Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone SE 32gb is this a bargain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

tedpan wrote: »
    Try a voda or meteor SIM too, just to confirm. I know lyca uses the 3 network, so may not be the best test.

Their still different operators. A Lyca sim wouldn't work in a locked 3 phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

Try a voda or meteor SIM too, just to confirm. I know lyca uses the 3 network, so may not be the best test.

Mrs is in bed and I just got her phone which has a meteor sim, shes on bill pay and the sim is locked. I got a message saying sim is locked and wasn't going to bother her. But I think if my iPhone was locked I would have got a different message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

webpal wrote:
    Mrs is in bed and I just got her phone which has a meteor sim, shes on bill pay and the sim is locked. I got a message saying sim is locked and wasn't going to bother her. But I think if my iPhone was locked I would have got a different message?

Yeah, SIM locked usually means you need to enter the PIN to unlock the SIM card.

If the phone reads network locked, the phone is locked to a certain network.

So I think you're all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

Anyone got a spare reservation for dublin? Been eyeing this phone for ages and gutted I just missed it at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    I was told by multiple employees at Argos that it would, and was confirmed by Apple directly. There is a difference between sim unlocked and factory unlocked. There is a lot of diverging opinion.

I bought this phone for my daughter earlier this month as a present. Tested it out with my own sim and boxed it back up. Daughter used her own sim from a different network with no problems. I've changed to a new network since so I tested out that network about half an hour ago (can't sleep). That also worked without any problem other than me trying to open the damn sim cover! Anyway, that is 3 different networks on the phone in less than a month so I can confirm that all the experts in argos were wrong.

Anyone got a spare reservation for dublin? Been eyeing this phone for ages and gutted I just missed it at this price.

Komplett.ie have them at the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭brianorourke

webpal wrote: »

Same price for a refurbished 16gb excluding VAT. Big difference from Argos.

No sure what you mean but they have new ones at same spec and price as well as refurbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

webpal wrote: »

http://www.komplett.ie/apple-iphone-se-32-gb-goud/80047586/details.aspx

nope, brand new same as argos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Damn it are these all gone from Argos now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Crazy money for these 4" iphones

You'd get a top spec Chinese Android for the same

Oh hold on
    Komplett have the space grey one in stock
    Thats a reputable site and the same phone right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

km79 wrote: »
    Damn it are these all gone from Argos now?

According to stock checker, appears so :(

Bought one from Komplett
    Thanks a million OP

Xmas present sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Can't get many good 4 inch android phones.

• Advertisement

For anyone that missed out they were on sale in Argos at the same price 2/3 weeks ago so they may appear again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Recently picked one up for my wife via PM from John Lewis.

128gb model, 2 year service guarantee, €446:
    https://www.johnlewis.com/apple-iphone-se-ios-4-4g-lte-sim-free-128gb/p3188556?colour=Space+Grey&navAction=jump&_requestid=26188775

My wife really didn't want to upgrade from her iPhone 4S due to the bigger size of the latest models. However the battery on her old phone was spent. It was a really good fit for her needs and she's loving the battery / speed performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Im an Android guy but comparing an the SE to any of the chinese phones is laughable.

If you want a small phone there's no comparison and performance wise this would still run rings around comparably prices Android phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

https://www.johnlewis.com/apple-iphone-se-ios-4-4g-lte-sim-free-128gb/p3188556?colour=Space+Grey&navAction=jump&_requestid=26188775

My wife really didn't want to upgrade from her iPhone 4S due to the bigger size of the latest models. However the battery on her old phone was spent. It was a really good fit for her needs and she's loving the battery / speed performance.

Well worth getting the 128GB model linked above instead of the 32GB because of the size of weekly app updates (are huge typically 100-200mb per app).

My latest updates:
    Snapchat 204mb
    Google Maps 117mb
    Airbnb 214mb
    Instagram 114mb
    Deezer 121mb
    YouTube 130mmb
    Whatsapp 142mb
    Twitter 195mb

beno619 wrote: »
    Im an Android guy but comparing an the SE to any of the chinese phones is laughable.

