Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone posted a picture of me on Facebook...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

myshirt wrote: »
    It's all over the country. "Give nana a kiss goodbye', "Give granddad a hug and tell him you'll see him later"

If the kid says no, the kid says no.

I agree but...

Nothing to do with this thread. Couldn't be more unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'd agree it's good to keep your privacy, but with so many people on social media sites it's quite difficult. If someone takes a photo of you on a night out, it's totally possible it could end up on Facebook or instagram.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Del2005 wrote:
    Message is the correct term. iMessage is the software used to transmit the message.

Pedantic much........

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

My sister's friend ended up on the cover of Now magazine about 10 years ago. In a bikini:eek:

Papz snapping some TV star and she was lounging near him. Collateral damage. She had a hat on so not immediately recognisable. She told everyone though - proud as punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If someone in the company took a photo and you're in the background at work then I don't think you can really ask them to take it down.
    Actually, you can. There is a reasonable expectation of privacy at work. If you are in a large employer, they may well have a policy on this. If you work for a multinational, there may well be 'no photography' signs around.

Either way, the OP certainly has the option to make a formal complaint in work. How this is treated depends a lot on the size and culture of the organisation.

But the first should be to ask the poster firmly to take it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

1. There are settings on the FB that you can set to disallow any tagging of images with your name/handle, activate it.
    It's worth having the time-wastage that is the 'ad-laden, lol-cats' FB just to avail of this feature.

2. Tell FB they're violating your privacy. You can get your house 'blurred' on googlemap-sv if you want, just tell them.

3. Last resort, tell them you consider yourself a celebrity (of sorts), and thus you are a trademarked persona, and any use of your image (all rights reserved) or name, is a copyright violation, requiring a 'model release' sign-off form and suitable fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OP I find it hard to believe that there are no other photos of you on Facebook.
    Every wedding, birthday party, or special occasion there are hundreds of photos taken, perhaps thousands in the case of weddings & upload to Facebook. Even out on the town at the weekend you're bound to have been photographed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ask the person politely to take it down and they probably will do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Are you working and claiming dole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Are you working and claiming dole?

That's the second time this has been asked. Is it so unusual for someone not to want photos of themselves posted online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Collie D wrote: »
    That's the second time this has been asked. Is it so unusual for someone not to want photos of themselves posted online?

No, but it's unusual to have such a violent reaction as the OP.
    Welfare or marital cheating are reasonable suspicions given the OPs anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would also be annoyed OP. Definitely ask them to take it down. It's an obnoxious thing to do - particularly if you didn't pose for a photo, so if it's unintentional then I'm sure he'll oblige. I'm as sure as I can be that no photos of me have appeared online since one around 12 years ago on bebo and I will try to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My two cents....
    Only a picture. It's hardly bloody the end of the world.

But as others say if it bothers you that much ask them to take it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would also be annoyed OP. Definitely ask them to take it down. It's an obnoxious thing to do - particularly if you didn't pose for a photo, so if it's unintentional then I'm sure he'll oblige. I'm as sure as I can be that no photos of me have appeared online since one around 12 years ago on bebo and I will try to keep it that way.

Ah, come on. If you're not posing for the photo then you're likely in the background of someone else's picture. If you're so sensitive about someone putting up a photo of themselves that you're in background of, maybe you should just stop leaving the house.

Different story if you're one of the main subjects of a photo that you weren't aware was being taken, of course. But those can be some of the best photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, come on. If you're not posing for the photo then you're likely in the background of someone else's picture. If you're so sensitive about someone putting up a photo of themselves that you're in background of, maybe you should just stop leaving the house.

Different story if you're one of the main subjects of a photo that you weren't aware was being taken, of course. But those can be some of the best photos.

I realise I'm in the minority these days but that's how I feel. I would be understanding if I ended up in the background of a pic accidentally but that's not what this sounds like. I don't attend social events so I find it easy enough to avoid pictures and I expect to be left alone by snap happy people at work.

I have found almost everyone respectful of my choice not to be photographed online. They may think I'm weird but I really don't care. Only two people ever have been difficult about it and they were arrogant, selfish people anyway so no surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Todd Gack wrote: »
    And how would you know how I feel or what I think based on one glib comment?

I don't. Which is why I stated so in the part of my comment which came after the bit you chose to quote. I gather you're joking, but the mentality expressed in your 'glib comment' is one that is held by a lot of folk.

It's not a dig at you, more a dig at the comment. It's something that doesn't sit right with me that in a time when we are all supposedly on board with positive mental health etc, that we* still can't accept that certain things that we find so routine cause serious distress for some folk - social media being one of those things

* by 'we' I mean humankind in general, not 'you'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Someone took my photo one time. Taxi driver turned up and told me I was on the front page of some facebook thing. Dunno. Haven't got that. Didn't concern me in the least though. It's me. Ye can see me walking down the road!

Then, it appeared in the Irish Times! Now, half the country's f**king seen me! :p I don't give a damn. It's a Fantastic photo! Really good work.

