Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Tony Martin may not like the course but he will still ride and go for it ....even if he knows he cannot win

Looks like its a Froome course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It does indeed look like a weird course for a TT. If they want a flat/rolling TT, pick a course specifically for it. If they want a hill climb TT, pick a course for it. The course for this one looks like they want both, and suits nobody, which is why so many want to swap bikes between the two sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Agree with Martin on the course profile, disagree with him on the bike change. Doubt there's anything in the rules about having to stick to the same set up for a whole TT, and after that there are lots of times that bike changes happen in TT's due to mechanicals.

Putting in some rule about only changing to the same bike would have unintended consequences for smaller, poorer nations (and teams and riders if it went down) as they may only have one TT bike. So if they have a mechanical they have to stand at the road and get it fixed, whilst others get straight on their spare?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Agree with Martin on the course profile, disagree with him on the bike change. Doubt there's anything in the rules about having to stick to the same set up for a whole TT, and after that there are lots of times that bike changes happen in TT's due to mechanicals.

Putting in some rule about only changing to the same bike would have unintended consequences for smaller, poorer nations (and teams and riders if it went down) as they may only have one TT bike. So if they have a mechanical they have to stand at the road and get it fixed, whilst others get straight on their spare?

They should provide neutral service TT bikes of various sizes and let it be known in advance what the pedal is. Probably some sort of toe strap like the power grip would work best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weepsie wrote: »
    They should provide neutral service TT bikes of various sizes and let it be known in advance what the pedal is. Probably some sort of toe strap like the power grip would work best.
    They've struggled with all the variables even in the Tour and standard road bikes!

Anyway, I've kinda been thinking about it, I think I've changed my mind on agreeing with Martin on the TT course. Opens up a new aspect as to whether it is worth the time spend changing the bike and getting back up to speed or just sticking with TT (and then looking at wheel options too).

My bet would be Froome will stick with TT, given Marseille in the tour this year, and I think in a recent vuelta with a mountain TT didn't he stay full tt, when others changed to modified road bike? Probably a few others playing mind games as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't see any of it but Tom Pidcock won the Junior Men's TT this morning. He's the national (GB), European, and world champion at junior level in cyclo-cross... some serious talent.

Xeno Young and Ben Walsh came 30th and 45th respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I didn't see any of it but Tom Pidcock won the Junior Men's TT this morning. He's the national (GB), European, and world champion at junior level in cyclo-cross... some serious talent.

Xeno Young and Ben Walsh came 30th and 45th respectively.

unbelievable time :eek:... and the Irish lads are no slouches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Have Sky signed Pidcock yet?

I know he's signed with Telnet Fidea for CX for two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Have Sky signed Pidcock yet?

I know he's signed with Telnet Fidea for CX for two years

no, Team Wiggins :rolleyes:

Only half caught the graphic think Eileen is 32 to start.

Weird conditions on coarse, dry at the ramp and wet about 6-7 km out.

EDIT: She's up in 6 or 7 riders time

• Advertisement

Great scenes there at the end with Van Vleuten hopping the barriers to go hug her mum :)

Doesn't seem at all excited to have won :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I reckon, it's between Chris Froome and Tom Dumoulin for the win.
    On the bike change issue, I think the U.C.I. would have to change the rule book to prevent riders from switching bikes.

Eileen Burns finished 40th out of 52 riders

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I reckon, it's between Chris Froome and Tom Dumoulin for the win.
    On the bike change issue, I think the U.C.I. would have to change the rule book to prevent riders from switching bikes.

For the course, last year was Pan-Flat, the lighter riders were as likely miffed as Tony is this year.

With so many riders planning to switch bikes, they'll need to have the Bike Changing Zone, to prevent chaos on the road.

If one rider is impeded by another rider taking a bike, this will be bad. CX Style changes for the Belgians on a twitter video. Most CX mechanics are in the USA for the Trek Wisconsin World Cup Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here's how they need to change bikes without losing any time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luC-SEZ6oRs

Saw this on cycling news
    The UCI have explained that the bike change must occur in a 20-metre section, on the carpet. Only three people can assist the rider: two mechanics and a coach. The rider can be given a push by the mechanic but this must end when the red carpet ends. A race official will apparently blow a whistle to indicate when the pushing has to stop.

Because the climb to the finish of Mount Fløyen is narrow, each rider will be followed by a mechanic on a motorbike with a spare bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Great scenes there at the end with Van Vleuten hopping the barriers to go hug her mum :)

Doesn't seem at all excited to have won :D

Great to see her back at the very top after her Rio crash. Things could have turned out very bad for her but she is back where she was. Awesome! Sport is great and even better when things like this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Great to see her back at the very top after her Rio crash. Things could have turned out very bad for her but she is back where she was. Awesome! Sport is great and even better when things like this happen.

She bounced back fairly quickly afterwards and had some good wins earlier in the year including when she destroyed the field at le tour.

Elite Men's TT: Bergen - Mount Floyen (31 km)

65 starters, with the first rider off at 13:05 and the last at 17:03:30. Nico Roche starts at 16:05 (all local times).

Full start list is here.

Live coverage on Eurosport1 at 12:00 and on BBC2 at 14:30 (Irish/UK time).

Live data/timing is available on the UCI website.

Odds: Tom Dumoulin 4/7; Chris Froome 7/2; Rohan Dennis 9/2; Primoz Roglic 16/1; Maciej Bodnar 18/1; Tony Martin 25/1; Vasil Kiryienka 40/1.
    428344.jpg

My money is on Kwiatkowski. His performance in the hills and on the last tt in the tour and his "keeping it going but not all out" form since then speaks to me.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    My money is on Kwiatkowski. His performance in the hills and on the last tt in the tour and his "keeping it going but not all out" form since then speaks to me.

I'll gladly take your money and give you some really good odds on Kwiatkowski if you want.... ;)

Half an eye on it while I get some stuff done here, road looks wet in places but not raining at the moment. One rider so far opted to start on a road bike.

I'll gladly take your money and give you some really good odds on Kwiatkowski if you want.... ;)

Too late. I gave it to a lad called Paddy already.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Too late. I gave it to a lad called Paddy already.

Will they give you your money back... Considering he isn't racing the TT :D

Will they give you your money back... Considering he isn't racing the TT :D

Feck! Must take a look so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

never underestimate the power of Vasil Kiriyenka !

although it would take someone on a flyer to beat the top 3 in the betting. I am looking forward to seeing a good ride by Stefan Kueng if it continues to rain

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lutsenko messed up clipping into his bike change and got a solid push outside the mat, and the next rider had jelly legs and couldn't change properly. Bit chaotic already

Edit: two riders arrive on the mat at the same time. This is funny :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Atmosphere on the climb incredible

Decent crowds at the top and on the way up from the looks of it.

Hansen TT biking the hill. Could have an issue as some opted not to change there but were close to other riders and could be problematic should both decide on a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Atmosphere on the climb incredible

Norwegians are generally good crowds for events - usually cross country skiing and biathlon but they're happy to stand out for hours in all sorts of weather and cheer the athletes.

Advertisement