If you want a small phone there's no comparison and performance wise this would still run rings around comparably prices Android phones.

if you want a small phone yes

but performance wise no ,it won't beat comparably priced android

• Advertisement

The key part is the size. People aren't in this thread because they want a random phone. They want a small phone. And this is a very good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I'll entertain this for a few seconds.

http://www.antutu.com/en/ranking/rank1.htm

Sort by CPU benchmark. Then for the laugh try and find another 4 inch phone for €369 on the list. Tired of ppl talking out of their a$$, Apple doesn't need the 8 cores etc to make blisteringly fast phones.

Bear in mind the Oneplus 5 became the only first android to ever beat the latest iphone in the open/switch test a few weeks back. For opening all apps from scratch the iphone won but for switching while open the oneplus regained the lead thanks to 8GB of ram.

This is a great bargain.

BBMcQ wrote: »

Sort by CPU benchmark. Then for the laugh try and find another 4 inch phone for €369 on the list. Tired of ppl talking out of their a$$, Apple doesn't need the 8 cores etc to make blisteringly fast phones.

Bear in mind the Oneplus 5 became the only first android to ever beat the latest iphone in the open/switch test a few weeks back. For opening all apps from scratch the iphone won but for switching while open the oneplus regained the lead thanks to 8GB of ram.

This is a great bargain.

You actually didn't respond to my point directly

There are comparably priced phones with better performance

This is a great bargain.

Really, you want to be sorting by UX. This is what most average users will appreciate a phone by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Great, yet another BA thread gets derailed by the p*ss*ng match between Android and iOS.

This is a great bargain.

OP3 & OP3T
    OnePlus and Meizu just got busted for benchmark cheating

OP5
    XDA - Do NOT Trust OnePlus 5 Benchmarks in Reviews
    Google engineer bashes OnePlus 5 for cheating on benchmarks
    https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5-benchmark-cheating-reviews/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

emmetkenny wrote: »
    This was all reported at launch of the OP5. Who looks at benchmark now anyway?

The guy I responded to :confused: My point in posting the links was to show that he shouldn't pay attention to benchmarks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The guy I responded to :confused: My point in posting the links was to show that he shouldn't pay attention to benchmarks

Ah that went completely over my head :D

A friend has the SE and it seems a good phone. To small for me though. If people are looking for a small iPhine it's a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would say 1% of people buying an iPhone will even know what a benchmark for a phone is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wanted to thank OP for causing me to look this up when posting last night. Noticed price had dropped £40 since I bought it a couple weeks ago. Filled out their price promise form which covers you the first month you buy something. Just got a £40 refund approved to match current sale price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Comparing this phone to better speced androids is stupid. Androids always always have outperformed apple on specs alone...doesn't make for a better phone all the time though. €369 for this phone is great value. It's basically a €700 6s in a smaller form.

If you're the type who likes to compare apple v android and slag one or the other you're expremely sad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

To all the insecure saddo android fanboys who feel they need to click into a thread which is clearly labelled as having an apple product and spouting the usual my phone is better than your phone crap there are plenty of other threads for ye to crash in the mobile section.

For those interested in this bargain they are dripping back into stock at some stores

And Argos are doing their 10 off 100 offer

Basil3 wrote: »
    Really, you want to be sorting by UX. This is what most average users will appreciate a phone by.

Ok so the SE is margnally better than the LG G5 and then better than the Samsung S7... bargain! Don't forget the intangible that some ppl just prefer iOS!

You actually didn't respond to my point directly

There are comparably priced phones with better performance

Like the LG V20 which is superior in every way, for 310euro.

No point in arguing though. People like apple, because they are simple to use and users don't care if they use the full potential of their processing power or not. So many limitations with iPhones, although people don't like change.

Leave them to it..

Ok so the SE is margnally better than the LG G5 and then better than the Samsung S7... bargain! Don't forget the intangible that some ppl just prefer iOS!

No need to get defensive....was just making your useful link a little more useful :)

To all the insecure saddo android fanboys who feel they need to click into a thread which is clearly labelled as having an apple product and spouting the usual my phone is better than your phone crap there are plenty of other threads for ye to crash in the mobile section.

