Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrone HIM 29th July

Options
  • 22-07-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

A new half ironman to the calender next weekend being run by Tyrone tri club.

They have a few races being held over the Fri evening and sat morning.

Anybody from these parts racing?
    Looks to be a 140 in the HIM.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm in for the HIM. Looks like a decent course...but decided to travel up on the Saturday so early start for me. Be wrecked by the time I hit the water! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I'm in for the HIM. Looks like a decent course...but decided to travel up on the Saturday so early start for me. Be wrecked by the time I hit the water! :)

Few of us heading up from the west on the Fri. They sent us a few local accom recommendations.
    Had a look on Google maps and roads look and should be a flat and fast enough course.
    Jasus that will be an early start for you sat..

Few of us heading up from the west on the Fri. They sent us a few local accom recommendations.
    Had a look on Google maps and roads look and should be a flat and fast enough course.
    Jasus that will be an early start for you sat..

Be grand..carpooling so I'll sleep in the car ;) Just a training day for our gang going up doing IM Italy and Barcelona so most travelling on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can I ask how did everyone find this one? Planning on stepping up in distance next year, but would rather support a club than a brand, so pencilling this in if they do a half next year too...

Very good race.

Excellently organised
    Well marshalled
    Nice swim location
    The roads, while mostly open were safe and relatively traffic free (marshals at main junctions, couple of marshalls at the roundabout and two police officers at the roundabout directing cars
    Quick enough registratoin

My only 'issues' were the parking - was in a field that was marshy due to the rain (and full of cow sh*t) but nothing they can do about that as no other parking around from what I could see.
    The run course was dull as dishwater but again there's nothing else you could do for run round there from what I could see
    No bike security leaving transition after the race

They did a great job, 100% this is one I'll be back to. I believe there was also plenty of grub back up where we registered but we didn't opt for that as we wanted to hit the road home asap.

Relatively small numbers means you weren't hitting congestion at any stage I think there was about 120 doing the middle distance, not sure about numbers in the Olympic and they had the other two races on the previous day (if only more races that ran multiple distances could do that!)

So yeah, highly recommended. Can't go wrong really. €80 entry, middle distance race, t-shirt, medal, water bottle if you like your bells and whistles...and good organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

I'd second that. Few minor things that could be improved on but they were opportunities to improve not negatives.
    Fair fair to Tyrone tri club. Good value and well organised.
    You'll see a few people target this race as it's a fast course with right conditions and winds stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Great to see clubs taking on the middle distance again, thought it might go the other way with the withdrawal of a couple of well known HIMs in recent years, so great to see this and Hardman half trying to fill the gaps. Great value for anyone looking to test the race distance without all the ott jazz of a big brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

I'll third those opinions. Good race overall. Marshalling could be improved in places and could have done with at least the semblance of draft marshalling on the bike. If I can, I'll be back (with better legs)

Advertisement