Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many concerts should be allowed in Croke Park every year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gatling wrote: »
    Always reminds me of people who buy a house close to a airport/airbase then complain about the noise of aircraft flying over head
    The houses were there first.

Any resident anywhere is entitled to not have people urinating in their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Nobody buys a house near an airbase and then complains about aircraft.

Kew Park in Leixlip or Carton Court in Maynooth are not that old, not old like the houses around Croke Park

Residents there knew about Weston aerodrome yet still lodge High court complaints about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Victor wrote: »

Any resident anywhere is entitled to not have people urinating in their garden.

In fairness, it's not mainly the concert goers that do that.
    On our street I caught one of them doing it up against where a neighbour's door meets the surround. I don't know if she'd ever get that smell out.

Saturdays and Sundays, if you have to go anywhere using the car, if you're not back by 11.30 am or so, forget being able to park the car anywhere close.

At least the people near the stadium get a chance at free tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I see that >20 gigs per year is leading the poll. Ignoring the residents v Croke Park issue for a minute (I already think most are happy with the compromise of three), I'm curious as to when people think these concerts would be played.

This is Ireland where we have a two or three month window for outdoor gigs given our climate.

Also the stadium's primary function is as a sports venue. After today's hurling match in Cork every senior inter-county game in both hurling and football is fixed for Croke Park. That's 12 matches excluding replays albeit some will be double headers.

And are there 20 acts touring each summer capable of filling the stadium?

Three seems to be a reasonable number. Sure, there have only been two this year which may partly be due to not finding the time or act to have a third event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I worked as a contractor for the GAA
    and a lot of employment was primarily around the time of concerts which at the time were limited to four a year.
    I actually got to know some of the residents in the area who admitted that they loved the razzmatazz of a big concert as well as the prepping , soundchecks etc over the few days before the concert.

I've remained friends with some of them and thier opinions have never really changed particularly if theyre originally from the area.

I don't think you could by any stretch of the imagination say that there's serious anti social behaviours, certainly is road closures though as far I remember if you're a resident you get a pass .

Funny you should say that.

In my experience its usually the blow ins that cause all the BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Nobody buys a house near an airbase and then complains about aircraft.

Kew Park in Leixlip or Carton Court in Maynooth are not that old, not old like the houses around Croke Park

Residents there knew about Weston aerodrome yet still lodge High court complaints about it

I'm from that area and I think a significant number of the complaints came from the Weston housing estate with residents saying
    there was huge noise pollution and thier kids were being terrified.

Became farcical when a local in the area asked if the noise from the six lane N4 was ok for them and thier little c herubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭LeBash

I live close enough, and it is a pain in the jam roll, but it generates huge money in the area. It is something in the region of 40 million per event I heard on the radio.

It would be great if the GAA or the government invested in large parking facilities outside the M50 and offered a shuttle bus to and from the events, including the Championship. It would be a major money spinner and reduce the traffic/Muppet parking in what is basically the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

25 matches.

I call bull****, no way its opened 25 times per year for games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

s8n wrote: »
    I call bull****, no way its opened 25 times per year for games

Off the top of my head

Camogie and Ladies football finals
    2 all ireland finals
    4 all ireland semi finals
    2 all ireland football quarter final days
    4th round football qualfiers (2 played in the same day)
    Leinster football final
    Leinster hurling final
    Leinster football semi final with Dublin
    NFL Division 1 and 2 Finals
    4 of Dublins league matches
    All ireland club finals on St Patricks day

That's 20 occasions each year I've listed that are guaranteed to be there and would have attendances of over 20,000 and there can be replays as well and some years all ireland hurling quarter finals are played in Croke Park aswell and there can be sometimes be early round leinster championship matches played there.International rules games are played there aswell .So 25 per year probably isn't that far off.

I've left out the smaller occasions like the all ireland junior and intermediate club finals, division 3 and 4 finals and all ireland colleges finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Nobody buys a house near an trainline and then complains about trains.

yes they do. plenty of examples from the uk of people buying houses near train lines and then whining. britain's boys in network rail then have to pick up the tab to sort it out. as if they haven't enough to do.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

How expensive would a purpose built venue that could hold up to 80,000 be?

Why not build one outside the city ? Would it really affect attendance? I was in stade de France and we had to get a train out to it. The whole surrounding area was business district. I would imagine they could have concerts every night and no one would be affected.

