Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to the U.S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

We're staying in The Westin Philadelphia. And yeah we do plan on trying to visit NYC one of the days but that may not happen.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Your fine to use a debit card (usually!), just make sure you have enough money in the account, e.g. 1.5k total (500 for the room charge, which you'll get back, and 1k spending)

Holding charges varey per hotel, could be less, could be more.

I would be lying if i said i would have that much money. I'm looking at around 1,000 total. I didn't expect a hotel fee tbh. Kind of a bummer hearing that haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Duff wrote:
    Quick question on the money front - Has anyone used the PostFX Mastercard currency card from An Post in the US? Heading to LA/San Diego start of September and thinking of putting the majority of my spending money on one as long as it's accepted everywhere like a credit card. It also says purchases from merchants with the card has no fee which is nice.

As I said we used them earlier this year. They are brilliant worked everywhere, you could withdraw cash for a small fee, and check your balance from a bank machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Well deff think of something, because you will be asked for a credit / debit card on check in, or cash to cover a guarantee during your stay.

Generally the cheaper the hotel, the less they care - but Westin is a fairly big chain.

So if i were to get a lend of that extra 500 is there a guarantee that it won't be taken out of the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Duff wrote: »
    Quick question on the money front - Has anyone used the PostFX Mastercard currency card from An Post in the US? Heading to LA/San Diego start of September and thinking of putting the majority of my spending money on one as long as it's accepted everywhere like a credit card. It also says purchases from merchants with the card has no fee which is nice.

I also would highly recommend the An Post FX Dollar Card. We did a big trip to family a couple of years ago and after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that it would be the cheapest way to spend money in the USA apart from cash. Bank was going to charge me a lot more for each use of my debit and credit cards. It was a bit clunky before our trip to get setup online in order to see the reducing balance but worked really well once in the US. Both my husband and I had a card each on the same account. I even managed to use it to book bus tickets online when my BOI Mastercard wasn't accepted. I still have the card for future use.... One DAY !

As long as you don't incur any charges during your stay (eg room service, minibar, food or drinks charged to the room) and don't break anything - then the guarantee is removed / returned. This is why a credit card is easier, as you most likely wouldn't notice the charge.

Contact the hotel directly and ask, the 500 figure is just an estimate.

That really puts a dampener on things. But sure what can ya do, ill send them an email. Thanks for the heads up!

As long as you don't incur any charges during your stay (eg room service, minibar, food or drinks charged to the room) and don't break anything - then the guarantee is removed / returned. This is why a credit card is easier, as you most likely wouldn't notice the charge.

Contact the hotel directly and ask, the 500 figure is just an estimate.

There is a 154$ Charge. That is fine.

Cheap! grand to put on the debit card so.

I'm with AIB and i've already got most of my money turned to Dollars. Is it possible to put dollar bills into an AIB account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    Travel insurance I'm not too sure about, but I can try get a photocopy of my passport. Not sure how though. Credit card? Is that where you can put a certain amount of money onto a card and if it gets lost then I can get the money refunded?.. We have the hotel booked so all of the details we have printed out.

I just meant to run your passport through a photocopier or scanner yourself (in a library, university or internet cafe). Only costs about 10 cents.

The difference between a debit card and credit card is:

Debit card - attached to your own bank account. You can only make transactions to the value of your bank account funds. If you have €500 in your bank account, any debit card transaction in excess of €500 will fail.

Credit card - you are given a limit by Visa or Mastercard. Say €4,000 as an example. You can make cumulative transactions up to that limit. Hotels prefer credit cards because the credit card company will guarantee the payment. If you miss the repayments to the credit card company, you get hit with high interest rates. However, it's very useful to have a credit card as it gives you access to surplus funds and can also be used in an ATM.

PS when are you travelling?

AIB could probably turn around a credit card quickly.

Your credit limit might be small, but it gives you leverage in the USA.

For most daily transactions, debit card and hard cash will be fine

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    PS when are you travelling?

AIB could probably turn around a credit card quickly.

Your credit limit might be small, but it gives you leverage in the USA.

For most daily transactions, debit card and hard cash will be fine

I'm traveling on the 23rd of august.

I'm traveling on the 23rd of august.

Go into your bank on Monday morning and ask them what they can do.

Seems like loads of time. I think it should take a fortnight at a guess

Go into your bank on Monday morning and ask them what they can do.

Seems like loads of time. I think it should take a fortnight at a guess

Well my card wasn't used to book the hotel and now that we know the price it isn't a problem. Is there much of a point apart from the hotel fee?

Well my card wasn't used to book the hotel and now that we know the price it isn't a problem. Is there much of a point apart from the hotel fee?

If the hotel is already paid for and everyone is happy, then you won't need a credit card.

I assume that the hotel are taking a security deposit (to be fully returned if everything is fine).... rather than charging a fee.

Alcohol - very strict rules. When I was 37 years old, I was carded at a White Six game!!!!

