Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's 2017

Comments

We've 3 lads starting in this I think? Haven't been able to spot them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seen two in the peleton, break has near 2 mins it seems.

Timing is incorrect it seems.

Saw this on cycling ireland site, a piece with Sandy Gilchrist getting the bikes ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=87&v=-82MZv14nLc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It's good to see a few Ireland flags flying around the lap anyway.

It's been a well supported Worlds anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Itziger wrote: »
    What a day that was! I was there with a friend I met on the boat going over before we went our separate inter railing ways. Said we'd meet in the village on the Sat night and find a camp site. Pissed rain all night and we were well miserable the next morning. Even though we were hopeful, the Italians couldn't see themselves being beaten. They had 4 or 5 fancies and bloody thousands of camper vans. Boy did we enjoy the last lap or two. Although I remember Martin Earley doing great work at one stage to bring a break back. Anyway, we managed to get towards the finish line just as the race ended and we hopped the barriers to congratulate Roche in the flesh. I remember him looking at me thinking, who the fook is this fella??!! We were kicked out by an Austrian cop just as the medal ceremony was about to begin. Never forget the emotion and joy as long as I live.

Great to hear that! Fantastic stuff. That attack up the inside so hopefully noone could follow him by Roche near teh end was about as much a thing of beauty in cycling as I've seen. Huge mix of intelligence & grace as a cyclist as well of course as hardness. On the weather side, I remember Kellly/Roche saing they were pleased it was bad as this would eliminate a fair few from the mix just in terms of will to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Saw this on cycling ireland site, a piece with Sandy Gilchrist getting the bikes ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=87&v=-82MZv14nLc

Hope he had a good check over O'Loughlin's bikes this time around.

Great cycle by Johannsen, really bossing the last lap! Chapeau!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

How'd the Irish lads do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

womens road race just about to start on bbc red button bbc 1 from 2 pm

No Carton on Eurosport for the womens race :)

Hard to look passed the Dutch ladies for this one I think.

Ohhhhh no , 7 or 8 down in the tunnel just 500m from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

How'd the Irish lads do?

(79) Luke Smith
    (81) Patrick Doogan
    (89) Ben Walsh

All 8 minutes down, out of 129 finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

25 minutes into their coverage and only now are the BBC showing the women's race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

I haven't managed to spot Lydia even once during this race, anyone know how she's doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I haven't managed to spot Lydia even once during this race, anyone know how she's doing?

8:51 down coming through the end of the lap the last time, so well and truly dropped, unfortunately. She was a bit over 3 mins down the previous one, and was in the bunch up to that. Timings of laps are available online here: http://www.uci.ch/road/uciroadworldchampionships/bergen/livetimingbytissot/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

No Carton on Eurosport for the womens race :)

Hard to look passed the Dutch ladies for this one I think.

Ohhhhh no , 7 or 8 down in the tunnel just 500m from the start.

It's on bbc1 with Boardman commentating

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Lydia Boylan has pulled out unfortunately.

Haven't really seen any of the Worlds till now. I'e a cousin living in Bergen - looks a nice place. Great also to see the event so well supported in terms of crowds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Brilliant ride by Blaak,super race

Expected country won, but unexpected rider. She deserves it though. Amazing racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Great race. And a Luxo gets 6th. YaY!

(To be fair, Majerus is a top pro)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

great race but not understanding the bbc saying team gb had a brilliant race, seems to me they burnt there riders too early.

well done to the dutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Michelin

Hope he had a good check over O'Loughlin's bikes this time around.

Careless of someone that's for sure, at this level to have two bikes unable to get around the world champs is unacceptable. Poor preparation of equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

On the other note - ITT men's junior bronze medallist's bike stolen.

http://naszosie.pl/2017/09/19/bergen-2017-filip-maciejuks-bike-has-been-stolen/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm looking forward to the Men's race tomorrow. So many riders have a genuine, realistic chance of winning it. It should be fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

pelevin wrote: »
    Haven't really seen any of the Worlds till now. I'e a cousin living in Bergen - looks a nice place. Great also to see the event so well supported in terms of crowds.

You really should have made the trip over pelevin.
    Bergen looks great and the crowds have been fantastic.
    The climb at the finale of the Men's Elite TT on Wednesday looked amazing

pelevin wrote: »

Pat McQuaid on commentary :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

You really should have made the trip over pelevin.
    Bergen looks great and the crowds have been fantastic.
    The climb at the finale of the Men's Elite TT on Wednesday looked amazing

Wonder how many people theyve had out over the week watching all the races compared to last year. <SNIP>. Last year was a joke of an event and this years has just proved that money shouldnt buy the event alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I'm looking forward to the Men's race tomorrow. So many riders have a genuine, realistic chance of winning it. It should be fascinating.

I am looking forward to it too ....esp since the Belgian team are so strong and cannot leave the race to end in a sprint ....and also will be looking to do a job on Sagan , Kwaito and Matthews ....This scenario alone will make it very interesting
    Plus the Italians with a mish mash of rider types including sprinters, roulers and TTers may have some way out tactics ...

I am guessing Connor Dunne for the initial break along with Alexander de Marchi :D:D:D

• Advertisement

going with alaphilippe or teuns to take it or trentin as an outside hope. For no other reason than recent form. Course is a lottery tomorrow 260km + mucho climbing. Quintana will be there but has he a chance?

Advertisement