The residents rights do need to be protected. And if they are the sole reason we are losing out on millions and millions every year then it's time something changed.

I don't like Garth Brooks or how he handled that , but it was still ridiculous that he couldn't have 5 gigs if they were all gonna sell out.

Likewise with U2, they would have easily sold 3 or more gigs. Plenty of more big gigs could go on too.

Of course the GAA would be sickened but something has to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭wonderwall900

zig wrote: »
    How expensive would a purpose built venue that could hold up to 80,000 be?

Why not build one outside the city ?

We can't even get transport and congestion right in the city. What makes you think we can get an infrastructure right outside it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭argentum

Its currently 3 without having to apply for extra licences as per its planning permission. To be honest apart from 5 acts that tour every couple of years there's no one else left to fill it.How about naming anyone outside..U2..Bruce...Ed ..Gareth Brooks... Coldplay that could fill it and you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Of course the GAA would be sickened but something has to change.

The GAA have Semple Stadium

Bring back Féile and the Trip to Tipp :D

argentum wrote: »
    Its currently 3 without having to apply for extra licences as per its planning permission. To be honest apart from 5 acts that tour every couple of years there's no one else left to fill it.How about naming anyone outside..U2..Bruce...Ed ..Gareth Brooks... Coldplay that could fill it and you have your answer.

I posted here earlier about contracting for Jim Aiken in Croke for concerts.
    You be surprised who's sold out over the years.

• Advertisement

argentum wrote: »
    How about naming anyone outside..U2..Bruce...Ed ..Gareth Brooks... Coldplay that could fill it and you have your answer.

Roger Waters.

Madonna.

One Direction, when they reform.

Bon Jovi.

Justin Bieber could sell out 7 nights in a row without blinking.

Adele.

Beyonce could sell out multiple nights.

Metallica if they have the right support acts could sell it out.

Take That.

Rihanna and Drake combined with good support acts could fill it.

I myself voted for 10 concerts on the poll. If the reports of each Croke Park gig bringing 40 million euros into the country are true then I think a near half a billion euro injection into the country isn't one we should be turning down because local residents need to wait longer in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Gatling wrote: »
    Not enough for an amazing venue it's under utilised for the most part ,

It's far from amazing for concerts. The current number of concerts is more than enough. The sounds in the stands is quite poor.

I'd be interested in hearing who has, if you can divulge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Roger Waters.

Madonna.

Bon Jovi.

Justin Bieber could sell out 7 nights in a row without blinking.

Adele.

Beyonce could sell out multiple nights.

Metallica if they have the right support acts could sell it out.

Take That.

I myself voted for 10 concerts on the poll. If the reports of each Croke Park gig bringing 40 million euros into the country are true then I think a near half a billion euro injection into the country isn't one we should be turning down because local residents need to wait longer in traffic.

Justin Bieber just played the rds and to the best of my knowledge he didn't even sell that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭appledrop

Croke Park is a GAA ground + those matches should take priority. I know recently one of the managers complained about the state of the pitch due to recent Coldplay concert (Think it was Leinster final. I'm not a big so fan so don't give out if I'm wrong!) That's not on. The GAA are loaded they don't need the money. Also residents being disturbed for GAA game very different then a concerts. The matches are always on weekend + during the day so say by 7 at night everyone gone. However concerts only start in evening so if you have young kids + are trying to put them to bed with music blaring you wouldn't have a hope.

I'd be interested in hearing who has, if you can divulge.

Oddest one was Neil Diamond , I was there for Prince when he changed his mind , West Life.Take That as well.The Police , Chillis.
    No promoter would take a chance with a venue the size of Croke park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 buyer2017

Can't believe people who bought there knowing it's being used as a music venue giving out :/

Justin Bieber just played the rds and to the best of my knowledge he didn't even sell that out.

You're going to need to add a link to a source for that to have any credence I'm afraid.

I'd find it very hard to believe the biggest Pop act in the world right now can't sell out the RDS.

appledrop wrote: »
    Croke Park is a GAA ground + those matches should take priority. I know recently one of the managers complained about the state of the pitch due to recent Coldplay concert (Think it was Leinster final. I'm not a big so fan so don't give out if I'm wrong!) That's not on. The GAA are loaded they don't need the money. Also residents being disturbed for GAA game very different then a concerts. The matches are always on weekend + during the day so say by 7 at night everyone gone. However concerts only start in evening so if you have young kids + are trying to put them to bed with music blaring you wouldn't have a hope.

should have thought of that before they moved in or had children.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

You're going to need to add a link to a source for that to have any credence I'm afraid.

