Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 original white xenon Power Brick red light

Options
  • 22-07-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I gave my brother my original white xbox 360 a couple of years ago as I bought a slim and wanted to see my old 360 being used rather than broke in a box.
    I actually had it repaired before I gave it to him.
    Anyway he hardly used it at all since just watched a couple of films on it,
    Now that he is trying to get into gaming on it, it won't fricking work and has this problem.
    When I plug in the xbox 360 the power brick light is orange and as soon as I press the power button on the xbox 360 the power brick light turns red.
    It's a xenon/xephyr model with a big 16.5 amp power brick.
    I wonder if I unscrewed all the screws from the power brick and tried to clean it out would that help?
    Would it be dangerous?
    Could I end up electrocuting myself or is it safe?
    Has anyone ever tried this?
    Does it work?
    Could it be the console instead of the power brick that's at fault?
    The white xbox 360 original was a major pain in the ass, you didn't even have to use the thing for it to go balls on you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

No one ever answered this question.
    Old white xbox 360 power brick problem.
    When I plug it in the power brick is lit yellow and when I press the power button on the xbox 360 the light on the power brick turns red.
    Is it the power brick or the console that is broke?
    Is there any way of fixing it?
    If no one replies this time then I'm just finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Try the troubleshooting here?

https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/xbox-360/console/check-power-supply

Seems you might need a new power brick. CEX usually have a couple.

I tried that troubleshooting thing months ago.
    How much do cex charge for a power brick?
    I never could find any on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is that the right power brick though. One time I could tell just by looking at it but I forget another way is the wattage.

• Advertisement

It has to be 203 watt so no that's the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I have one of these thrown in a box at home. I'm not sure what wattage it is, but it's yours if it works for you.

I can check it this eve and let you know.

I have one of these thrown in a box at home. I'm not sure what wattage it is, but it's yours if it works for you.

I can check it this eve and let you know.

That'd be great thanks yes sure let me know when you can.
    The console was serviced in 2013 by Microsoft so it needs a 203w I believe.
    It was a xenon originally so although there's a hdmi on it now I still think it's probably using Xenon chipset as it was using 203w PSU.
    It was hardly ever used since then and the power brick still managed to breakdown.
    The white Xbox 360 and the cursed big massive c64 type power brick - 2 of the crappiest pieces of technology built by man. Well done with that achievement Microsoft.
    That bloody white 360 was in for repair 3 times by the way. Last time it kept freezing and this time I don't want to waste any more money on it.
    I got it repaired for my brother back 2013.
    I have a slim myself.
    I vowed never to waste anymore money on it after 2013 as it is a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

quinnd6 wrote: »
    It was a xenon originally so although there's a hdmi on it now I still think it's probably using Xenon chipset as it was using 203w PSU.
    It was hardly ever used since then and the power brick still managed to breakdown.
    The white Xbox 360 and the cursed big massive c64 type power brick - 2 of the crappiest pieces of technology built by man. Well done with that achievement Microsoft.
    That bloody white 360 was in for repair 3 times by the way. Last time it kept freezing and this time I don't want to waste any more money on it.
    I have a slim myself.

Checked last night, only the 150w I'm afraid. Must have been off the later generations. I ended up with about 5 or 6 of the consoles over time :rolleyes:

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I have a slim myself.

If it's got a HDMI port it's not a Xenon anyway. It'll be at least a Zephyr.

There are a few of the 203W ones on ebay and amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement