Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good scope for 10m - 50m target shooting

Options
  • 23-07-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for peoples opinions on a scope for 10m - 50m target shooting.
    I'd prefer at least a 50mm objective and 6-24 zoom or more.
    Not heavy, and must be able to focus down to 10m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You might find it difficult to locate a relatively high magnification scope that focuses down to 10m.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

clivej wrote: »
    I'm looking for peoples opinions on a scope for 10m - 50m target shooting.
    I'd prefer at least a 50mm objective and 6-24 zoom or more.
    Not heavy, and must be able to focus down to 10m

Your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Clive, I've spent almost two hours looking for a telescopic sight that

a. has 50mm objective lens.

b. has 6 - 24 magnification, and

c. focusses down to 10m.

Zero.

You might be able to do the close-up thang with a high-end, and I MEAN high-end tactical scope from Hensoldt at around $2600, but that only does 1.5 - 6. There's also a spiffy Leupold in the same vein for a little less, but that is still $2400.

I think that you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

The ranges that you are looking into are typically those of Red-Dot,Holographic/Eotech, territory rather than lensatic optics.

Sorry.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I'm just being nosey, but why the preference for the higher end mag at such a close distance (3-9 x 40mm set at 6x will easily show up .22 bullet holes in paper and with a fine reticle one hole them if you can do the biz).

When I read this first I thought all the gallery or bench rest lads would pile in, but I think Tac is on the right track if not a little pricey. If you forgo the specs your after a 'dangerous game scope' may be a worth a looksee....

An excerpt from Chuck Hawks ....

'Features shared by all of the scopes included in this comparison include one-piece 30mm main tubes, fast eyepiece focusing, German #4 (three post and crosshair) reticle with an illuminated center dot for visibility in very low light and a 1-point-something minimum magnification to maximize the field of view. With their straight main tubes (no objective bell), dangerous game scopes have plenty of mounting latitude and can be mounted low over the rifle's bore for fast acquisition in snap-shooting situations. Lens caps, or in the case of the Leupold a scope cover, are included.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

835407.jpg

Mueller Optics 8-32x44mm Target Riflescope

The side focus parallax adjustment is 10 yards to infinity.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-8-32x44mm-side-focus-fogproof-target-riflescope.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If you look on any of the air gunner sites you see they have a preference for side parallax high mag scopes with big objective lenses as seen in previous post.....but in my experience their a bitch to carry and unbalance a rifle such as a standard sporting .22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smandmars

Hawke Sidewinder. I use the 4-16x for competitions as it has a side AO adjustment from 9m to infinity. 50mm objective in the 4-16x, and 56mm objective in the 6-24 version. Works great for me.

I cant post URL links so you will have to google it..

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Bushnell Banner 6x18x50 is a good scope for the money, 10 to 50 m no bother, all of the field target scope will go down to 10m. I have the Banner good scope for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

smandmars wrote: »
    Hawke Sidewinder. I use the 4-16x for competitions as it has a side AO adjustment from 9m to infinity. 50mm objective in the 4-16x, and 56mm objective in the 6-24 version. Works great for me.

I cant post URL links so you will have to google it..

I'm using the 6-24x56 version myself on my 10/22, great scope so it is.
    But asking if there are any lighter scopes out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-6500/elite-6500-4-5-30-x-50mm

Maybe? 599g so saving a considerable bit of weight over your Sidewinder which is 844g apparently.

Doesn't come cheap though.

• Advertisement

Strider wrote: »

Maybe? 599g so saving a considerable bit of weight over your Sidewinder which is 844g apparently.

Yeah that was a scope I thought would do, but I'm not sure if it will focus down at 10m @6/8 zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Hawke Varmint 6.5-24 will give you down to 15m, is side parallax, and reasonably light, BUT only has a 44mm aperature, and the reticle is a little heavy for my taste. I have one there I'm not using if you want to try it out - I'll be in Tullamore for the next Bullseye shoot (and if I can make it I might take the spin out for the Topshot competition weekend after next too).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 1500ppc

It doesn't hit your maximum magnification requirement Clive but the Sightron 4-20 x50 weighs in at 674g and will focus down to 9yds. I have just got one and am very pleased with it. Lifetime warranty and Japanese glass and they are only around £480 Gwyn

Strider wrote: »

Yeah so I bought one of these today. It does focus down to 15m at 8 zoom and will be good at 10m. .
    I will have it next week and I'll get out with it ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    Clive, I've spent almost two hours looking for a telescopic sight that

a. has 50mm objective lens.

b. has 6 - 24 magnification, and

c. focusses down to 10m.

Zero.

You might be able to do the close-up thang with a high-end, and I MEAN high-end tactical scope from Hensoldt at around $2600, but that only does 1.5 - 6. There's also a spiffy Leupold in the same vein for a little less, but that is still $2400.

I think that you're looking for something that doesn't exist.

The ranges that you are looking into are typically those of Red-Dot,Holographic/Eotech, territory rather than lensatic optics.

Sorry.

tac

VORTEX STRIKE EAGLE !:)
    Costs about an eighth of those above brands and does the job just as well within those specs required.My mainstay scope these daysand does me for everything including the same type of comps and the OP shoots.It is designed for CQBranges and will,if you know what you are doing,out to 1000 meters. However NOPE! it doesnt go to those huge magnifications that Clive needs[?] 1to 6 power only.
    Can I ask Clive why do you need that sort of mag power?I mean that sort of range,you will be seeing the fibres on the bullet hole that the last shot hit in the paper?

OR
    You could get a piggy back type mount and have a long range glass with the mini holo sight mounted for the up close 10 meter shots? Depending on your gun they can be off set mounts on a picitinny rail or bolted onto some scopes.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Done & mounted. Bushnell Elite 6500, 4.5-32x50mm. Better mounts on the way

424007.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good job she isn't a top ejector, like many lever actions.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Good job she isn't a top ejector, like many lever actions.:)

And that's why a lot (most) of the shooters use the Marlin 1894.

Advertisement