Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to the U.S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Dylan12345 wrote:
    I will notify the bank monday morning. Is there any way you can buy a hotspot over there? Since I'm with an irish network i can't pay for data over there.

3 uk have a 12gb data sim which you can use anywhere. You can order from memory.ie, I might have that website address slightly wrong, will double check, it will cost about 28 euro and is supposed to stay active for 12 months, would also advise you to get a credit card, a back up card is essential in my eyes, went to US last year and had Credit, debit and Revolut card.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Dylan12345

august12 wrote: »
    3 uk have a 12gb data sim which you can use anywhere. You can order from memory.ie, I might have that website address slightly wrong, will double check, it will cost about 28 euro and is supposed to stay active for 12 months, would also advise you to get a credit card, a back up card is essential in my eyes, went to US last year and had Credit, debit and Revolut card.

Unfortunately for me I'm on a locked contract with iDMobile so i can't get another sim.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    You will pay dearly for data if you roam with their networks, like Verizon or AT&T. I was stung for $30 in a single day. Luckily my Irish provider was sending warning texts.

Here is what I do:

1) Leaving Ireland, I disable the mobile data on my phone.

2) Pick the option that only allows data on WiFi

3) On arrival in the USA, hook up with the local provider. This will give you texts and voice.

4) Use hotel or coffee shop free WiFi

As far as I'm aware there is no free so we would be paying 14.54$ a night for wireless wifi. A complete rip off if i do say so myself.

Be prepared for the obnoxious tipping culture.

Many employees are paid a pitiful 'service sector' wage by their employer. Maybe $3 per hour. They live on the tips. If you are a good employee, you can make a fortune... especially barmen.

Effectively, the customer is directly paying the employee's wages. Doing the job of the stingy proprietor.

Hence Americans obsess over tips. They have all these unwritten rules, but a good meal warrants about 15 to 20%. No tip is considered an insult. Tips covers proper restaurants and places like that.

Also, retail shop assistants survive from commissions. They will follow you around the shop like a leech. No breathing space. Irish people would find it overbearing. Americans expect to be fawned over... that's why they are shocked by European service standards.

It honestly depends where I am. I may tip and I may not. If the person serving me is nice then ill tip, but if not then I won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Dylan12345 wrote: »
    It honestly depends where I am. I may tip and I may not. If the person serving me is nice then ill tip, but if not then I won't be.

As the poster above outlined, waiters/waitresses get paid way below the legal minimum wage, and all of that pretty much goes to tax - I used to get paid $2.13/hr when I waitressed in college. Customers essentially are expected to pay the wages of restaurant staff - not saying it's fair, but that's how the system works, and a LOT of restaurant and bar staff are supporting families/elderly parents on their tips. Not saying you should tip if the service is absolutely dreadful, but you really should educate yourself a bit on the culture of the place you're going to in order to understand the way it works, and why. I'd do the same coming to your country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Unfortunately for me I'm on a locked contract with iDMobile so i can't get another sim.

Bring an old phone and use it as a hotspot?

cactusgal wrote: »
    As the poster above outlined, waiters/waitresses get paid way below the legal minimum wage, and all of that pretty much goes to tax - I used to get paid $2.13/hr when I waitressed in college. Customers essentially are expected to pay the wages of restaurant staff - not saying it's fair, but that's how the system works, and a LOT of restaurant and bar staff are supporting families/elderly parents on their tips. Not saying you should tip if the service is absolutely dreadful, but you really should educate yourself a bit on the culture of the place you're going to in order to understand the way it works, and why. I'd do the same coming to your country.

You're right. I guess tipping over here is never expected. I did plan to tip but i never knew it would be expected tbh.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Bring an old phone and use it as a hotspot?

That might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You're right. I guess tipping over here is never expected. I did plan to tip but i never knew it would be expected tbh.

They will follow you out of the restaurant!!

Dovies wrote: »

Are you serious ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Are you serious ?

One guy at my former workplace did that! I'm not advocating that at all, I thought he was nuts. But yeah, it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Going to New York myself for first time in September and we had to get credit card as our hotel said they could not check us in without one, I know all hotels are different and you contacted them already but I still recon try get a CC
    Be prepared for some awkward questions from US immigration some of them do try trip you up.
    I have been in the US twice before , first time the agent was fine a few general questions but the second trip the agent was firing all sorts of questions at us about jobs at home , money , children and spending money we were probably just unlucky but be prepared for it..

Both times our Irish driving licence was fine for ID but we did keep a copy if our passports on us as well just in case..,

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dovies wrote: »
    Are you serious ?

