Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

Sagan. Master of timing. Legend.

At one point Brian Smith thought he'd been dropped from the main bunch such was his anonymity :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

glasso wrote: »
    Sagan. Master of timing. Legend.

He's made a bags of it plenty of times in the past but not at the worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Subpopulus wrote: »
    That lingering shot of an empty road really had me on edge.

That lingering shot of so many motorbikes.

Great finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Was that Dan with leading group and Nico a minute back. Fair showing from our boys tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Thank god he got a proper haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Sagan had his cloak of invisibility on all day.

He did the same thing in Richmond in 2015 - appeared out of nowhere half way up the final climb. He's got a great sense of when to make his move.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Subpopulus wrote: »
    That lingering shot of an empty road really had me on edge.

For me it really added to the anticipation to see what is going to come round the corner. And Sagan! The man isn't human

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Unbe-fcuking-lievable. Sagan is a legend.

Read a quote from him saying that he wasn't pulling anyone to the finish. I genuinely thought he had pulled out and it was just his brother Juri in the bunch.

Great effort from Kristoff - nearly held on. Matthews can go bang his bars all he wants. He's not in the same league as Sagan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

26th for Dan and 34th for Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Dan 26th
    Nico 34th
    3 DNF
    1 DNS

Classy dedications there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

velo.2010 wrote: »
    [...] Matthews can go bang his bars all he wants. He's not in the same league as Sagan.

Sagan is in his own league. Alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Next years parcours should make for a good race, you'd think Dan would be among the favourites?

2018roadracesprofile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Amazing finish. Bloody delighted for Sagan. Other than an Irish man winning you couldn't ask for better. To think I didn't like Sagan when he first came on the scene. Absolute legend confirmed now no matter what he wins in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Classy dedications there.

Yes, his dedication of the race to Michele Scarponi was a lovely touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Good performance from the Brits, Ben Swift in 5th place

Nice touch dedicating the win to Scarponi who died out training this year in a crash with a van and whose birthday it would have been tomorrow.. Just seems like a naturally decent guy, whilst also being a fierce and super-talented cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

As Jimmy would have said "Different Class"

RIP Jimmy and Michel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Inquitus wrote: »
    Next years parcours should make for a good race, you'd think Dan would be among the favourites?

2018roadracesprofile.png

Next year suits both top Irish riders but both would have to be in form
    A Tour /Vuelta double is too much racing imo
    A Tour and ToB is good prep....

would also mean not having injury

Valverde, Nibai and co wil be targetting it I am sure

Wasn't a great race really, not quite hard enough and the climb a bit too far from the finish, shame we lost the pictures for the most important bit! Fair fecks to Sagan twas a wheelsuckers course and he stayed anonymous and only hit the front on the line, much like Kristoff and Mathews tried to do as well. Good ride from Ben Swift, he just lacks that world class speed at the very last.

Good to see Dunne and McKenna get some good TV time, and a decent race from Roche and Dan on a course that really did not suit either of them, added Qudos for Nico on an excellent TT results, 12th is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Good job Sagan has never really lived up to his potential or god knows how many worlds he would have won

BTW...2 weeks to Lombardia ...enough time for Dan Martin to fine tune imo

MPFGLB wrote: »
    BTW...2 weeks to Lombardia ...enough time for Dan Martin to fine tune imo

Yep his form seems good, he made the final major selection of 30 odd today on a parcours that really didn't suit him, hopefully on the basis of that he should be in decent enough form for the final Monument of the year in Lombardia in 2 weeks!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yep his form seems good, he made the final major selection of 30 odd today on a parcours that really didn't suit him, hopefully on the basis of that he should be in decent enough form for the final Monument of the year in Lombardia in 2 weeks!

Just saw Dan on a video by Cycling Ireland saying he is very tired

Nico is also very tired and was caught behind the crash today ...hence not in front group

Maybe they can must a bit of energy for Lombardia....course is more suited to them both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Kelly always says to keep your nose out of the wind, Sagan was hardly mentioned until well inside the final 1 Km. Thrilled for him, i wonder what Mark Cavendish was thinking?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Moscon DQ'ed for taking a tow from the team car coming back from crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Delighted Sagan won & very respectable form the Irish lads. I'm not so sure the course couldn't have suited Dan. Maybe if he'd had more racing legs, he could have gone with Alaphilippe attack, and add in the likes of Gilbert and that move could have been enough to win. Sagan said he thought the win was gone, that the attackers had the win between them. I'd still like to have see a more active race in terms of it not all coming in the last lap, but I thought there was enough there for the likes of Kwiatkowski, Sagan, Gilbert, etc to have made decisive moves if so inclined & with the legs - as I think shown by Alaphilippe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sagan went all in on the bunch coming back together, and it worked perfectly for him. On another day a break would have succeeded.
    On the other hand, if he had tried to chase down and join a break, others would have been q'ing up to get on his wheel.
    He gambled and it paid off, fair play to him.

Advertisement