Beauty is, of course, only those as know me will know it's me. To everyone else, it'll remain some bloke. So, I don't worry about it :)

Stigura wrote: »
    Someone took my photo one time. Taxi driver turned up and told me I was on the front page of some facebook thing. Dunno. Haven't got that. Didn't concern me in the least though. It's me. Ye can see me walking down the road!

Then, it appeared in the Irish Times! Now, half the country's f**king seen me! :p I don't give a damn. It's a Fantastic photo! Really good work.

Beauty is, of course, only those as know me will know it's me. To everyone else, it'll remain some bloke. So, I don't worry about it :)

That's great and all, but the OP does mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you are in public space, there's not a lot you can do apart from asking the guy to take the picture down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ruxjit, you're kind of in the same boat as Mischa Barton, of whom an ex is trying to sell a sex tape of, to the highest bidder.

Also reminiscent of Howard Hughes, whose "friends" kept bugging him to leave his hotel room/floor.

You are very different however to vampires who do not show up in photographs and cast no reflection in mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Hate Facebook.. I don't understand the majority of people who are happy to share anything and everything with the world and they think I'm crazy for not having an account.

Boards is social, but nothing like Facebook. It's an anonymous discussion forum with many topics for people to read and post their opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Are you an undercover cop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Patww79 wrote: »
    Plenty of stalkers on here too. The types of perves who'll tell you something you posted about 6 months ago. Makes them work harder though.

Aye remember 6 months ago when you started a thread about hiring suits. That's the kinda perve were talking about ;)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057707712/1/#post102660382

Edit: No idea what happened to the spelling on that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

You need to get over yourself. I'm not on Facebook so if anyone posts pictures of me while I appear my name isn't there as they can't tag you if your not on Facebook. So I don't see what your problem is.

If you are in public space, there's not a lot you can do apart from asking the guy to take the picture down.

Most workplaces are not public spaces. Shops, offices, shopping centres are no public spaces, even if generally open to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You are free to take a photo in a public place. You are not free to publish it.

appledrop wrote: »
    So I don't see what your problem is.

Really? You can't? But .... the OP said EXACTLY what their problem was in their first post. Did you miss it?

Are Am Eye wrote: »

There is no law that prevents you publishing any photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

I completely agree with you OP, I'd be fooking livid. And if there is no law to prevent people posting your pic on line then what about some good manners like, 'hey Ruxjet, I've taken photo of you at work, do you mind if I post it on FB?'. At least you have a chance to give the thumbs up or down.

I was at a work mid summer BBQ this year that had a open bar so by 1.00 in the morning we were all many sheets to the wind. So we're out on the dance floor thinking we're all Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers and this stupid bint was recording people with her phone. I wanted to go over and shove it up her backside.

Nowadays you don't know what's going to end up where on line. I think it's very scary, but then I'm an old fuc ker.

CFlat wrote: »
    I completely agree with you OP, I'd be fooking livid. And if there is no law to prevent people posting your pic on line then what about some good manners like, 'hey Ruxjet, I've taken photo of you at work, do you mind if I post it on FB?'. At least you have a chance to give the thumbs up or down.

I was at a work mid summer BBQ this year that had a open bar so by 1.00 in the morning we were all many sheets to the wind. So we're out on the dance floor thinking we're all Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers and this stupid bint was recording people with her phone. I wanted to go over and shove it up her backside.

Nowadays you don't know what's going to end up where on line. I think it's very scary, but then I'm an old fuc ker.

Absolutely! 100% and as an aside to that, a secondary issue (besides the more important one of privacy) is that of the 30+ pictures these people take, the one they look best in goes right up, never mind if you're there in the background looking like the most disfigured version of yourself!

I know some of you are jesting, but it will happen (if it hasn't already somewhere) that a child will sue a parent for invasion of privacy or something mad like that, all because of a scan of them in the womb that was posted on FB or some video of them at their 1st birthday party shoving cake into their face or falling off a table. Quite a lot of children today make their FB debut before they even open their eyes. It's kind of sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

OP, is it a photo of you or is it a photo that you're in? It seems like an important distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Absolutely! 100% and as an aside to that, a secondary issue (besides the more important one of privacy) is that of the 30+ pictures these people take, the one they look best in goes right up, never mind if you're there in the background looking like the most disfigured version of yourself!

I know some of you are jesting, but it will happen (if it hasn't already somewhere) that a child will sue a parent for invasion of privacy or something mad like that, all because of a scan of them in the womb that was posted on FB or some video of them at their 1st birthday party shoving cake into their face or falling off a table. Quite a lot of children today make their FB debut before they even open their eyes. It's kind of sad.

In the occupiers home,all children under 18 are under parents consent which they give seeing as they can and as the taker of the photograph own all rights there would be zero chance a child could sue a parent for invasion of privacy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always find people who act like this are generally pathetic!

