Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on restoring backup after HDD/SSD swap.

• 22-07-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

I have a mid-2012 13" pro that I'm going to remove the optical drive from, put the current HDD in its place and put a 250GB SSD where the HDD is now. I back up using a time capsule.

Doing this isn't a problem, what is a problem is restoring everything afterward. I'll be going from everything on a 500gb HDD to splitting things up between the HDD and SSD

My plan is to have the OS/Apps on the SSD and most of my files on the HDD

What is the best, hassle free method to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

If the SSD is large enough, using a data cable you could copy the entire drive over and then just copy the files back to the HDD. Worked fine when I did it some years back. I don't think it's possible to do it in one go with TC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sounds like a perfect time to do a clean install ? Install the OS and all your programs afresh to the SSD and leave the HDD as it is.

Once done copy all your documents to an external drive from the HDD, format the HDD and then move back what you need from the external. This is what I did when in your situation a while back.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

If the SSD is large enough, using a data cable you could copy the entire drive over and then just copy the files back to the HDD. Worked fine when I did it some years back. I don't think it's possible to do it in one go with TC.

as stated in the op, the SSD is not large enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ZENER wrote: »
    Sounds like a perfect time to do a clean install ? Install the OS and all your programs afresh to the SSD and leave the HDD as it is.

Once done copy all your documents to an external drive from the HDD, format the HDD and then move back what you need from the external. This is what I did when in your situation a while back.

Ken

maybe, but that sounds like an awful lot of work. but it could be the only way.

as stated in the op, the SSD is not large enough.

Sorry, missed that!

• Advertisement

If it were me I'd go with clean install as suggested. It will take a bit of time but worth it in the long run.

Advertisement