Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lie detector test

• 22-07-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for some info on this. Was looking to get this done on someone family related to me and if agreed by them I want to pursue a Lie detector test on them.

Does anyone know what's the best route or company to go to if it did come to having to get this done.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've never heard of the results of a lie detector test being used in an Irish court. What do you hope to achieve by getting that person to submit to such a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Unscientific unreliable hokum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hi all

Just looking for some info on this. Was looking to get this done on someone family related to me and if agreed by them I want to pursue a Lie detector test on them.

Does anyone know what's the best route or company to go to if it did come to having to get this done.

Many thanks

You can buy an electronics kit and make one yourself.

Alternatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

coylemj wrote: »
    I've never heard of the results of a lie detector test being used in an Irish court.
    Often accepted in kangaroo courts, although they often prefer different tests.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I came across a website purporting to offer such tests for use in court but whose main point about the admissibility of such evidence was that there's no reason for it not to be admitted.

Well, that's not quite true. One reason for it not to be admitted is that it has zero probative value. Another is that it's hearsay. Another is that you can't cross-examine the polygraph.

The only time this would be admissible would be if both parties agreed to admit it (which would never happen for obvious reasons) but, as above, it still has zero probative value, so it would be a complete waste of time (and quite considerable money.)

It would be like having a tarot card reader giving evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are completely pointless - they are detectors of specific stress responses anyone who wants to prevent occurring can. At best they scare some idiots in to confessing, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I came across a website purporting to offer such tests for use in court but whose main point about the admissibility of such evidence was that there's no reason for it not to be admitted.

Well, that's not quite true. One reason for it not to be admitted is that it has zero probative value. Another is that it's hearsay. Another is that you can't cross-examine the polygraph.

The only time this would be admissible would be if both parties agreed to admit it (which would never happen for obvious reasons) but, as above, it still has zero probative value, so it would be a complete waste of time (and quite considerable money.)

It would be like having a tarot card reader giving evidence.

Genuine question, but would a tarot card reader's evidence be admissible evidence even if both parties agreed to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

pillphil wrote: »
    Genuine question, but would a tarot card reader's evidence be admissible evidence even if both parties agreed to it?

If a defendent agreed to have someone say "they're definitely guilty, the cards show it" or the prosecution agreed to "they're definitely innocent, the cards show it", I'd be quite happy with the idiocy being rewarded. I'm fairly certain it'd never be accepted though.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    If a defendent agreed to have someone say "they're definitely guilty, the cards show it" or the prosecution agreed to "they're definitely innocent, the cards show it", I'd be quite happy with the idiocy being rewarded. I'm fairly certain it'd never be accepted though.

I'm thinking more in a scenario where the testimony of the tarot card reader (or lie detector test for that matter) was unknown, and the reading or test hadn't happened yet?

Or would the reading or test need to have already have happened before it would be considered evidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't tarot card readers deal with the future, whereas most court cases are about the past?

I think most cold reading is largely dependent on past events and cooperation from the readee (is there a real word for this?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

pillphil wrote: »
    I think most cold reading is largely dependent on past events and cooperation from the readee (is there a real word for this?).

real word is 'mark'

However you only speak of the charlatans.

I presumed we were talking about real tarot card readers. Obviously
    they are employing the power of voodoo. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Specific circumstances with very specific tests with very specific goals with specific people. Did I mention specific at all? :pac:

The US have also been more willing to accept 'bleedin' edge' it's lead to an over reliance on DNA and some incidence of forays into junk science.

Advertisement