I'd find it very hard to believe the biggest Pop act in the world right now can't sell out the RDS.

I recall tickets being on sale on the day of the gig, it was last month. A quick look at ads still up on donedeal show tickets being advertised for face value,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭argentum

Roger Waters.
    Failed to sell out Aviva for last tour
    Madonna.
    Failed to sell out Aviva on last tour
    Possibly depending on the year it happens but Harry Styles not sold out yet in 3Arena
    Bon Jovi.
    Failed to sell out Slane last tour

Justin Bieber could sell out 7 nights in a row without blinking. Failed to sell out RDS a few weeks ago

Adele. Will not be touring again

Beyonce could sell out multiple nights. Will not tour again for a few yrs but one night max sell out I'd imagine

Metallica if they have the right support acts could sell it out
    Not a hope very very max would sell out Aviva.

Take That. 2 concerts last month in 3Arena not 100% sold out and touts were selling for €20 outside and couldn't find buyers

Would just about sell out Aviva...her last tour she sold 38K tickets for Aviva

Actually Oasis reforming would sell it out

Answers above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

10 nights of u2 and garth brooks? If I was a local I'd give my house away for free rather than be subjected to that.

And nobody would blame you. It was a thing when I was a young kid that when big gaa games were on during the summer many residents would let people camp in their gardens for a few extra bob. I'm not sure exactly when or why their mindset changed,but it was a common enough to see tents in gardens up until the early 90s at least.
    It would be considered a lot more desirable now than it was back then so maybe it's that,but I personally wouldn't like to live in the immediate area around the stadium despite growing up within five minutes walk of it.
    That being said there was a nice party atmosphere around yesterday all around Drumcondra/Summerhill/Dorset St and along the canal. U2 attract a certain kind of crowd,you wouldn't get many of them acting the prick and considering the money being spent in the city they should have been given more than one night,maybe three nights even. Five consecutive nights of Garth Brooks would be a different story altogether though,the crowd he'd attract would leave mountains of Supermacs wrappers floating in sea of piss as far as the eye could see in their wake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

Mr.H wrote: »
    You'd expect more compromise and less bending over for them.

Compromise is not what is happening. They have no choice but to allow up to three gigs so what compromise is there?

If I move until house on las Vegas I know to expect a party atmosphere. U can't say it's only allowed 3 times a year.

Croke is a stadium that hosts big events and should not be dictated by some residents who want to make a few quid in protest

Well, a compromise had been decided, whether or not you agree with it or not matters not a jot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As someone who lives within earshot of CP I can say that most residents just get on with life and we're used to match days and concerts. Where most folk draw the line is trying to stage them midweek or Sunday nights. During the weekends there does by a great atmosphere around but try getting up for work at 5am on a Monday morning when the garda helicopter is hovering 100ft above your house until after midnight.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Likewise with U2, they would have easily sold 3 or more gigs. Plenty of more big gigs could go on too.

Coldplay could've sold out 3 nights there too. So it'd be a windfall of 240 million euros for the country instead of 80 million, going on the "40 million per gig" that's been mentioned they bring into the country.

This is money the country badly needs. Why are we letting some local residents stop it from happening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

It's not Dublin's main concert stadium, it's a GAA ground.

I live in Drumcondra and would be happy with zero concerts.

The GAA hardly are short of a few bob.

I didn't realize Dublin had a main concert stadium. What is Dublin's main concert stadium because the Aviva isn't used as much as Croke Park? I understand that it's a GAA pitch but the fact is that it will be used for concerts. This country is a mess. They should have built the Bertie bowl and our biggest indoor arena is too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Synergism

Coldplay could've sold out 3 nights there too. So it'd be a windfall of 240 million euros for the country instead of 80 million, going on the "40 million per gig" that's been mentioned they bring into the country.

This is money the country badly needs. Why are we letting some local residents stop it from happening?

