Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legality of decoys for pigeons

Options
  • 22-07-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

hi lads just wondering whats the legality for using decoys for pigeons this time of year.. 
    i see a lot of lads using them but for some reason i thought it was illegal out of season to use them..
    i understand pigons can be shot out of season this time of year if damaging crops...
     but i thought decoys could only be used when they are in season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What does the derogation say? I'm on mobile now so can't look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Vegeta wrote: »
    EU tells us what we can do when it comes to shooting in our own country, now it is going to get a lot worst in the the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vegeta wrote: »

"Shooting with rifle or shotgun"

The way I interpret it - decoys are allowed.

The Wildlife Acts permit the use of decoys for ducks, geese & pigeons.

Therefore decoys are legal to use when pigeons are being hunted.

When derogation allows extension of pigeon hunting, for crop protection, then I cannot see why decoys would not be allowed...when the Acts permit their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Seem to recall that decoys are not legal for corvid shooting, any opinions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Yep not legal for corvid, that is by way of artificial ones but dead birds are legal.

Gas thing is that in France the use of artificial decoys is illegal while the use of live birds both caged and theaderd is the legal norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Do caged corvids work as a decoy? Surely they'd be screaming whatever the crow speak for 'run away' is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

ezra_ wrote: »
    Do caged corvids work as a decoy? Surely they'd be screaming whatever the crow speak for 'run away' is?

Very territorial birds - bring a stanger into their patch and they'll be out for blood. Go utterly mental so they do!

Yep not legal for corvid, that is by way of artificial ones but dead birds are legal.

Gas thing is that in France the use of artificial decoys is illegal while the use of live birds both caged and theaderd is the legal norm.
    blackpearl wrote: »
    EU tells us what we can do when it comes to shooting in our own country, now it is going to get a lot worst in the the next few years.

EU dictate Derogatioon rules for member states yet:

UK...allowed artificial crow decoys

FRANCE ...allowed live crow decoys but not artificial

IRELAND...NO crow decoys allowed

Are we not all in the same E.U??

I think it's crazy that decoys can be used to control crop damage for one vermin species - pigeons - but not another - crows ....doing the same damage!!

J.R. wrote: »
    EU dictate Derogatioon rules for member states yet:....!

Maybe just splitting hairs here, but for the sake of clarity the EU don't actually dictate the terms of the yearly derogation, it in fact empowers the member states to introduce variations to the EU wildbird protection regulations in order to control or protect. In some places in the EU certain bird species especially corvids are protected due to decline in numbers while others are heavily culled do to over population. You'll see that the seagull control has been added to only a specific part of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Are you sure, plenty of French videos using decoys,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-v3IL3q00E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xtkf0Jxs8Y

The first vid shows them using decoys. The second one shows them using a mix of dead and live birds in the decoy pattern.

In the southern parts that I was in the method of hunting was divided into two controlled forms either one not being allowed in the other region /area. Both involved very sophisticated sets ups using permanent hides (complete with kitchens, heating, decoy control centres etc) that where either lofted above the tree canopy or very well concealed on the floor of the wooded area. Each employed complicated systems of pulleys control perched birds (enabling them to be gently rocked in order to produce movement) some birds are tiederd so to allow them to fly between perchs or launch themselves up wards a couple of feet above the canopy (marauding hawks can be an issue)
    In one area the controlled method of hunting must be done by use of a gun as the birds come into the tree canopy while the other area was only allowed to use ground nets triggered by the Hunter at the most optimum time (this method although using canopy high live decoys utilize ground birds on ground level perches or cages) when he believes that he has as many birds as he can in the trap area.
    Both method produce very small daily bags with 6 birds considered a good result. A days hunt consists of long periods spent in the hides but to be honest your really talking about man caves complete with very extensive drinks cabinets.

Things may have changed since I was there, regional stipulations may allow artificial decoys in certain places. Or maybe it's a case of the same situation here where decoys (corvids) are readily sold in the shops but are not legally utilized by hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I love the idea of the large man cave type hides , especially the elevated ones, Seems a lot of work for a few pigeons, but it looks very comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak-GKVDtdRI

They shoot pigeons from high towers in woods in UK

I'd say the pick up is difficult

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/videos/pigeon-shooting-videos/video-shooting-pigeons-from-a-high-tower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

If you want great shooting on crows 1 bag of rolled barley and a fresh cut silage field. Feed for 1 week before.... then it's like piranha feeding on a scabby leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Chiparus wrote: »

There's also videos on YouTube of lads in Ireland hunting deer with dogs mate. Just because it's on the net doesn't make it legal. Never go by the interweb in accordance with the real law. Just my 2c. Not having a go by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If you want great shooting on crows 1 bag of rolled barley and a fresh cut silage field. Feed for 1 week before.... then it's like piranha feeding on a scabby leg.

Piranha on a scabby leg!! 😂😂😂😂brilliant.

Advertisement