For those interested in this bargain they are dripping back into stock at some stores

And Argos are doing their 10 off 100 offer

Niiiiice.
    Free €10 voucher when you spend €100 or more
    Free €5 voucher when you spend €50 or more
    WITH ANY PURCHASE BETWEEN 22nd July and 27th July
    & SPEND BETWEEN THE 22nd July and 22nd August 2017
    Like the LG V20 which is superior in every way, for 310euro.

No point in arguing though. People like apple, because they are simple to use and users don't care if they use the full potential of their processing power or not. So many limitations with iPhones, although people don't like change.

Leave them to it..

Where can you get a v20 for 310e? :eek: Id buy it

Basil3 wrote: »
    No need to get defensive....was just making your useful link a little more useful :)

We cool! (ppl were just piling on me when i started fighting fire with fire).

I'm trying to pick this up for my dad, he's still using an iPhone 4 and has an iPad Air so it all works together lovely. Apple are discontinuing 32 bit support so he's finally trying to upgrade. If anybody has a black or silver reservation somewhere or is going up the north let me know!

Just picked one up off Komplett.ie. Cheers o/p and whoever mentioned Komplett had them at the same price.

• Advertisement

Where can you get a v20 for 310e? Id buy it

Eglobalcentral. Lots of boardsies have been buying them. There's another thread called "best sub 300e android phones"

Two weeks for delivery, b&o headphones. Class phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

128GB available for €479

kazzer wrote: »
    128GB available for €479

Doesn't feel like a great deal, that. I think most people just use the iCloud or Google drive as opposed to clogging up 100gb of pics/vids these days don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XSPRD41/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

total 430 delivered to Ireland ^^

128gb memory on an SE is debatable, it fills it's memory quicker than a 5s due to larger camera and no option to take smaller pics/video. Also, what if you take video/pics quicker than you can upload them to iCloud, or dont want to use it. Or if you just simply like to hoard lots of crap on your phone, the 128gb is great value now.

Anyways, I'm waiting on this one above to be delivered ^^

Horses for courses. I can see why it would be a good deal, particularly at the €430, my point was more that for the majority, I figure the other one was the better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've got a 16gb SE and it gets filled every three months or so but it's down to my podcast app only. My photos get uploaded to various cloud services and deleted from my device every time I hit wifi. I just delete a tonne of podcasts and Ive got about 8/9 gig free again. It's not ideal but the 32gig would more than solve that particular problem. The 128 is just overkill, there's no need for it.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much my thinking yeah.

Back in stock now in Argos for a few stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

I see the link I posted changed price twice since I posted that link, maybe it will change again soon in a better direction. I got my 128gb delivered today and look forward to being able to take a video longer than 5 minutes long now.

I have another German link for you guys for the 32gb version: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/apple+iphone+se+32gb+spacegrau+eu 319 euros + delivery ( didnt check into delivery to Ireland ).

That eglobalcentral.eu website might be a tenner cheaper than notebooksbilliger but their website is terrible with popups and I left it.

My 2c after buying the 4s, 5, the 5s, and the SE in 16gb variants, hmmm the SE is a disk space killer and if I had bought the 64gb at first last year for 589 euros from apple it would have been better than the buying it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Redrocket wrote: »
    I see the link I posted changed price twice since I posted that link, maybe it will change again soon in a better direction. I got my 128gb delivered today and look forward to being able to take a video longer than 5 minutes long now.

I have another German link for you guys for the 32gb version: https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/apple+iphone+se+32gb+spacegrau+eu 319 euros + delivery ( didnt check into delivery to Ireland ).

That eglobalcentral.eu website might be a tenner cheaper than notebooksbilliger but their website is terrible with popups and I left it.

My 2c after buying the 4s, 5, the 5s, and the SE in 16gb variants, hmmm the SE is a disk space killer and if I had bought the 64gb at first last year for 589 euros from apple it would have been better than the buying it twice.

Would you recommend against the 32GB model? I'm still undecided between the 32GB and 128GB model.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 levingout92

I really wanted to get Iphone SE for me and my GF but argos was out so ended up buying two of them from ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Apple-iPhone-SE-32GB-iOS-Smartphone-Handy-ohne-Vertrag-LTE-4G-Siri-Retina-WOW-/192164799990?var=&hash=item2cbdea25f6:m:m1MaJbj_lXFX-rnN_JcO-8Q

• Advertisement
Advertisement