Chances of getting served under 21 are slim. They can lose their licence.

If the hotel is already paid for and everyone is happy, then you won't need a credit card.

I assume that the hotel are taking a security deposit (to be fully returned if everything is fine).... rather than charging a fee.

Alcohol - very strict rules. When I was 37 years old, I was carded at a White Six game!!!!

I would like to drink over there, but I can't and I'm fine with it though. It's not a bother :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I would always take 2 cards to the states. When the bank sees purchases on the card in the States they can assume that you have been the victim of credit card fraud and freeze your card temporarily until they confirm with you, which could take time and leave you without a card. I got a call from BOI when I was in New York last time because of my purchases.

Give AIB a call on Monday, let then know that you are travelling so that they have a record on file. Ask them if a credit card application could be processed before you travel and what you would need to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

-1 Less than zero.

If you look under 30 you will be asked for ID.

Even if you're in a party of 30 somethings, they will still ask the youngest looking member of the party for ID.

If you look under 30, bring your passport everywhere. Driving licence or other stuff wont do as it isn't a US document so they won't recognise it. The requirement doesn't necessarily involve you purchasing alcohol or being in a bar, I've seen accounts here of someone sitting in airport smoking lounge which happened to have a slot machine (one-armed bandit) and they were asked for ID.

Be prepared for the obnoxious tipping culture.

Many employees are paid a pitiful 'service sector' wage by their employer. Maybe $3 per hour. They live on the tips. If you are a good employee, you can make a fortune... especially barmen.

Effectively, the customer is directly paying the employee's wages. Doing the job of the stingy proprietor.

Hence Americans obsess over tips. They have all these unwritten rules, but a good meal warrants about 15 to 20%. No tip is considered an insult. Tips covers proper restaurants and places like that.

Also, retail shop assistants survive from commissions. They will follow you around the shop like a leech. No breathing space. Irish people would find it overbearing. Americans expect to be fawned over... that's why they are shocked by European service standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm with AIB and i've already got most of my money turned to Dollars. Is it possible to put dollar bills into an AIB account?

You don't need to put dollars into your account. Just have at least the equivilant amount in euros in your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Also notify your bank of your travel so they don't prevent / block any transactions there, I've got anti fraud text messages / emails from my bank even after setting up this travel notification (I assume it's because I did it over the weekend so wasn't processed until the next working day and was travelling the weekend), was almost stuck not being able to hire a car due to this. With boi you can do it online in their online service desk, not sure for AIB but otherwise call. Also as previously mentioned if paying for hotel on your debit card / credit card, upon checking in there's a hold for the estimated cost put on the card, which is then processed once you check out. Otherwise, I've had no problems using debit card there, I've paid for hotels etc. on them no problem, the big thing is the travel notification to your bank. Other than that try not worry about having everything, once you've your esta, tickets, travel insurance etc you're sorted.

With AIB you can do the travel notification through your online banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Also notify your bank of your travel so they don't prevent / block any transactions there

+1 definitely do that.

I had a BoI credit card for years and years and never had to tell them when I was travelling (last count - 35 countries) but a Visa debit card they gave me a couple of years ago was refused in Chicago when I ran out of cash on my last night - I couldn't buy a Big Mac in McDonalds so I had to use a credit card which was issued by the the same bank!

They've phased that out now, they will send you a text if a transaction is flagged and you have to reply with Y or N to approve - if not, the card is blocked.

My husband did it at the end of May. Have they phased it out since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I had the text thing happen with Ulster Bank - except what ever short code number they were using, I couldn't reply to whilst roaming. Maybe check with your bank the best way to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

bee06 wrote: »
    My husband did it at the end of May. Have they phased it out since?

Should be, maybe not for all accounts yet. It's a silly move, not everyone will have their phone turned on (roaming) so while it's more secure, it's also more hassle.

I've not experienced that. I'm with AIB, am abroad at the moment, and added a travel note online before I left two weeks ago, not a bother. Was abroad in April and May too, with no issues. So don't think this is true.

I will notify the bank monday morning. Is there any way you can buy a hotspot over there? Since I'm with an irish network i can't pay for data over there.

I will notify the bank monday morning. Is there any way you can buy a hotspot over there? Since I'm with an irish network i can't pay for data over there.

You will pay dearly for data if you roam with their networks, like Verizon or AT&T. I was stung for $30 in a single day. Luckily my Irish provider was sending warning texts.

Here is what I do:

1) Leaving Ireland, I disable the mobile data on my phone.

2) Pick the option that only allows data on WiFi

3) On arrival in the USA, hook up with the local provider. This will give you texts and voice.

4) Use hotel or coffee shop free WiFi

• Advertisement

4) Use hotel or coffee shop free WiFi

Yep, you won't be stuck for places with free wifi. Starbucks always has wifi and there is one of them in almost every corner in the US. Even stores have free wifi, off the top of my head Gap and Foot Locker both had free wifi when I was there.

Advertisement