I know you didn't mention it first but I can't find a source for the €40 million thing. The closest thing is the Dublin Chamber of Commerce saying that the U2 gig was worth €12 million to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

3 concerts is fine as you have matches on top of that.

The people in the vicinity of the stadium are citizens of Dublin and have the right not to be subject to the whims of the GAAs commercial ventures.

If they wanted to stage concerts whenever they want, they shouldn't have redeveloped the stadium there, rather took the chance to sell the site and build a new stadium on a greenfield site in the suburbs.

Retaining such a central site will limit the amount of disruption you can cause. Them's the breaks

3 concerts is fine as you have matches on top of that.

The people in the vicinity of the stadium are citizens of Dublin and have the right not to be subject to the whims of the GAAs commercial ventures.

If they wanted to stage concerts whenever they want, they shouldn't have redeveloped the stadium there, rather took the chance to sell the site and build a new stadium on a greenfield site in the suburbs.

Retaining such a central site will limit the amount of disruption you can cause. Them's the breaks

thems not the breaks at all. the stadium was there before (probably most of the residents at this stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

thems not the breaks at all. the stadium was there before (probably most of the residents at this stage)

So what?

Don't bother multi-quoting me into a coma either as I'll answer about twice and then move on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I live pretty close to Croker (~10 min walk) and I can't say I get particularly put out by the gigs, no more so than any big GAA game. It's an inconvenience, but nothing major. In theory I wouldn't mind more gigs, but I would oppose weekday gigs. Mainly for the fact that regular rush hour traffic + thousands of people arriving for a gig would be absolute bedlam. The added noise on a weekday night on a regular would be a pain in the hole too.

So if it's limited to weekend gigs during the summer months, squashed in between the regular GAA calender, I'm not sure how many extra gigs would be possible?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Unlimited gigs on a Saturday, limited amount of gigs on Friday/Sunday and none during the weekdays.

So what?

means the venue should be used as much as possible seeing as it was there first.

• Advertisement

means the venue should be used as much as possible seeing as it was there first.

It really hasn't, even a cursory look will tell you this is not the case. Add in the fact that the planning permission granted for the redevelopment stated 3 per year and special permission needed after that.

It's clear that the stadium is used as much as possible with 25 odd games a year and up to 3 concerts. Remember also that most of this is crammed into a few short months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So a thread wanting the number of gigs to be capped?

People will moan about anything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stilllooking

The national stadium should be available for use at all times, with no limit on the amount of events shown there. The entire country should not be held to the whims of a few residents, they can always move if it puts them out that much.

The national stadium should be available for use at all times, with no limit on the amount of events shown there. The entire country should not be held to the whims of a few residents, they can always move if it puts them out that much.

It's not though, the planning permission is quite specific. Are you suggesting that large organisations can just do what they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 stilllooking

I know it's not, that's why I said it should be and not it is. I am suggesting that venue owners and job/revenue creators should be allowed to maximize their potential and not be arbitrarily curbed by asinine complaints by people who dislike living in what could be a vibrant, lively area.

The crux of it right here.

• Advertisement

The entire country should not be held to the whims of a few residents

We're talking about feckin' concerts here. Enjoyable but not life or death. Held to random? Dramatics!

I know it's not, that's why I said it should be and not it is. I am suggesting that venue owners and job/revenue creators should be allowed to maximize their potential and not be arbitrarily curbed by asinine complaints by people who dislike living in what could be a vibrant, lively area.

By the same token then residents should have the right to maximise their quality of life in their own homes. These revenue creators care about nothing more than maximising profits. There needs to be a certain balance. It shouldn't be all or nothing either way.

JRant wrote: »
    By the same token then residents should have the right to maximise their quality of life in their own homes. These revenue creators care about nothing more than maximising profits. There needs to be a certain balance. It shouldn't be all or nothing either way.

This is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

Large tracts of north inner Dublin need leveling and re-building.

CPO the surrounding area. Compensate locals and bring the area out of the 20th century.

Maybe wouldn't even be any call for a metro north if done right, so write off that expense.

vegetables wrote: »
    Large tracts of north inner Dublin need leveling and re-building.

CPO the surrounding area. Compensate locals and bring the area out of the 20th century.

Maybe wouldn't even be any call for a metro north if done right, so write off that expense.

metro north is necessary and must be built. nothing wrong with parts of dublin remaining with 20th century arcatecture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement