Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France ITT 22/7/17

Options
  • 22-07-2017 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭

Carlton Kirby was a bit upset over Froome being booed, when it was for a number of reasons in my opinion and nothing to get worked up about.
    People want a new winner, and there is a French contender these days.
    Sky comes with suspicion whether it is justified or not, one doesn't know.
    Sky are a bit robotic.

I would prefer if Kirby was more upset over unwritten rules which only benefits one rider in the race, rather than boos which don't affect race results.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Well, if its doping they're hypocrites. They were cheering for Bardet whose team has a number of positives over them in recent years.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with that. It's mainly down to dominance. I have been watching the Tour since the early 90s and each decade since then has had this dominance, Indurain, Lance and now Froome. 16 Tours between three riders.

The Tour might be the flagship of the sport but it's not really a great race as Oscar Freire said in the past. There is a lot more unpredictability with the Vuelta and Giro.

How many great Tours did we have in recent times? The last week of '11 was good. We can pick out individual stages but for me in my time watching the Tour, '03 was probably the only great one I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I thought they were saying boourns

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Must say that was a very strange Tour. For a race that was so close on the over all I found it very dull. Most of the excitement seemed to come off the bike if anything. AG2R were great, probably my highlight. Also, hats off to Dan, really gave it a go after his crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭griffin100

I think the old saying that there are no surprises in the tour and that the toughest man always wins is no longer fully true. It's the team leader with the strongest team that wins the tour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

griffin100 wrote: »
    I think the old saying that there are no surprises in the tour and that the toughest man always wins is no longer fully true. It's the team leader with the strongest team that wins the tour now.

Yes....Team SKY are about 200% stronger than most teams...even team leaders

So even if Bardet & Uran and Dan Martin can match froome on the climbs, which they did, they cant get away with his team and they cant beat him in the TT

The thing is though the course was a disaster this year ...not enought rouler stages with hardish clibs to put SKY under pressure and not enough MTFs

Plus some of the riders that could have challenged Froome like Porte & valverde were gone too soon and some others like Quintana & Contador were not at the top of their game

I guess you need alot of luck to win a Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bardet will never win the Tour, certaintly not with TTing like that. Of course, Prudhomme could make it 4 or 5 summit finishes next year and do away with TT's apart from a short prologue, but I can't see them descending to that level to get a French victory.

Barguil has a better chance but he's in the same team as Dumoulin. Brailsford did say that one day he would like to win the Tour with a French rider... maybe he has an eye on Barguil!

Froome is off to the Vuelta where the big rival will be a fresh Nibali. Orica are sending both Yates brothers and Chaves. I guess Contador will go too. Again, Froome's strong team will prove vital and I can see him winning his first Vuelta.

Oh and Kirby gave me a good laugh again today. He said that Team Sky 'invented warming down after a race'. Complete bollox again from Kirby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ho hum, solid racing and respect to all the riders.
    Some good stages but overall not a classic your.
    Froome up there just behind Merckx, Hinault and Anquetil just seems so wrong on every level but good luck to him.
    Roll on the Vuelta....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well, if its doping they're hypocrites. They were cheering for Bardet whose team has a number of positives over them in recent years.

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with that. It's mainly down to dominance. I have been watching the Tour since the early 90s and each decade since then has had this dominance, Indurain, Lance and now Froome. 16 Tours between three riders.

The Tour might be the flagship of the sport but it's not really a great race as Oscar Freire said in the past. There is a lot more unpredictability with the Vuelta and Giro.

How many great Tours did we have in recent times? The last week of '11 was good. We can pick out individual stages but for me in my time watching the Tour, '03 was probably the only great one I liked.

For me, my favourite is the Giro, what a finish that had this year, compared to what we will see tomorrow, even if it had been close.
    The off bike stuff on the Tour is better than the racing, looking at the scenery and buildings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know it's a Saturday but seems like there was no interest in today's stage. Didn't bother with it myself other than to check the final standings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I know it's a Saturday but seems like there was no interest in today's stage. Didn't bother with it myself other than to check the final standings

I think its been like that the last couple of weeks, but eventually, someone got round to doing a thread.

I guess many are still out and about on Saturday afternoon and get back for the last hour or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Polish top two in the TT wonder if the polish europort commentators got excited about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DFW8yAnXcAAzFBO?format=jpg

I bet a burger and beer has never tasted so good...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Haha that's a great pic of Kwiatkowski. The burger and beer are well earned.
    I'm amazed at how strong he has been in this tour, especially today in the ITT after being on domestique duties for so long.

He's a world champion who can climb, time-trial, sprint, and win one-day classics. Is he a GT contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Polish top two in the TT wonder if the polish europort commentators got excited about that !
    I wish you heard that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

He's a world champion who can climb, time-trial, sprint, and win one-day classics. Is he a GT contender?

He died a poor death on a couple of the climbs after riding on the front so I think his ability to stay at the head of the race for a full stage in the mountains is not yet answered.

Advertisement