Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mini cv provided to others

Options
  • 22-07-2017 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭

I was on holidays recently. In my absence I've been made aware that a mini cv on my credentials was presented to visiting managers from a different department.

I'm not happy hearing this at all. I don't think the manager who presented my information had any right to do this (not being my manager or in my reporting line at all), and that the people to whom it was presented had any right or reason to be shown this information. These people are not in the same function as me and would not have any need for this information (not that they requested it either).

I'm pretty sure that an old copy of my cv was taken from HR files to put together this mini cv.

Can anybody advise on this? As far as I can see this is in breach of my right to privacy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Are you 100% sure it was your cv they based it on? Who told you, was it just gossip? You would want to be absolutely certain that YOUR CV accessed and that they lifted very specific and unique phrases from it. Isnt is possible that they just put together a generic CV to impress visitors? Have a word with your manager about it and if they have nothing to hide they can show you the filepath where it was saved. To be honest though I would just move on from this, I don't think its such a big deal that its worth complaining about- you will come across much worse in a workplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Are you 100% sure it was your cv they based it on? Who told you, was it just gossip? You would want to be absolutely certain that YOUR CV accessed and that they lifted very specific and unique phrases from it. Isnt is possible that they just put together a generic CV to impress visitors? Have a word with your manager about it and if they have nothing to hide they can show you the filepath where it was saved. To be honest though I would just move on from this, I don't think its such a big deal that its worth complaining about- you will come across much worse in a workplace!

Ues absolutely sure it was my cv. Had job titles/companies I had previously worked for & qualifications I hold.

I have a copy of the presentation. I have access to where its saved. The person who did this is NOT my manager. Unfortunately this is indicative of the lack of respect in the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's not clear from your post, but what was the purpose of the presentation?

Were you identifiable from the presentation?

Maybe it was someone in HR who put together this mini CV at the request of the manager involved? The manager in question may have no idea who it was relating to?

No

There were slides about certain functions in the business and specifics about people in those functions. I was certainly identifiable

The slide basically said

Daheff works here for x number of years. Before daheff worked for x,y&z companies. Daheff has these qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It would not bother me at all. This is not private information - it is known to your employer and is probably in your LinkedIn. They want to give a picture of a competent team.

Having said that, if it bothers you so much, then it may be indicative of culture issues within the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This could be a violation of personal data privacy, but a lot depends on the context in which it was used. If you are not happy with this, it's worth having a discussion with HR

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Honest question OP, why is this such a big deal? Do you see a negative outcome for you in the workplace as a result? Do you thinking kicking up a fuss is going to result in any benefit to you?

Honestly it sounds like a compliment more than anything. They obviously thought your CV was good enough to be showing to people. It's all within your company by the sounds of things. I really don't get why you're so upset.

Honest question OP, why is this such a big deal? Do you see a negative outcome for you in the workplace as a result? Do you thinking kicking up a fuss is going to result in any benefit to you?

It's the absolute cheek of it that's annoying me. I'm sure if tables were turned I wouldn't have a job to turn up to tomorrow. This person took my personal data from confidential HR files-which she doesn't have access to. So means she had HR agreement to do this.

As for outcome... Really not sure what it's going to be... Just know that I'm fuming over the audacity of this person to do this.
    Honestly it sounds like a compliment more than anything. They obviously thought your CV was good enough to be showing to people. It's all within your company by the sounds of things. I really don't get why you're so upset.

It's not so much who was shown the information more so who did it. The people being presented to are from a completely different function so could care less about what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

daheff wrote: »
    It's the absolute cheek of it that's annoying me. I'm sure if tables were turned I wouldn't have a job to turn up to tomorrow. This person took my personal data from confidential HR files-which she doesn't have access to. So means she had HR agreement to do this.

As for outcome... Really not sure what it's going to be... Just know that I'm fuming over the audacity of this person to do this.

It's not so much who was shown the information more so who did it. The people being presented to are from a completely different function so could care less about what I do.

Fair enough. To use an overly dramatic phrase, just choose wisely what hill you're willing to die on. I don't know the situation in your company obviously but if there's no net gain for you in this it just might not be worth kicking up a fuss and possibly being seen as difficult as a result.

Maybe just query HR as to where the information came from in a fairly neutral manner. You'll know more and can go from there.

Advertisement