Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanding window opening for French doors

Options
  • 22-07-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

At the back of our house we have what was clearly an extension added at some point to the original (it's a terraced house in Cabra, D7 to give you an idea of age).

This extension is now the kitchen, and it has a window facing out onto our back garden, as well as a door on the side of the extension (which wasn't built full width across the plot, presumably to leave the bathroom with an external window, but anyway!).

The existing window is about 115cm in height on the 240cm height back wall, and it's about 70cm off the ground, 50cm from the ceiling (it's also about 180cm in width smack in the middle of the 300cm wide wall).

As the kitchen itself is a bit pokey, we're looking to convert this window into some French doors that would open out directly onto the garden. We had a Window/Door company that we'd used before out (not sure if I'm allowed to mention names), and they said that there wouldn't be any problem opening downwards from the existing windows, but that extending upwards would be more expensive and difficult.

But, with the door frames and the existing opening, we'd end up with French doors barely over 6 foot in height, which would be fine for either of us, but likely problematic when we come to sell.

So we'd really want to be adding another 10-15cm of height to the top of the window opening. And so I'm here wondering what would be involved with that, and how expensive it might be. I suppose for cost we'd be talking about the price to cleanly extend the opening both to the ground and up that small amount.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Get a builder out to price 'enlarging the ope' & 'making good of the internal & external after window install'
    give the window man the size of the ope.

Advertisement