Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of life why don't we be put to sleep

Options
  • 22-07-2017 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Watching my father in his final days in this world and every bit of life draining from his body. He had a long and happy life but now after nearly 90 years I see him suffering every organ has packed up except the heart which still keeps going, Its sad to see him like this, like he said himself the other day I had a great ould spin and its time to go,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sad to hear of your situation, and I fully agree with your sentiments.

I do think there will come the day when the authorities allow us to escape the pain with our own decision, rather than criminalise it.

I wish you and your family all the best, and your father a peaceful passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck op, we 've been there, it's not easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Totally agree.

Watched my mother in law die for a year. It wasn't what she wanted and it was agony to watch this lovely, funny, strong woman suffer so much.

Sorry for your situation popa smurf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

popa smurf, my heart goes out to you. I've watched a loved one die a long, lingering death and it's horrendous. It has left me with strong feelings about living wills, euthanasia and end of life matters. Most of us would like a quick, peaceful, painless death but alas that's not going to happen. I wish there were legal provisions out there for a person's life to be ended if they're suffering and have expressed a wish to die. The reality of it is a lot different though and my guess is that legislating for it would be a minefield. Anyway, here isn't the place to debate such matters. I hope your father will be comfortable during his last days. Is he receiving palliative care? It's a rollercoaster of a time for you all so all I can do is wish you well. Enjoy (if that's the word for it) your remaining time with your dad and don't leave anything unsaid. Don't forget to take care of yourself too. It's so easy to forget about you when you're thinking of your dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi op, hope all is OK and your dad is comfortable in his last days and hours.

Is he receiving any palliative care. In this day and age, palliative nurses can make patients comfortable at and near the end, there is no reason for suffering in this day and age. I don't know what the exact circumstances are obviously, and how long ye have left together, but if he is in hospital or a nursing home, he should surely be able to get someone to give him some ease.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope ye all get sorted out OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Is there something about a pump thats used containing different medication like codeine, morphine etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

No advice to offer, but wishing your father a peaceful passing and strength to you and your family. Be strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

2forjoy wrote: »
    Is there something about a pump thats used containing different medication like codeine, morphine etc .

Yep, depending on the dying person's circumstances, they may administer morphine or other opioids. It's not the only tool in their armoury though. Hopefully the OP's dad is being looked after at this awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Over about ten weeks I saw my mother go from a very active gardener to someone who needed help to get from the bed to the wheelchair. Her last days were on a morphine pump; she slept through her last few days.

It was hard to watch her lose vitality, and harder to give the support she needed. Those last days were among the most difficult; waiting for sleep to change to death.

There are no easy answers. I hope you find peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My uncle potted plants with my mam the day before he died. His wife had died only three weeks early and their daughter in between. They just gave up.

My nana is 91 this weekend. She has no quality of life yet my aunt who cares for her would lose her reason were nana to go. She has made this her life.

In a kind of funny aside in a really weird turn of events my dad happened to be in connolly with a blood clot on his lung, my mam had just had her hip replaced, i had just had my back done, my uncle had a heart attack, his wife had gallstones and an elderly family friend was in there for heart trouble. Anyway the elderly friend passes away as we were all there but no one knew who to determine death. My mother actually got out a mirror to check for breath. Ir was actually complete coincidence we were all there. Sometimes in pathos there is comedy. I wish you very well.

My best friend's dad is dying at the moment. His grandchildren keep him going.

• Advertisement
Advertisement