Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many concerts should be allowed in Croke Park every year?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Pre 1997 both championships were straight knock out, since the qualifiers the stadium is very busy by comparison with what went before, it is not valid to make glib remarks about people buying a house not noticing the stadium.
    Croke Park is not in an appropriate place, if it was being built now it obviously wouldn't go into an area with so many residents so close by. Pairc Ui Chaoimh is a pretty awkward spot to get in and out of but it does have the advantage of not having lots of residents on its doorstep.
    I'm a huge GAA fan, go to Croke Park any time my county plays and occasionally as a neutral, but I would have no doubt that the association needs to show more respect to the locals. Keep the games, cut down on the 'events'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The loss to the economy argument is always a bit of an agenda back of a cigarette packet calculation.

It's like saying all the culchies that couldn't go to see garth brooks just took 400 quid out of the bank and burned it instead of, you know, putting it back into other sectors of the economy.

Yeah, economic multipliers claims about matches, concerts etc are often strained. They boost businesses in one area and take away from it another. If you get a lot of people coming in from abroad coming in for something like the Rugby World Cup then there's some validity, but people going from Kildare or Cork to Dublin to go to a concert doesn't boost Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 The Red m

jebus28 wrote: »
    They never happened because residence took a stand and faced backlash for it. I think it's you that's a snob if you think locals need shut up shop more than 20 times a year just because you want to go to a concert. Entitlement or what.

And I'm sorry you're upset that you didn't get to see Garth, but my job is more important.

I didn't say concerts should be 20 times a year. It was you who said that people expect you to move so they can listen to country music 5 nights a week. The thread is about how many concerts should be allowed not the country music debacle from 2014 which you brought up. It's music snobbery if you have an issue with country music being played but have nothing to say about other concerts that took place every year before and after that. And I'm not a Brooks fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭jebus28

The Red m wrote: »
    I didn't say concerts should be 20 times a year. It was you who said that people expect you to move so they can listen to country music 5 nights a week. The thread is about how many concerts should be allowed not the country music debacle from 2014 which you brought up. It's music snobbery if you have an issue with country music being played but have nothing to say about other concerts that took place every year before and after that. And I'm not a Brooks fan.

Oh boo hoo. The man on the internet doesn't like country music. I used it as an example, you want me to list out every single genre at the risk of offending someone? So how many gigs do you think should be held there? I personally think none as matches are enough for residents to endure.

Oh boo hoo. The man on the internet doesn't like country music. I used it as an example, you want me to list out every single genre at the risk of offending someone? So how many gigs do you think should be held there? I personally think none as matches are enough for residents to endure.

Your concerns are nothing to do with concerts. They happen with matches as well. It's what you get for choosing to live beside one of Europe's biggest stadiums. The argument that residents had houses before concerts at the stadium is stupid, did they expect a stadium from the decades ago not to expand. Stadiums around the world are being used for concerts. We can cry about transportation and residential areas and what not but we live in Ireland that doesn't do anything right. Croke Park isn't being moved, houses aren't being moved but it's a stadium that will be used. We dont have the weather for outdoor events, the stadium is in full use at weekends for august and September, thats a two month window where concerts can take place in May and June. I think 4 or 5 is a reasonable amount. I think the Croke Park residents has it easy, it doesn't get used for the winter months. The odd Saturday or Sunday in spring. It really isn't being used that much.

• Advertisement

Your concerns are nothing to do with concerts. They happen with matches as well. It's what you get for choosing to live beside one of Europe's biggest stadiums. The argument that residents had houses before concerts at the stadium is stupid, did they expect a stadium from the decades ago not to expand. Stadiums around the world are being used for concerts. We can cry about transportation and residential areas and what not but we live in Ireland that doesn't do anything right. Croke Park isn't being moved, houses aren't being moved but it's a stadium that will be used. We dont have the weather for outdoor events, the stadium is in full use at weekends for august and September, thats a two month window where concerts can take place in May and June. I think 4 or 5 is a reasonable amount. I think the Croke Park residents has it easy, it doesn't get used for the winter months. The odd Saturday or Sunday in spring. It really isn't being used that much.

Now we are down to it , a contempt for residents. Matches aren't played until 10 and 11pm and the crowds pale in comparison. Stupid to compare them at all. You don't even acknowledge the noise being generated from these events, nigtmare with young kids. And the noise of thousands drunk people carries on well into the night.
    Eessentially your opinion is based and nothing more than you want concerts without any perspective. I'd say your from down the country. And I didn't chose to live anywhere and residents rightly will have the last say. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Now we are down to it , a contempt for residents. Matches aren't played until 10 and 11pm and the crowds pale in comparison. Stupid to compare them at all. You don't even acknowledge the noise being generated from these events, nigtmare with young kids. And the noise of thousands drunk people carries on well into the night.
    Eessentially your opinion is based and nothing more than you want concerts without any perspective. I'd say your from down the country. And I didn't chose to live anywhere and residents rightly will have the last say. Get over it.

wrong the residents won't have the last say. the authorities will. young children is not a reason for the venue not to be used to it's full potential. it will stimulate their minds and educate them on cultural aspects.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

wrong the residents won't have the last say. the authorities will. young children is not a reason for the venue not to be used to it's full potential. it will stimulate their minds and educate them on cultural aspects.

That made me laugh. 99 percent of residents would oppose any further concerts, plenty to derail any plans of doing so. There will never be more concerts held there. Young children having their minds stimulated until 2am by throves of drunk people pissing outside their house. Makes sense....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That made me laugh. 99 percent of residents would oppose any further concerts, plenty to derail any plans of doing so. There will never be more concerts held there.

wrong only the authorities can de-rail it. if the authorities issue more licences as they are allowed to do then concerts will happen and nobody can or will stop it. more concerts will eventually happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How many concerts should be allowed in Croke Park every year?

Twelve.

• Advertisement

Where's the contempt? It's a stadium that will be used. Get over it.

wrong only the authorities can de-rail it. if the authorities issue more licences as they are allowed to do then concerts will happen and nobody can or will stop it. more concerts will eventually happen.

I love how you dodged the point about how stressful it is on children and families. Obsessed with money.

Where's the contempt? It's a stadium that will be used. Get over it.

So you are from the country. No idea about city life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Was the planning thing about the concerts for next year resolved.. just curious as to whats happening as for a few days it was the talk of the Country...

Advertisement