Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a Garden Room

Options
  • 22-07-2017 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im gonna be fully renovating my house but beforehand im building a garden room at the bottom of the garden which will be turned into a gym hopefully.

My question is, What sort of ducting/piping will be required to be ran from the fuse board in the main house to the shed? Where can I purchase this and what depth should I be laying it into the ground?

I'll install a sub board in the garden room and I will be running some data cables and possibly satellite cables too if I decide to put the satellite dish at the bottom of the garden so would I need different ducts for mains power and data or coax?

To recap:

What ducting and where to get it?
    What depth?
    Seperate ducting for power and data/tv cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You should really ask the Registered Electrical Contractor that will be doing the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

You should really ask the Registered Electrical Contractor that will be doing the work.

Might aswell close this forum then, the man is looking for a heads up, I'm sure he will ask his spark in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

There isn't enough information in the original question.

What sort of piping/ducting? Depends on the cables used.

Where to get it? Depends on where in the country the OP lives.

Depth? Depends on the cable used, the terrain, is it a lawn, driveway etc

Separate ducting. Yes, power cables should always be kept separate from data cables (for regulation purposes the data cables would need sufficient insulation, but the data cables may be susceptible to interferance from the mains so it's better to keep them apart)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Now we have a discussion ;-) OP, over to you. I'll be doing something similar in the next 6 months, good to know what I need to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

xabi wrote: »

Might aswell close this forum then, the man is looking for a heads up, I'm sure he will ask his spark in due course.
    Well at the end of the day if he carries out Restricted Electrical Work without being a Registered Electrical Contractor then he will be committing a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify I am a qualified electrician but spent most of my career as a lift engineer so very limited exposure to house wiring. I've been behind a desk the last 4 years too so I'm way out of practice.

I will be getting a registered electrical contractor to do the work but I need to build the garden room first before I get the main house renovated. I want to make sure I've installed the correct ducting/pipes as it will be imbedded in concrete.

I'm in Dublin Ireland.

The run from garden to house will go through the garden soil then into the raised floor in the house but that floor will be getting filled in and concreted over so got to make sure the piping doesn't collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

If your just talking about a few sockets and lights you would probably get away with a 6sq swa but I would run 10sq to future proof. Then put in if possible a 4 inch duct that will give you loads for any other phone or sat cables and again plenty extra space for anything in the future just make sure you pull a draw wire/rope threw every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

EHP wrote: »
    If your just talking about a few sockets and lights you would probably get away with a 6sq swa but I would run 10sq to future proof. Then put in if possible a 4 inch duct that will give you loads for any other phone or sat cables and again plenty extra space for anything in the future just make sure you pull a draw wire/rope threw every time.
    You shouldn't really be mixing Band I (ELV) and Band II (LV) cables in the one duct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You shouldn't really be mixing Band I (ELV) and Band II (LV) cables in the one duct.

What is your concern?
    Safety, interference, breach of regulations or other?

I ask because each of these can be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Risteard81 wrote:

I meant to run the swa on its own not in the duct. Leave the duct for all TV and phone cabled etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement