Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac or not to iMac, that is the question !

Options
  • 23-07-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

My history with computers has always been with PC systems. but I always wanted to try an imac.

Offered the following.

Imac 21.5in
    Late 2013
    core i5 2.7ghz
    8gb ram
    1 tb drive

Price 635 in CEX..

I have ZERO idea what the value of imac are or if I can negotiate a discount with cex

So any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems reasonable value considering the 2nd hand value of it to begin with and the fact that CEX offer a 2 year warranty. You can't negotiate price with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

See if you can get someone with a Mac to give you a go of OS X to see if you like the feel. It's different to windows (although not by that much for standard users doing everyday tasks.)

Also - what will you use the computer for. Most likely any existing software you own will not work so you will need to buy new software for the mac. The selection is not as plentiful as for PC.

Having said all of the above macs are great to use and very slick so you could really enjoy the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Not sure of the value part, but I am using the exact same model iMac here. Go get it, you won't regret it.
    I have to use Windows all day at work and I have absolutely no qualms about recommending an iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Thank you guys, to answer some of the questions above..

USE will be for video production, not concerned about the IOS as I will be running a PC beside it until I come up to speed..

Any ideas on what the cost of it NEW would have been, and the general consensus is that the price quoted above is second hand value ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not positive but it would have been at least double that in 2013 I would imagine, iMac's are very expensive.

You do know that CEX only sell 2nd hand items? But it is a very good price, because CEX offer 24 month warranty on everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Not positive but it would have been at least double that in 2013 I would imagine, iMac's are very expensive.

You do know that CEX only sell 2nd hand items? But it is a very good price, because CEX offer 24 month warranty on everything.

Yes I knew that about cex, as I'm new to iMacs I had zero idea of the value, new or second hand. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

Stick an SSD into it and it'll fly

I'm doing up an old 2008 iMac and with 6GB of ram and an SSD, its flying it now.

And shockingly from CEX that price isn't bad so go for it!

Advertisement