Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I'm very biased because I was always rooting against Lewis! But McCall and Rachman were both a good deal shorter than Lewis and they gave him the trouble. I think he was more comfortable with bigger guys. Could work out his timing better with them. Even Briggs caused him a few problems.

I've heard people refer to Atlas than see the clips myself but yea there must be something in that. I must dig out a few. Think I'll try to see the Ali programme tonight I recorded it last night.

He done a podcast with Joe Rogan not so long ago that was quite good,

Iv always liked Atlas so it was good to hear about his life,

Just on McCall and Rachman both where 6'2 so bit taller than Mike but both had over ten inch reach advantage on Mike ,
    Lennox only had 2 inchs in reach on them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Watched the documentary about Buster Douglas and Tyson last night. Amazing performance from Buster Douglas. I do feel that the count was long and he wasn't making it but to be fair he was listening to the numbers. He was 42/1. In that fight Douglas was just better than Tyson. He was properly trained and in shape and on the night was more than motivated which was questionable in other fights. Do you folks think that a rematch would have brought about a similar result?

Prime Tyson would've destroyed him in a couple of rounds but he had ditched Kevin Rooney by then and just became a straight out brawler who stood in front of people and was easy to hit.

Buster Douglas is the most knocked out heavyweight champion ever.

Mike Tyson is the 2nd.

The Nal wrote: »
    Prime Tyson would've destroyed him in a couple of rounds but he had ditched Kevin Rooney by then and just became a straight out brawler who stood in front of people and was easy to hit.

Buster Douglas is the most knocked out heavyweight champion ever.

Mike Tyson is the 2nd.

Wlad has been knocked out as many times as Mike,

Mikes record says 5 but in fact its only 4 he retired on the stool v MacBride he was not knocked out ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Mikes record says 5 but in fact its only 4 he retired on the stool v MacBride he was not knocked out ,

Tyson was washed up by about 32. Last two losses as well as the Lewis one he was a shadow of his former self. Wlad was at the top of his game until about 36/7

Tyson was washed up by about 32. Last two losses as well as the Lewis one he was a shadow of his former self. Wlad was at the top of his game until about 36/7

Also in recent memory Bruno was ko'd 5 times and Rahman 6 times both former world champs ,

I'm sure there are plenty more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Also in recent memory Bruno was ko'd 5 times and Rahman 6 times both former world champs ,

I'm sure there are plenty more

Actually Floyd Patterson was KO'd 5 times too. Seems "retired" counts as a KO.

Havent seen the documentary. Is it the "42 to 1" doc? Looks great. Is it available online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

isn't that a TKO.? Most knockouts in all boxing aren't actually knockouts, just stoppages.

isn't that a TKO.? Most knockouts in all boxing aren't actually knockouts, just stoppages.

It is technically but most TKo's are when some gets up and the ref waves it away,

He just decided he didn't want to fight anymore so a bit different in reality ,didn't he say something in the ring like if I can't knock out a bum like this out early what's the point ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I think we can all agree, Anthony Joshua is an overrated bum.

theballz wrote: »

That’s hilarious. I don’t agree and I don’t like him

• Advertisement

theballz wrote: »

Not his biggest fan but he can still beat any heavy weight on his day , He is most certainly still one of the top 3 heavy weights on the palent,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

;)
    This has already been discussed. AJ won 1,2 and 5 clearly enough. Ruiz won 3,4 and 6 putting him a point up with the extra knockdown in the 3rd.

It was all irrelevant in the end though as only half the 12 rounds were scored.

Just to add to that all 3 judges scored 5 rounds the same.
    The one who had AJ a point up gave him the 4th

joshua-ruiz-scorecard-official.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I don't see how he can correct this flaw, his lack of head movement has been a glaring weakness all along, he got away with it up until he faced someone who had the hand speed to get to him, and also the punch resistance to withstand his punches. Ruiz, after he was knocked down, had steady legs, he also took a big shot a few seconds after getting back. I think this indicates, even if Joshua stays behind the jab, Ruiz will able to take his punches and eventually lands on Joshua putting him in a world of trouble again.

