Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time caravaning!

• 22-07-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying our first Caravan and already I'm confused as hell! So many makes, models, sizes! So I'm hoping if I tell you all what I'm after that ye might be able to guide me in the right direction!

So basically its me and the wife and two kids. 11yr old and 7yr old. But, my 11yr old is in a wheelchair. So I'm looking for something quite long. He goes to bed quite early so I'm thinking bunk beds maybe across the back at one end. So I have good access to lift him into bed and then I can close a sliding door or curtain across so he can go to sleep. They my young lady could hop into the top bunk when we are going to bed and the wife and myself can sleep at the front.

I presume I'm looking at a 6 berth for good size even though I only need a 4 berth. So a really big caravan with bunks across the back and I'm looking at around a 2010 model.... Also a really big awning is a must. But that can be sorted afterwards.

In relation to buying one, where would be the best places to go. Ireland, the North or the UK? I'm based down in Limerick.

Any info on good models to suit my needs or recommendations of where to look would be great. I have gone through Donedeal but its a mind field to me, lots of private sales etc but think id prefer a dealer preferably with a warranty.

Regards,

Martin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

mtierney5 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at buying our first Caravan and already I'm confused as hell! So many makes, models, sizes! So I'm hoping if I tell you all what I'm after that ye might be able to guide me in the right direction!

So basically its me and the wife and two kids. 11yr old and 7yr old. But, my 11yr old is in a wheelchair. So I'm looking for something quite long. He goes to bed quite early so I'm thinking bunk beds maybe across the back at one end. So I have good access to lift him into bed and then I can close a sliding door or curtain across so he can go to sleep. They my young lady could hop into the top bunk when we are going to bed and the wife and myself can sleep at the front.

I presume I'm looking at a 6 berth for good size even though I only need a 4 berth. So a really big caravan with bunks across the back and I'm looking at around a 2010 model.... Also a really big awning is a must. But that can be sorted afterwards.

In relation to buying one, where would be the best places to go. Ireland, the North or the UK? I'm based down in Limerick.

Any info on good models to suit my needs or recommendations of where to look would be great. I have gone through Donedeal but its a mind field to me, lots of private sales etc but think id prefer a dealer preferably with a warranty.

Regards,

Martin.

Try this site
    http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/caravan_layouts.html?berth=4&layout=FB

This looks like your idea
    http://www.caravanfinder.co.uk/touring-caravans-for-sale/layouts-caravans/elddis-avante-464-used-caravan-2010-hertfordshire-tk01f5c22

If I were you I would go up North just to look. Within 30mins of Newry there are 3 v good dealers with a good large selection.

Downshire Caravans
    Newry Caravans
    Tricam Caravans

Its a bit of a journey but you will see pretty much all available layouts which will make your search easier. You could then visit Newbridge and Charles Camping on your way home.
    There is no real alternative to see what suits you. You will know then what you need. Also check if your car can tow it - pick a van with a laden weight (MTPLM) no more than 85% of your car's kerb weight unless you are very experienced at towing. And ensure the combined car and caravan weight are not over 3500kg unless you have a trailer licence.

You will pay much more up North than down south but that generally gets you a warranty but I'm not sure what that would be worth on a 7 yr old van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 danjoe102

Thinking of Buying my First Caravan. Married with 3 kids. I have a Toyota Avensis 1.6 petrol. Would I need to change this first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

I think go cheap & cheerful first to make sure you like the whole idea. Give you time to get used to layouts etc etc. Then you can go for the one you really want (because by then you'll know). I bought our 2nd one in UK, way more choice, & cheaper the time I looked. Make a mini-break out of it.

If you buy cheap & cheerful you'll probably lose barely anything on it, they depreciate pretty much like cars, but if they haven't damp there's no huge difference in the use/'value'/utility you get out of it as opposed to a shiny newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

We just bought our first caravan. Realky happy with it as it's dry and although we have a few minor bits to do I.e change bulbs fix a few doors it's in better shape than I thought we could get with the few bob we have...im totally baffled on the whole set up side of it. Is there a caravanning for dummies type of book available??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bulbymc

Thanks Betsy Og, we are having some craic figuring it all out. Cant wait to get going. We have a few bits to do, a good deep clean and then its going into dry storage until March. I would love to hear of any family campsites ye recommend if you know of any. We done a lot of tent camping over last few years so this upgrade is really welcomed.

Parsons Green, South Tipp - if you have smallies, has like a mini petting zoo & indoor play area. It's not exactly 'polished' but it can be lovely.

Camac Valley - just outside Dublin is handy for stuff in the capital, nice park beside it as well (Corkagh).

Westport House is great, maybe a bit pricey for the adventure park thingy but even to just stay in the campsite is nice.

Lough Key in Roscommon, zipwire etc.

Trabolgan isn't much of a camping experience but if you wanted to do the karting and other bits and bobs its ok for a night.

Sir Rogers in Banna - have never stayed, varying reports, but Banna Beach is lovely, you're right beside it, there is a leisure centre but a bit pricey.

Curraghchase, Co. Limerick - Coillte Forest Park, lovely grounds for outdoor walks etc

Mountshannon - if you're into watersports, its on Lough Derg.

A few good ones in South Wicklow/Wexford - Morris Castle, Red Cross etc. - I havent been but apparently good.

Also check out ICCC.ie great club, brilliant for kids

Meant to mention as well, Woodlands in Tralee is good, very near Aquadome (reasonable value) and walking distance from the town centre.

Advertisement