Yep, it happened me and some friends once in New York when the waitress felt the tip was too small. Admittedly the food wasn't great, the service was appalling and she was dumb enough to give us $20 bills for the bulk of our change and as a result we only had a couple of dollars in small change to leave as a tip. But it was still pretty shocking to be followed out of the restaurant by an angry staff member complaining that we hadn't given her enough money for essentially not doing her job very well.

harr wrote: »
    Going to New York myself for first time in September and we had to get credit card as our hotel said they could not check us in without one, I know all hotels are different and you contacted them already but I still recon try get a CC
    Be prepared for some awkward questions from US immigration some of them do try trip you up.
    I have been in the US twice before , first time the agent was fine a few general questions but the second trip the agent was firing all sorts of questions at us about jobs at home , money , children and spending money we were probably just unlucky but be prepared for it..

Both times our Irish driving licence was fine for ID but we did keep a copy if our passports on us as well just in case..,

I know I'll get a great deal of questions asked, but ill just answer them honestly and hope all goes well. I'll get a photocopy of my passport since I only have that and an age card.

Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, it happened me and some friends once in New York when the waitress felt the tip was too small. Admittedly the food wasn't great, the service was appalling and she was dumb enough to give us $20 bills for the bulk of our change and as a result we only had a couple of dollars in small change to leave as a tip. But it was still pretty shocking to be followed out of the restaurant by an angry staff member complaining that we hadn't given her enough money for essentially not doing her job very well.

That's ridiculous. I understand that they don't make a lot of money and for that they rely on tips, but you don't follow a customer because he didn't tip you enough.

cactusgal wrote: »
    One guy at my former workplace did that! I'm not advocating that at all, I thought he was nuts. But yeah, it does happen.

Fair enough, I guess. But you don't follow someone who tipped you out of their pocket because they didn't give you enough money. I hope I don't run into anyone like that over in Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

When I went to Chicago a few years ago, I had the pre-clearance in Dublin.

At O'Hare Airport, I took my luggage off the carousel and got a train straight into the city. No further checks. I was like a domestic arrival.

I had to ask a policeman if I was clear to go. It seemed too easy. Hop off a plane and no further checks.

Mr.S wrote: »
    90% of the time the boarder guys are fine.

All they're looking for is

Approved ESTA
    Somewhere to stay and appropriate funds to cover your trip
    Return flight
    Sufficient ties to Ireland (work / college)
    And a reason for traveling to the US (holiday)

If you've nothing to hide, you'll be fine. If you do preclearence in Dublin, it's a doddle.

Currently I'm on Jobseekers. Would that affect me at all?

At O'Hare Airport, I took my luggage off the carousel and got a train straight into the city. No further checks. I was like a domestic arrival.

I had to ask a policeman if I was clear to go. It seemed too easy. Hop off a plane and no further checks.

How would i go about getting the pre-clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Are you flying from Dublin or Shannon directly to the US? If so, you most likely have to do pre-clearance there. Pre-clearance is just another way of saying going through customs in Ireland before leaving instead of when you arrive. It's not something you choose.

• Advertisement

Get a flight to the US from Dublin or Shannon with an airline that uses the preclearance facilities.

bee06 wrote: »
    Are you flying from Dublin or Shannon directly to the US? If so, you most likely have to do pre-clearance there. Pre-clearance is just another way of saying going through customs in Ireland before leaving instead of when you arrive. It's not something you choose.

On the confirmation email it says "Dublin (DUB) → Philadelphia (PHL)" So i think it's dublin.

Yes and no.

They might not even ask you anything of the sort.

If they do ask what you work as / do you have a job in Ireland, it will raise a few flags that your unemployed, which will lead to more questions.

Your ESTA would say you are unemployed also, so don't lie!

Most likely be fine.

I hope so. It would be a shame if i wasn't allowed into the country.

90% of the time the boarder guys are fine.

All they're looking for is

Approved ESTA
    Somewhere to stay and appropriate funds to cover your trip
    Return flight
    Sufficient ties to Ireland (work / college)
    And a reason for traveling to the US (holiday)

If you've nothing to hide, you'll be fine. If you do preclearence in Dublin, it's a doddle.

Is there a website that i can go and check to see if my ESTA is approved? I know it was definitely approved I'm just looking to double check over everything since the trip is less than two weeks away.

You can check the status on the same website.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You can check the status on the same website.

It says "Authorization Approved"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

That's the whole idea of pre-clearance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

That's the whole idea of pre-clearance :)

Yep.... but it just seemed too easy.

Grab my bags and straight into the city like a local :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yep.... but it just seemed too easy.

Grab my bags and straight into the city like a local :)

I love that. Shannon to Newark NY, and you can be off the plane and on the shuttle bus into the City in about twenty minutes (as long as you dont have to pick up luggage).

Save

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I love that. Shannon to Newark NY, and you can be off the plane and on the shuttle bus into the City in about twenty minutes (as long as you dont have to pick up luggage).
    Save
    Can you do a check in with American Airlines anytime up until the 48 hours of your departure? It said on the email "Seat assignments, special meals, frequent flyer point awards and special assistance requests should be confirmed directly with the airline. How do I confirm those with American Airlines?

Advertisement