Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach Experience Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

road_high wrote: »
    Kilkenny is fairly poorly served by public transport so these incidents are inevitable. Was on a random Sunday train lately to Dublin midday and it was full from Kilkenny- driver was on the blower to passengers to take all bags off seats. Could badly do with more trains and bus options to from Dublin in particular

I always thought it was odd there was a 4 hour gap in the train service between Kilkenny and Dublin, 3 pm to 7 pm or something like that. It rules out the option of the train home for anyone from Carlow but working in Kilkenny. Your only option to Dublin between those times is the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I always thought it was odd there was a 4 hour gap in the train service between Kilkenny and Dublin, 3 pm to 7 pm or something like that. It rules out the option of the train home for anyone from Carlow but working in Kilkenny. Your only option to Dublin between those times is the bus.

There’s massive gaps all over the timetable. Late evening return from Dublin, one early morning commuter service. Part of the problem is the stupid layout and location of kk station which is a dead end originally built as part of the now closed Marlborough line. Kilkenny is only an hour and half from Dublin on the train, it needs more services

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭belfast stephen

The 171 mercs on the 300 route should be going on the cork route with the 181 Reg going on the 300 route as belfast is getting new coaches in the new year and they wil be somthing different for the belfast service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They had a 17.35 out of Kilkenny to Dublin for a few years, it carried very few and was scrapped. The priority now should be a 09.00 out of Waterford to Dublin.

Dublin Coach have showed them there is a lot of demand for Kileknny-Waterford as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They had a 17.35 out of Kilkenny to Dublin for a few years, it carried very few and was scrapped. The priority now should be a 09.00 out of Waterford to Dublin.

Dublin Coach have showed them there is a lot of demand for Kileknny-Waterford as well.

Very hard for the train to compete with Dublin Coach from Kilkenny to Waterford, I believe it is just 5 euro each way and far more frequent, and stops in Waterford in more convenient locations.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

There really should be an early morning train into Waterford before 9.00am. Another crazy gap. If passing loops are the constraint install more. The Waterford line has huge potential as we can see from the current passenger numbers which seem to have risen fast despite the gaps

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Very hard for the train to compete with Dublin Coach from Kilkenny to Waterford, I believe it is just 5 euro each way and far more frequent, and stops in Waterford in more convenient locations.

The few times I got the train to Waterford there seems to be a nice few passengers to and from Kilkenny. The location is bit of a pain but could be improved with a pedestrian bridge over the Suir

Dublin Coach going to WIT is a major draw for them but IE had years to implement a service which could have worked and CIE co-operation could have a bus serve the station morning/even to transfer students.

Students don't need to move from Kilkenny to Waterford for college, Dublin Coach have a good schedule that allows them to study and have a social life outside college.

They still carry a nice bit of traffic by train.

Had to pick up a gear box yesterday at Red Cow from another coach. One way of avoiding courier costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

M50 southbound completely fcuked this morning with one of them broken down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Truckermal wrote: »
    M50 southbound completely fcuked this morning with one of them broken down.

The M50 exists to be constantly Fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

Just passed what looked to be a burnt out DC Double Decker on Newlands Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭GBX

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Just passed what looked to be a burnt out DC Double Decker on Newlands Cross.

"Overnight firefighters extinguished a coach fire on the #N7 Naas Road inbound at Newlands X. 3 fire engines were sent to the scene from Tallaght & Dolphins Barn stations #Dublin #fire #SDCC"

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1197804201356791808

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Another day, another Dublin Coach incident.

It's funny how Stagecoach have managed to run a large fleet of these Astromegas for years without them breaking down constantly or self-immolating.

It is long past time that commercial bus operators are subject to proper oversight from their licencing authority. DC are one of the worst of them but it shouldn't be left up to the operators whim to run essential public services however they feel like it with no consequences for poor service or lax maintenance, safety and legal compliance.

If Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann or Go-Ahead Ireland had as many incidents as these cowboys they'd be on the receiving end of fines and threats to withdraw contracts. If they had incidents equivalent to the relative size of their fleets to DC it would be front page news territory and demands for them to be taken off the country's roads immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Even if the licencing authority stands back would have expected DC's insurers to be all over them.

Perhaps no cover for fire ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Muller1991

Its no wonder the vehicles they have are burning out on them.

Most of the fleet that goes up in flames where possibly on the way out when DC purchased them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to hand I think a lot of the Setras they had where previously with Aircoach (They more than likely had millions of miles on the clock).

