Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Gorman did very well to make it through that round. He’s offered very little.

What the hell had anyone tipping Gorman. He just got dismantled

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What the hell had anyone tipping Gorman. He just got dismantled

I'd love to know, because I had him. He shoulda been 20-1 going on that performance. Fúcking useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was really impressive from Dubois. Gorman should have at least been a tough fight for him but Dubois controlled that fight from beginning to end.

weemcd wrote: »
    I'd love to know, because I had him. He shoulda been 20-1 going on that performance. Fúcking useless.

All the talk about him being the boxer of the two was nonsense. Gorman wasn’t terrible but he’s levels below Dubois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think a lot of people may have been influenced by the Ruiz/AJ fight, in not being too quick to write the small guy again. But Dubois was much too big and powerful. Very loose on defence though and got caught a number of times. He always seems to be prepared to just slug it out and rely on his superior size and power to beat the opponent.

I think a lot of people may have been influenced by the Ruiz/AJ fight, in not being too quick to write the small guy again. But Dubois was much too big and powerful. Very loose on defence though and got caught a number of times. He always seems to be prepared to just slug it out and rely on his superior size and power to beat the opponent.

He used the jab much better too and stepped back to good effect. He seemed to have no respect for gormans power while Gorman fought the whole fight terrified. He didn’t turn up at all. Same outcome either way though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Happy with that. Dubois could be the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dubois really impressed me but at the same time Gorman disappointed. He looked terrified from the start to the point that he was afraid to use his jab for fear of eating a counter. Gorman ended up just throwing wild swing while looking away.
    Dubois could be the real deal but we’ll need a few more fights to find out.

Dubois really impressed me but at the same time Gorman disappointed. He looked terrified from the start to the point that he was afraid to use his jab for fear of eating a counter. Gorman ended up just throwing wild swing while looking away.
    Dubois could be the real deal but we’ll need a few more fights to find out.

This post makes a lot of sense to me. Gorman didn’t show up. Baby being born this week may not have been ideal for him. He needs to rebuild but I think there’s a bit in him. Problem is that at hw you need some measure of power to gain respect. Very few move like Fury. In addition to that Fury has the confidence to perform.
    Next match up for Dubois is interesting. Winner of Price and Allen would suit or Rivas if he loses to Whyte

• Advertisement

This post makes a lot of sense to me. Gorman didn’t show up. Baby being born this week may not have been ideal for him. He needs to rebuild but I think there’s a bit in him. Problem is that at hw you need some measure of power to gain respect. Very few move like Fury. In addition to that Fury has the confidence to perform.
    Next match up for Dubois is interesting. Winner of Price and Allen would suit or Rivas if he loses to Whyte

I think he should fight Joyce next. Joyce coming off a win over Jennings should be well ranked.
    Dubois will dismantle big Joe I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Fury is 6ft 9" too so that kinda helps him a lot.

I think he should fight Joyce next. Joyce coming off a win over Jennings should be well ranked.
    Dubois will dismantle big Joe I think.

That’s the thing Joyce will duck him. He has a route to charr and maybe on to an easy eliminator. He won’t risk that. Parker or Pulev or even povetkin might be possibilities

That’s the thing Joyce will duck him. He has a route to charr and maybe on to an easy eliminator. He won’t risk that. Parker or Pulev or even povetkin might be possibilities

Didn't realise that. Does Charr still hold that WBA 'regular' belt?

He should beat Charr, I'd say Jennings is a lot better than him.

Edit: just saw that Charr is fighting 'Interim' title holder Trevor Bryan next. Big Joe will have to wait in line!

Didn't realise that. Does Charr still hold that BA 'regular' belt?

He should beat Charr, I'd say Jennings is a lot better than him.

He was mentioned last night after Joyce had to be reminded of hw boxers out there. It’s a soft route he won’t want any part of Dubois but last night he was a clear winner so he’s knocking on the door in fairness

He was mentioned last night after Joyce had to be reminded of hw boxers out there. It’s a soft route he won’t want any part of Dubois but last night he was a clear winner so he’s knocking on the door in fairness

Charr vs Bryan apparently was agreed a few months ago.

https://www.boxingscene.com/manuel-charr-vs-trevor-bryan-agreement-reached--139465

Not sure but Joyce needs the right match ups.
    Looked at the Gorman ko againthere. He could’ve made that count. Very disappointing performance

Just thinking. If Joyce is cute about his next match up then he could well get a title fight before whyte would. Belt holders would fancy him. Could he beat pulev, povetkin or Parker?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Have to say I was surprised how bad Gorman was the weekend but fair play to Dubois he is a kid with a bright future,

Joyce surely has to look to make proper moves now, he is 35 and needs to get a belt or have a big fight,

Have to say I was surprised how bad Gorman was the weekend but fair play to Dubois he is a kid with a bright future,

Joyce surely has to look to make proper moves now, he is 35 and needs to get a belt or have a big fight,

Yea me too. He didn’t even try to use his jab or slip right hands. Froze. Was an easy enough win but Dubois allows himself to be hit too often. Big future ifbhe improves.

Jennings was a decent step up. If he beats one of those three I mentioned then he’s knocking on the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gorman was very disappointing. I got this one wrong. Dubois did well, but he needs to learn that at a higher level he needs to be a bit more elusive rather than relying solely on his power. Still he is only 21. I think he is good enough to be a serious challenge for fringe contenders within the next 18 months.

Gorman was very disappointing. I got this one wrong. Dubois did well, but he needs to learn that at a higher level he needs to be a bit more elusive rather than relying solely on his power. Still he is only 21. I think he is good enough to be a serious challenge for fringe contenders within the next 18 months.

I agree with your points. Not hard to get an odd one wrong! Like a stopped clock I got this one right!
    I think there was significant development on Dubois’ jab. In and out. He fought better than previously where he bludgeoned opponents. He will improve a lot more. Put him in with a guy as big or bigger than him who has no fear of him and well know more. Gorman declined for that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Think the idea that Dubois just relys on his power is a bit of a discredit to him. Used his jab, got some quick and effective combinations off for a fella so big and so inexperienced. Looks to be improving every fight. It'll fun to see how far he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gorman not bothering to use any footwork to get in close to land shots was just bizzare, its where his advantage lied with the quicker and cleaner feet ,
    Dubois jab looked very sharp so it possible he hit Gorman early and it frightend Gorman , fair play to Dubois and great to see a young fighter clearly improve

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am hoping Rivas gets the win this Saturday, but then we'll likely hear of a bad training camp or injury excuse from Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I am hoping Rivas gets the win this Saturday, but then we'll likely hear of a bad training camp or injury excuse from Whyte

Too small, not enough power, too slow, this one is going only one way.

Think the idea that Dubois just relys on his power is a bit of a discredit to him. Used his jab, got some quick and effective combinations off for a fella so big and so inexperienced. Looks to be improving every fight. It'll fun to see how far he gets.

Great post that

With his age taken into consideration I think he can go far. Just watched a documentary on frank bruno and Whyte. Bruno talked about too much too soon and I think that’s relevant here.
    The guys on punditry likened the fight to groves vs de gale but I think that’s bs. Reminded me more of enzo and haye.

Whyte weighed in at 259, way too heavy for him.
    Allen in at 241, his lightest for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't see it but wasn't Rivas being beaten by Jennings before getting the tko? The same Jennings that was well beaten by Joe Joyce? This is only going one way.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement