Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fitting?

Options
  • 23-07-2017 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

How much would a bike fit improve your performance and by what percentage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

spoke2cun wrote: »
    How much would a bike fit improve your performance and by what percentage?

It's near impossible to answer that correctly. Generally a bike fit will improve both comfort and performance but you may have it dialed in accurately so percentage increase could be from 0-100%.

I saw a clip by Francis Cade on a fitting by sigma sports it looked at everything including shoes/saddle it seemed very good. Inevitably the shoes were and up sell and bought but if money was no object I'd definitely get one done.

Aidan hammond seems to be the man to go to so perhaps send him a message and ask. http://www.bikefittingireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

+1 for Aidan Hammond.

Prior to my visit to Aidan, I suffered awful leg cramps, and neck/shoulder pain at any distance beyond 20kms. I'd plateaued at 22kph as I just couldn't get comfortable and was on the verge of selling the bike as the aches and pains weren't worth it. Post my bike fit, what aches and pains? Now a year later my average speed is usually over 30kph and I can cycle as far as I like with just plain old tiredness to deal with but no aches. Best money you'll ever spend on cycling is a good bike fit. You'll get comfortable on the bike, you'll be able to channel your muscle power into propelling yourself faster and/or longer. I went out at 7am this morning for an "easy relaxing spin". Ended up doing 75kms at an average of 27kph and not a bother on me when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

D13exile wrote: »
    +1 for Aidan Hammond.

Prior to my visit to Aidan, I suffered awful leg cramps, and neck/shoulder pain at any distance beyond 20kms. I'd plateaued at 22kph as I just couldn't get comfortable and was on the verge of selling the bike as the aches and pains weren't worth it. Post my bike fit, what aches and pains? Now a year later my average speed is usually over 30kph and I can cycle as far as I like with just plain old tiredness to deal with but no aches. Best money you'll ever spend on cycling is a good bike fit. You'll get comfortable on the bike, you'll be able to channel your muscle power into propelling yourself faster and/or longer. I went out at 7am this morning for an "easy relaxing spin". Ended up doing 75kms at an average of 27kph and not a bother on me when I got home.

Thanks for this. Sounds like the way to go alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have done the bike fit, and not much was actually changed (except saddle height). Is it something you should do every few years?

Physio actually got me to raise the saddle slightly again, as I was having issues with my hamstring tendons never being fully extended. This was a year or so down the line. The likes of Aidan do subsequent fits at a reduced price - does anyone know is that just setting up based off the previous measures, or is there an element of retesting mobility etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭positron

Just thinking out loud here - Isn't bike-fit something that will change as your fitness, core strength and/or flexibility improves? While getting it setup correctly is important, shouldn't be reviewed/tweaked regularly? Also everytime you change bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Macy0161

positron wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here - Isn't bike-fit something that will change as your fitness, core strength and/or flexibility improves? While getting it setup correctly is important, shouldn't be reviewed/tweaked regularly? Also everytime you change bike?
    Yeah - that's basically my question laid out more clearly. I think you'd get it done each new bike, but is flexibility/ reach rechecked if you go back to Aidan/ anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

positron wrote: »

I wouldn't say regularly, but it may have to be tweaked if your flexibility changes. It also depends on what type of cycling you do. E.g. A bike fit for racing is different to a bike fit for comfort. Any race I do is two hours or so. So my race bike is setup different to my "Sportive" bike.

Advertisement