I'd be inclined to think it would be the same with the Double deck coaches they bought from UK owners.

On a side note I've also seen them parked at different termini for more than half an hour with the engine running , Surely this isn't best practice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

How can they possibly be let continue to have these clapped out pieces of ****e going up and down our country's motorways. Only a matter of time before someone is killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GBX wrote: »
    "Overnight firefighters extinguished a coach fire on the #N7 Naas Road inbound at Newlands X. 3 fire engines were sent to the scene from Tallaght & Dolphins Barn stations #Dublin #fire #SDCC"

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1197804201356791808
    Tweet deleted? Unusual for DFB...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Dublin coach broken down on N25 other night. Hazards on well when I say on only working on one side on the back! Least the front hazards both worked and it wasn't on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭soundman45

Some facebook pages that reported it such as Naas Ball also removed the post, wonder what's going on there.

• Advertisement

soundman45 wrote: »
    Some facebook pages that reported it such as Naas Ball also removed the post, wonder what's going on there.

Wonder is it some gentle coaxing from DB themselves? The comments sections are always rife when another one goes up in smoke.

Was on Dublin Coach last Saturday, went all the way to Ennis and back. WiFi no good either way. Ennis - Dublin 6 pm is just that bit edgy, from Kildare village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Muller1991 wrote: »
    Its no wonder the vehicles they have are burning out on them.

Most of the fleet that goes up in flames where possibly on the way out when DC purchased them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to hand I think a lot of the Setras they had where previously with Aircoach (They more than likely had millions of miles on the clock).

I'd be inclined to think it would be the same with the Double deck coaches they bought from UK owners.

On a side note I've also seen them parked at different termini for more than half an hour with the engine running , Surely this isn't best practice ?

Yep, the ex-Aircoach and UK buses were well worn by the time DC took possession. It's been discussed here a lot as the reason behind the poor condition and reliability of these vehicles. That and what seems to be very poor maintenance and constant operation under DC - have a look in the pictures thread on the Bus Enthusiasts sub forum here. The last page or two has plenty of pictures of buses rotting outside their depot.

The engine running constantly was suggested as being because some of them might not start again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

One of their coaches broken down tonight on M50 NB just after the toll, causing long tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was behind 227 an 04 setra going into Kilkenny today. The smoke coming off it when it accelerated was woeful. It did not have it's rear right light working and that's been like that at least 3 weeks as I regularly see this on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

patrickc wrote: »
    I was behind 227 an 04 setra going into Kilkenny today. The smoke coming off it when it accelerated was woeful. It did not have it's rear right light working and that's been like that at least 3 weeks as I regularly see this on this route.

Madness as that's to have a walk around daily and that would be a huge defect which in turn should ground the bus.....

Obviously they couldn't give a fluck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Madness as that's to have a walk around daily and that would be a huge defect which in turn should ground the bus.....

Obviously they couldn't give a fluck

Any reputable bus operation with a proper maintence department wouldn't assign a driver with a defective bus in the first place. They shouldn't be relying on a walk checks around check to spot serious defects. The walk around check should only be used to spot minor things like a blow headlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

I never use this service so have no experience of it.... if I want to go from Naas to Dublin after a night out this Friday 20th Dec, is the timetable reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Joker2019 wrote: »
    Any reputable bus operation with a proper maintence department wouldn't assign a driver with a defective bus in the first place. They shouldn't be relying on a walk checks around check to spot serious defects. The walk around check should only be used to spot minor things like a blow headlight.

These things can happen, I do one each morning before going out.

Some people doing the check for you don't have a clue though...

Wedding bus when it was in the garage was going around at least 3 months with no working Brake lights on one side.

I knew this as I'd see it out and had reported it previous.

I had it one day and knew it was faulty, drove to check bay, got all thumbs up as in all good.....

I said are you sure, go back and check whatever side it was they still didn't understand....

Got maintenance they were like oh and I said sure been like that months.... It was taken off the road and was still stripped in the shed 4 hours later.... These were LED so not a bulb change.

With DC it's obvious it's all put on the driver but I know myself I wouldn't drive it out the gate....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

tempnam wrote: »
    I never use this service so have no experience of it.... if I want to go from Naas to Dublin after a night out this Friday 20th Dec, is the timetable reliable?

I am from Newbridge we used to always use DC when flying out of Dublin Airport, but we stopped using them after once missing our flights due to late arrival in the airport because the coach was an hour late picking us up.

So, if I was advising You, I would say a resounding NO.

Advertisement