I think he meant mentally

akelly02 wrote: »
    I think he meant mentally

Yep that’s it! It will be great to see a lit up Joshua against Ruiz. Risky fight

I see Fury latest comment on AJ,

"you can eat all the protein bars In the world ,when you get in there and get banged on the chin and sh*t yourself, it doesn't really help does it " ,

Love him or hate him you have to say the lad comes out with some golden quotes

I see Fury latest comment on AJ,

"you can eat all the protein bars In the world ,when you get in there and get banged on the chin and sh*t yourself, it doesn't really help does it " ,

That's fantastic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I don't think you even need to qualify it with that. Since he came back after battling his mental health problems, Tyson has gone up a lot in my opinion. I always liked the guy, but he's doing some good public service as well.

And he's funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Since he came back after battling his mental health problems, Tyson has gone up a lot in my opinion.

indeed, after that Joe Rogan interview he went way up in my appreciation

I was very surprised with his wit and intelligence after watching it

squawker wrote: »
    indeed, after that Joe Rogan interview he went way up in my appreciation

I was very surprised with his wit and intelligence after watching it

Tyson always been very very intelligent ,

He said some awful thing in his early years but that was to be outrageous and get publicity ,

Some of the stuff he said purposely to wind out Wlad about gay people was across the line but he claims to have done it to get in Wlad's head,

Ben Davis gave an interview the other day saying the longer fight week goes on the weirder things come up of Tyson mouth but because he gets bored of answering the same question so he just act the boll*x

His knowledge of boxing and break down of fighting styles is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I don't think you even need to qualify it with that. Since he came back after battling his mental health problems, Tyson has gone up a lot in my opinion. I always liked the guy, but he's doing some good public service as well.

And he's funny.

Mental health?

He was banned for taking roids

That's why he was off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Mental health?

That's why he was off

He just ate uncasterated wild boar hardly his fault.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Mental health?

That's why he was off

It wasn't actually , he failed a test in Feb 2015 and then went on to fight Wlad in November of 2015 .

Then didn't box again of his own accord

The ban was only dealt with by the commission in a hearing on December 12th 2017 and it was back dated two years so he was free to fight,

He was using the same defence that cyclist Alberto Contador used ,
    The commission knew they wouldn't win so purposely they kept putting the date of the hearing off , They also didn't like Fury as he had said some disparaging stuff about them ,

Fury couldn't fight till the hearing was heard, so when they eventfully had the hearing the commission proposed the ban to be backdated to save face and Fury accepted as he didn't want further hearing and a draw out legal battle keeping him away any longer,

So yes he got done but it didn't keep him out of the ring ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It wasn't actually , he failed a test in Feb 2015 and then went on to fight Wlad in November of 2015 .

Then didn't box again of his own accord

The ban was only dealt with by the commission in a hearing on December 12th 2017 and it was back dated two years so he was free to fight,

He was using the same defence that cyclist Alberto Contador used ,
    The commission knew they wouldn't win so purposely they kept putting the date of the hearing off , They also didn't like Fury as he had said some disparaging stuff about them ,

Fury couldn't fight till the hearing was heard, so when they eventfully had the hearing the commission proposed the ban to be backdated to save face and Fury accepted as he didn't want further hearing and a draw out legal battle keeping him away any longer,

So yes he got done but it didn't keep him out of the ring ,
    I thought he was caught for Nandrolone

I thought he was caught for Nandrolone

Yes he tested positive for it in Feb 2015, but the above is how the whole affair played out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Yes he tested positive for it in Feb 2015, but the above is how the whole affair played out

It's hard to give any fighter credit in the division. Doping is rife and the testing procedures are just tokenism.

Fury at 263. Pretty trim

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fury at 263. Pretty trim

He was 258 against Pianeta and 256 vs Wilder.

Surprised he has gone back up in weight not that it matters much vs Schwarz.

He was 258 against Pianeta and 256 vs Wilder.

Surprised he has gone back up in weight not that it matters much vs Schwarz.

If we’ve learned anything in the last fortnight ...

Any of you guys watch the What’s my Name docu? Thought it was excellent. Never realised how much better Frazier was in the first fight. Great highlights on it. Three years previously Ali would have destroyed him. I adore listening to Ali singing Stand by me as well. Remember the first time I heard it like it was yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I have never seen so much pre fight press/interviews and general content from a boxer than Fury for tonights. It's insane.

Advertisement