Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do 18-20s drink in the US while travelling?

Options
  • 22-07-2017 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm 19 but even though it's legal to drink here at 18, I don't want to break the law when travelling to the US in a few months...but at the same time, I want to have a bit of fun :D

So, what's the story? Are foreign citizens exempt from the age limit on drinking or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

jeanjolie wrote: »
    I'm 19 but even though it's legal to drink here at 18, I don't want to break the law when travelling to the US in a few months...but at the same time, I want to have a bit of fun :D

So, what's the story? Are foreign citizens exempt from the age limit on drinking or not?

No. They will ask you for ID pretty much everywhere too. They are very strict. I'm sure some places you will get away with it but most places won't even consider serving you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Eh...no. Foreign citizens are not exempt from the age limit on drinking in America, or any other laws. It sucks I know but generally speaking you have to obey the laws, no matter what they are, in whatever country you happen to be visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

bmwguy wrote: »
    No. They will ask you for ID pretty much everywhere too. They are very strict. I'm sure some places you will get away with it but most places won't even consider serving you

So what else do law abiding young Irish adults do over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

They drink anyway. Or go to Mexico.
    Look hard enough and you will find somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

bmwguy wrote: »
    They drink anyway. Or go to Mexico.
    Look hard enough and you will find somewhere!

What are the penalties if caught?

10 year ban from the US? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭kindalen

They go to dive bars that accept fake id's or go to keg parties in peoples homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Laws and enforcement depend massively by state. In my experience, no one cares in New York, but Massachusetts is super strict - but don't blame me if you get stopped.

Punishments also vary by state. In MA, if you are stopped by the police and you're cooperative, I hear a $350 fine is typical for a first offense. Obviously, fake ID will earn you extra punishment, and running from the police could earn you a tazing and some time in a jail cell.
    On the other hand, it's legal to smoke weed in a lot of states now, so do you really need to drink? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Im closer to 50 than 40 and still get id'd.

Licensed premises face huge fines if caught serving underage, so its just not worth it for them to take a chance. If you are visiting friends/family the local 18-20 year olds would probably know of a few spots

Similarly, some of the rougher Irish bars may not be too strict....but there not necessarily they type of places youd go on vacation

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Drink at home, or in the homes of friends, or at parties.

Advertisement