Irish lads are very good prices ...esp for e/w bets

Dan Martin is 300/1
    Nicolas Roche is 500/1

(the last time I looked)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

neris wrote: »
    we,ll need a poll for best police tackle of the year before the seasons out.

https://twitter.com/ronnyjowe/status/910535076068384769

I think the police need to absolutely smash these idiots running along side the riders. Jonah Lomu job.
    One day, Dan Martin will be riding away to a famous win, and some fool in a red jacket will knock him off his bike, and I'll end up sending me shoe into the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone watching the U23 Men's RR?

Not watching it myself, but based on the live timing, Teggart, Downey, Feeley, and O'Mahony seem to be still in the main peloton. Stenson is further back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Anyone watching the U23 Men's RR?

Not watching it myself, but based on the live timing, Teggart, Downey, Feeley, and O'Mahony seem to be still in the main peloton. Stenson is further back.
    just looking the cyclingnews ticker but some big hitters in the latest break; Jai Hindley (Australia), Brandon McNulty (USA), Pavel Sivakov (Russia), Rasmus Fossum Tiller (Norway), Patrick Muller (Switzerland), Gustav Hoog (Sweden) and Yevgeniy Gidich (Kazakhstan).

winner from that lot... Sivakov signed with Sky or some big team didnt he?

Just switched on , 50km to go. Hopefully this lives up to the junior women this morning.

1:27 to the break and more looking to get off the front of the peloton at the minute. So far from being settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Irish lads are on the back of the peloton the break is 1:25 up the road with 50km left

Saw this on stickybottle earlier, these photos never get old, Stenson is about 5'5'' :D

Dunne-2-e1505997964621-600x827.jpg

watching now...still an Irish rider 2 irish riders involved

One Irish rider sat about 15th wheel in the peloton can't see who it is and where the 2nd lad is. 10km to go.

I put which ever of the irish lads it was top 10-12 place there.

EDIT: No Downey took 9th !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Downey 9th...some result.

Great ride by Downey ..saw him try and move up a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

thekooman wrote: »
    Downey 9th...some result.
    better than Sam Bennett's result in Valkenberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

If you add in Dunbar and o loughlin we have a great bunch coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What were the time gaps?

Well Nico is up for it on Sunday

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/roche-before-i-stop-id-love-to-deliver-at-worlds/?utm_content=buffer73f65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Got to be tired after the Vuelta....where as Dan may be fresher

Next years course really suits both the Irish riders ...as harder climbs but not alpine racing

Eamonnator wrote: »
    What were the time gaps?

Only a few seconds between 2nd and the bunch ( of aboout 30)

1st and 2nd sprinted it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The Irish lads are very good prices ...esp for e/w bets

Dan Martin is 300/1
    Nicolas Roche is 500/1

(the last time I looked)

Seriously??

Sounds like an extra zero thrown in there in both cases. I will send tenner in both if what you say is correct!
    Dan might be the better man on pedigree- but I have a funny feeling that Nico has a really big one in him eventually. This could be it, Vuelta firm was quite good. Just hope he makes some good tactical decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Seriously??

Sounds like an extra zero thrown in there in both cases. I will send tenner in both if what you say is correct!
    Dan might be the better man on pedigree- but I have a funny feeling that Nico has a really big one in him eventually. This could be it, Vuelta firm was quite good. Just hope he makes some good tactical decisions

Now, you could be right, but when it comes to big, star studded fields like you'd get in 1 day classics, we know where our money would be. I think the climb is too far from the finish for Dan though.

I'd see our lads doing decent top 20 rides, maybe top 15.

Here are the betting site
    https://www.betfair.com/sport/cycling

Nico has now dropped to 300 and Dan 200s

And Dan is 300s here
    https://www.bet365.com/#/AC/B38/C20545909/D1/E34458999/F2/

And Nico is 500s here
    http://sports.coral.co.uk/cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What a great place to cycle! Love it there. Might have to take a trip over to this one.

Oh I totally agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Well Nico is up for it on Sunday

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/roche-before-i-stop-id-love-to-deliver-at-worlds/?utm_content=buffer73f65&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Got to be tired after the Vuelta....where as Dan may be fresher

Next years course really suits both the Irish riders ...as harder climbs but not alpine racing

I know the course isn't really right but come on Dan, Nico and the lads! Love that of those two, in terms of personality I'd find them in how they come across so easy to like. Would be amazing if in their era, they managed something like the 87 Roche win where Kelly & Roche rode so selflessy for each other.

Obviously they were world renowned in the world of cycling but I remember hearing of I think Italian journalists questioning one or other of them over who really was team leader & the nature of the Irish tactics in one of the Worlds - given the Italian history of conflicting egos scuppering their own team they presumably expected similar animosities, hidden or otherwise between Roche & Kelly given their statures. When told by say Roche ,that he & Kelly would talk tactics over deeper that night in their hotel room, the journos were incredulous that such stars would actually share a room. Roche then brought them to the hotel lobby to prove that, yes, he & Sean Kelly were sharing a hotel room that night. Such a great down-to-earth unspoilt image in the midst of that world of fame, stardom, egos, etc. Brings on real Proud to be Irish stuff!

• Advertisement

Kelly & Roche were great rivasl too ... but full of humour

1987 Paris Nice caused alot of bother between them... Sean says Roche still hadnt fully forgiven him and during this years commentary of that race (Stephen Roche was presenting the prizes) & Kirby & Kellys were having issues with their car...Kirby said to Sean if they broke down the motorway then they could get a lift from Roche ...Sean said he'd pass them out and leave them there no problem...:D

Advertisement