In the occupiers home,all children under 18 are under parents consent which they give seeing as they can and as the taker of the photograph own all rights there would be zero chance a child could sue a parent for invasion of privacy

The logical part of my brain agrees with you, but I don't know. Kids sueing McDonalds for making them fat seemed mad to me too. I'm not suggesting they would be successful claims, but I still reckon someone will try it whenever that demographic make it to 18/19

I always find people who act like this are generally pathetic!

People who act like what? People who post photos of others online or people who don't like others putting photos up of them?

People who act like what? People who post photos of others online or people who don't like others putting photos up of them?

People like the OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Very ignorant to post up someone else's picture without any consent sought.

Unfortunately there is a generation that gives this sort of thing not a first thought, never mind a second.

Perhapos the OP is just in the background, not the subject of the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Are Am Eye wrote: »

you've just made that up , haven't you?

https://www.digitalrights.ie/photographers-rights/
    Your Subject’s Rights

Can the subject of a photo prevent you from publishing it? Most of the caselaw in Ireland has centred on the misuse of celebrity images to imply an endorsement of a commercial good or service. This is dealt with by the courts, in general under the normal rules covering passing off. So, if the subject’s image might be worth money if used in an advertisement or as part of a product endorsement, they have a right to protect the income flowing from that, as a property right.

But what about the rest of the world, who don’t make their fortunes by assuring the world that, as Hollywood millionaires, they choose only the finest home-bottle hair-dyes to colour their hair? As the actor Gordon Kaye found out, when he was photographed by an interviewer whilst recovering from a serious head injury in hospital, there’s not much anyone can do to prevent you from publishing your photos. Provided your photographs are genuine, even if they would bring the subject down in the eyes of society, they’re not libellous.

People like the OP!

Right. And can I ask you, would you still feel the same if the OP was someone with an anxiety disorder who was genuinely in a state of panic and distress over the situation?

I am very much aware that we don't know if the OP is someone like that, but I'm just curious as to whether that would alter your opinion of "people like the OP"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ruxjit wrote: »
    And I'm ****ing fumin'about it. It's a only a pic of me at work, I'm not on Facebook or any other social media site and I like to keep it that way.

A friend of my sent me a screen shot by iMessage, ****ing raging now, I feel like calling round to the house of the tit that posted it, to tell him to take it down.

Would anyone else be annoyed by this?

Doesn't bother me in the slightest that they stuck your picture up op.

Right. And can I ask you, would you still feel the same if the OP was someone with an anxiety disorder who was genuinely in a state of panic and distress over the situation.

I am very much aware that we don't know if the OP is someone like that, but I'm just curious as to whether that would alter your opinion of "people like the OP"?

I am speaking from my experience about people who get a flap over their photo appearing online or in the newspaper.
    I always find that they just are whingers and pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I am speaking from my experience about people who get a flap over their photo appearing online or in the newspaper.
    I always find that they just are whingers and pathetic.

Okay, that's fair enough. Your experience of people who don't like their photo taken is as valid as mine. I too am speaking from experience which is why I asked. I guess without any further input from the OP we don't know which he/she is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

OP I do totally understand how you feel because I've felt like that before and quite a lot of people have. But really your reaction to it is a sign that you need to chill the **** out. If this is your reaction to this, how are you gonna cope when something that's actually serious happens to you in life?

No judgement, as I said I've reacted the same way before, but it woke me up to how uptight I was.

What if something like this happens again in the future? And again and again? Are you going to keep having a fit over it time and time again?

Btw I can't understand how some people who replied to this thread can't see the difference between the type of social media boards.ie is and the type of social media Facebook is. (Just being contrary for the sake of it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MsQuinn wrote: »
    My sister's friend ended up on the cover of Now magazine about 10 years ago. In a bikini:eek:

Pics or GTF....... Wait........:D

• Site Banned Posts: 28 ShmuckRyan

I'm not on Fakebook, never have and never will be. I know there's loads of pics of me on it but couldn't give a sh1t, more important things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Pic or GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I probably wouldn't lose the head over it, but I also don't like it. There are images of me for use in a stock image repository in the place I work, which I can't do anything about. By working here, I forfeit the right to ask for those images to be taken down/not used. That said, I'm not exactly attractive, so nobody is going to use those photos as stock. They're more likely to go, 'who on earth thought that was a good image to put in here?!' as I often do about so many others in that repository. But still, they're there.

I do think it's common courtesy to ask any identifiable parties in photos if it's okay to publish those photos online. I use Facebook and Snapchat, I frequently take pictures of things in public, but I'm careful not to have any identifiable people in them because that's the courtesy I would like extended to me. I also ask my partner/friends etc for permission after they've seen a picture before I post it anywhere online. But it's not something I consciously think about, it's just a habit of manners. Took a pic of my partner on Snapchat making a funny face at a meal out the other evening, showed him, he laughed, I said 'alright if I post this?' he said 'grand'. Done. Beyond that, meh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement