Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Not sure why MUllen is not riding the TT...strange as it is his best discipline and he came 5th last year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Not sure why MUllen is not riding the TT...strange as it is his best discipline and he came 5th last year

Was just going to ask the same!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Damien Shaw was riding A1 only 4 years ago was it? and is now off to the World Champs at 33. Fair play.

Odd one alright Mullen not doing the TT, didn't he take bronze at the Euro's last month? OK I'd expect the field to be much stronger here but I'd still not rule him out of a decent placing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He must be looking at the hill at the end and thinking it doesn't suit him.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He must be looking at the hill at the end and thinking it doesn't suit him.

Thw hill is not that long and every worlds TT could have a hill

He needs to continue to test himslef against the best TTers on all terraine to improve

Very very strange decision ...after all he is hardly going to be better on the hill in the RR

Must be why the team announcement was delayed....maybe they tried to persuade him

• Registered Users Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is Phil Deignan injured? Thought he would have liked to race in the worlds after a v quiet season...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is Phil Deignan injured? Thought he would have liked to race in the worlds after a v quiet season...

No he raced in Canada last weekend and Tour of Burgos before that, think he abandoned there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Thw hill is not that long and every worlds TT could have a hill

He needs to continue to test himslef against the best TTers on all terraine to improve

Very very strange decision ...after all he is hardly going to be better on the hill in the RR

Must be why the team announcement was delayed....maybe they tried to persuade him

After missing out on grand tour selection this year maybe wants to show he's more than just a TT'er to avoid the same thing happening at Trek...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

No Sam Bennett either.

edit: hes ill

• Advertisement

Its a little disappointing that we dont take up our full allocation of spots. Surely it would be a good opportunity for someone to gain the experience of the worlds if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Its a little disappointing that we dont take up our full allocation of spots. Surely it would be a good opportunity for someone to gain the experience of the worlds if nothing else

What allocation are we entitled to? Do all six on the list get to start the road race? Six seems like more than we've had in ages, or ever?

check_six wrote: »
    What allocation are we entitled to? Do all six on the list get to start the road race? Six seems like more than we've had in ages, or ever?

We are only using one of the two TT spots in the mens and in the Womens we could have sent a maximum of three riders to the women’s road race and are sending one and we are only using one of the two spots in the TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

odyssey06 wrote: »

He's definitely not injured anyway because Lizzie Deignan posted a photo on Instagram a few hours ago of her first post-surgery spin, which happened to be with Phil and Nico Roche

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZBUgEdgAiu/

So is there any real reaason for Mullen not to be doing the TT...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Lydia Boylan confirmed for the ladies road racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

So is there any real reaason for Mullen not to be doing the TT...
    Simple.The parcours doesn't suit him.Its been knocking about for months that he wasn't doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pity Lydia can't have more support in the women's race, plenty of strong women around to support her you would have thought...

nee wrote: »
    Pity Lydia can't have more support in the women's race, plenty of strong women around to support her you would have thought...

Pisses me off big time. Strong or not at least give someone capable of avoiding the broom wagon even a day out and a chance to see what the big stage is like with the pros . Even from a point of view where showing them what it's like might drive them to improve or raise their ambitions. I mean we don't not send runners etc to events because they'll go out in the heats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

wav1 wrote: »
    Simple.The parcours doesn't suit him.Its been knocking about for months that he wasn't doing it.

A rolling course with one short, steep climb? Surely he can handle that?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

How steep was the climb at the nationals?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pisses me off big time. Strong or not at least give someone capable of avoiding the broom wagon even a day out and a chance to see what the big stage is like with the pros . Even from a point of view where showing them what it's like might drive them to improve or raise their ambitions. I mean we don't not send runners etc to events because they'll go out in the heats.

Plenty of actual strong women out there that could support here, not just dodge the broomwagon. I can only imagine the energy that would be expended if a similar situation happened with the men's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

Weepsie wrote: »
    Damien Shaw was riding A1 only 4 years ago was it? and is now off to the World Champs at 33. Fair play.

And he's a fireman. This is Roy of the Rovers stuff. Surely worth an article in a mainstream paper sports supplement.
    I was cheering on Contador the other day like any other fanboy but the Damien Shaw story of the last 2-3 years is just fantastic. Really inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Seen a lot of this kinda "yeaara I could do that myself" sort of outlook on Mullen giving the TT a miss. The lad is 23 and has 12000k of racing in his legs this year.
    I think he's probably in the best position to decide if he can "handle" the course.
    The climb at the end is 3.4k at a 9.1% average. In TT's like the europeans this year it was so flat that power and speed become absolute and w/kg don't really matter.
    Chuck in a climb like that at the end and it tips the balance toward the likes of Froome (Dumoulin to win though).
    Mullen is about 80kg. Averaged 440w for his Bronze in the Europeans. Massive numbers...but not so much on 10% gradients.

nee wrote: »
    Plenty of actual strong women out there that could support here, not just dodge the broomwagon. I can only imagine the energy that would be expended if a similar situation happened with the men's.

Sorry nee I was likely a bit inarticulate as usual :o. I'm sure you get my meaning though. Fill the slots with the best we have is what I meant to imply.

Seen a lot of this kinda "yeaara I could do that myself" sort of outlook on Mullen giving the TT a miss. The lad is 23 and has 12000k of racing in his legs this year.
    I think he's probably in the best position to decide if he can "handle" the course.
    The climb at the end is 3.4k at a 9.1% average. In TT's like the europeans this year it was so flat that power and speed become absolute and w/kg don't really matter.
    Chuck in a climb like that at the end and it tips the balance toward the likes of Froome (Dumoulin to win though).
    Mullen is about 80kg. Averaged 440w for his Bronze in the Europeans. Massive numbers...but not so much on 10% gradients.

He is 77kg ...Tony Martin is 75Kg, Rohan Dennis is 72kg and Stefan Kung is 85kg , Maciej Bodnar = 72Kg and Thomas = 71KG

The thing is not about him wining...its about him taking part and going up against these guys .. Bigger guys from all over the world enter the TT for their country without any chance of wining

Nico Roche is 70Kg and he will give it a good go ....as he does on very steep and very long climbs...

ITT in worlds usually have climbs ...if you want to progress you take part ..no course is ever 100% suitable

And as for too much racing in his legs why is he doing the RR if that is the case...harder day and not something he has a hope in hell of featuring in

Mind boggling....what happened to wanting to represent your country
    Its a poor show ..and other lads representing their country will be as young and have raced as much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Mind boggling....what happened to wanting to represent your country
    Its a poor show ..and other lads representing their country will be as young and have raced as much

Is that a different Ryan Mullan representing Ireland in the RR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Seen a lot of this kinda "yeaara I could do that myself"

Thanks for the unwarranted and incredibly condescending post. I most certainly do not have that thought contrary to what you have asserted.

Keeks wrote: »
    Is that a different Ryan Mullan representing Ireland in the RR?

But that is where it makes no sense ...why enter an event where you willbe no where and not enter an event where you are among the best in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Just seen what look amazingly long odds of over 20/1 on Tony Martin. Does that make sense given the nature of teh course - that he is a rank outsider? And if the course is that stacked towards guys good at climbing, the 4/1 odds on Froome seem generous also in that light.

Ryan Mullen's absence in the TT seems very odd to me also, just to say it.

Advertisement