Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming Expenses - Software/Books

Options
  • 22-07-2017 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before...

Can I claim software bought over the year for my online business as an expense? Also can I claim for books bought over the year that are relevant to my business (not for resale)?

Thanks for the help

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yes, you claim for both if they were purchased for the business and have receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Yes of course you can, and if you purchased them before setting up the business then you may also be able to put part down as investment in the business at startup. Taking the investment out later tax free.

Eg bough a printer a year ago for €300 now worth 200, invest the printer worth 200 in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

onedmc wrote: »
    Yes of course you can, and if you purchased them before setting up the business then you may also be able to put part down as investment in the business at startup. Taking the investment out later tax free.

Eg bough a printer a year ago for €300 now worth 200, invest the printer worth 200 in the business.

Careful now! I may be wrong but I believe Revenue only allow expenses incurred after settling up/registering the company.
    Plus with your printer scenario, how are you going to produce a receipt? It can't be issued by you as there may be tax implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Careful now! I may be wrong but I believe Revenue only allow expenses incurred after settling up/registering the company.
    Plus with your printer scenario, how are you going to produce a receipt? It can't be issued by you as there may be tax implications.

Yes, its not an expenses, its an investment. It need to be appropriately valued.

Advertisement