Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parmoor Gunstocks

Options
  • 21-07-2017 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Anybody ever deal with Parmoor Gunstocks. Based in Yorkshire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I haven't, but there are four fellow shooters in our club who have one version or the other of their benchrest stocks on their .22 BR rifles.

They are, I have to say, utterly gorgeous to behold. Hopefully, by the end of this year, I'll be able to make a more personal comment, when I get my old Anschutz fitted with a suitable model.

They represent extremely good value for money by any standards, and, as their site notes, they can copy anything and remake it in a wide variety of finishes/colours.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Would a thumbhole stock improve my shooting skills. How prone are they to warping. A timber one. What would I expect to pay for one.

Would a thumbhole stock improve my shooting skills.

It depends. What are your present shooting skills like? A thumbhole stock, for many people, allows them better control of keeping the rifle vertical, as the grip angle can be quite different to that of a regular stock.

How prone are they to warping.

I don't believe that Parmoor are in the business of making stocks that warp - laminated stocks tend not to do that, especially those designed for bench rest. The one-off laminated stock on one of my BSA Martini rifles is around thirty years old, and it hasn't budged a micron yet.

What would I expect to pay for one.

Get on to the Parmoor website - they invite questions. They also show prices.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

It will be used mainly for hunting. Maybe the original plastic stock might be as good. Prices are scarce on the website. I emailed them so I should get a reply shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

I have just been through a very frustrating experience dealing with this company. I can whole heartedly advise against anyone else on here putting themselves through the same thing..... Cheaper does not always mean value for money.

• Advertisement

Please expand on your comment for the benefit of the rest of us, some of whom might well be contemplating dealing with this company.

TIA

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Sorry for the delay, I'm working nights.
    I'll start by saying that the stock I eventually received is good. Not anymore than good. I had  to carry out further inletting myself to get the action and barrel to fit right. I asked for the stock unfinished so I knew I would have some sanding etc to do. While the guy I was dealing with sounded genuine enough on the phone there's only so many unanswered calls and then excuses any person can put up with. If you are prepared to wait months and months, and not weeks as promised then maybe the saving is worth it.
    I couldn't read the OPs post and not give a word of warning.

Regards,

smallfry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I have no dealings with Parmoor,
    but if you're intent on purchasing a laminate stock another company worth considering and one I can recommend are Form Rifle Stocks. I found them very helpful and prompt in their dealings.

Advertisement