Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Pighead wrote: »
    Surely as a fan of boxing you should be delighted there's a rematch clause? I think most people would much prefer to see Ruiz fight Joshua again instead of a voluntary defence against some tomato can.

ok...i hear that....but i am talking in principle...in general, not just this specific instance.
    yes, you are correct thst this fight is one we'd all like to see. .....but, the fact that a losing boxers promoter can force a rematch with a title belt on line, after his man has been well beat, is wrong.
    let a rematch happen on its own merits...controversy, very close fight, public demand...but not forced solely by the losing boxers promoter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

dougm1970 wrote: »
    ok...i hear that....but i am talking in principle...in general, not just this specific instance.
    yes, you are correct thst this fight is one we'd all like to see. .....but, the fact that a losing boxers promoter can force a rematch with a title belt on line, after his man has been well beat, is wrong.
    let a rematch happen on its own merits...controversy, very close fight, public demand...but not forced solely by the losing boxers promoter.

I agree fully with you mate. A championship fight is basically 24 rounds no matter how the first 12 go is fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think a champion who has multiple defences but then gets beat deserves an opportunity for a rematch but I don't think he should get to dictate the venue and also it needs to done within 6 months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think a champion who has multiple defences but then gets beat deserves an opportunity for a rematch but I don't think he should get to dictate the venue and also it needs to done within 6 months.

Why though ? A rematch should only happen in special circumstances like contraversial split decisions or blood stoppage. As long as Klitschko was champion I thought an immediate rematch with Fury was ridiculous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I think if a guy beats a champion it’s more than reasonable that the champ gets to go again. If he’s better then he’ll win twice and is therefore a worthy champion. I would however argue that all rematch clauses are subject to 50/50 purses and the man with the belts should have more say on venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Vegas probably has not been mentioned as UFC is there in December.

It will be stupid if its in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Croke Park in Ireland would be sensational

ACAguy wrote: »
    Croke Park in Ireland would be sensational

For Joshua v Ruiz??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Joshua vs Ruiz rematch "confirmed" for Saudi Arabia December 7th.

Announcement to be made today apparently

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2019/08/09/exclusive-anthony-joshua-face-andy-ruiz-jr-saudi-arabia-december/

Will be some atmos there!

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Joshua vs Ruiz rematch "confirmed" for Saudi Arabia December 7th.

Announcement to be made today apparently

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2019/08/09/exclusive-anthony-joshua-face-andy-ruiz-jr-saudi-arabia-december/

So going to the states failed for AJ

Anyone else see this as Eddie getting one last huge payday out of AJ, he mustn't have much confidence in him to win ,

• Advertisement

So going to the states failed for AJ

Anyone else see this as Eddie getting one last huge payday out of AJ, he mustn't have much confidence in him to win ,

Regardless of what happens AJs brand is ruined in the states. Fell at the first hurdle to a bum. Irreversible perception. Dodged Wilder too. May as well cash in what he can get now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

The Nal wrote: »
    Regardless of what happens AJs brand is ruined in the states. Fell at the first hurdle to a bum. Irreversible perception. Dodged Wilder too. May as well cash in what he can get now.

I've said this before on this thread if Joshua gets beaten again by Ruiz his career is over. Hearn will walk away from him very quickly to find his next cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Only a couple of hours in time difference between here and Saudi Arabia so guessing they will box about 11pm over there which will be 9pm over here. That will keep Sky Sports happy. I'd say Eddie was offered an absolute shed load of money to bring it over there.

I've said this before on this thread if Joshua gets beaten again by Ruiz his career is over. Hearn will walk away from him very quickly to find his next cash cow.

I didn't think there was a chance he would lose but the manner of the defeat was damning. Americans thinking "Oh yeah another Brit heavyweight show us what you've got" etc and then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

hearn wont walk away....IF joshua continued after another defeat....he'd still have lots to milk from a big domestic clash or two

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

dougm1970 wrote: »
    hearn wont walk away....IF joshua continued after another defeat....he'd still have lots to milk from a big domestic clash or two

The hype circus surrounding Joshua hung on him not being defeated. That's already gone. A second loss to a relative unknown would be crushing and there's no way the brits will have the same level of interest in him. That mean's Hearn loses interest.

I actually think Joshua seems like a decent sort but he's fought so many average fighters for the last 4 yrs other than Klitschko it was impossible to tell if he was actually a really good heavyweight.

If he beats Ruiz in the 2nd fight i'll shut up and say fair play. If he loses he should retire.

Lads you’re far too quick to rule out aj those claims are ridiculous! At worse it’s a 50/50 fight for him. If he wins then he’s got the belts again and if he loses then he’s still a big name on anyone’s record so they’ll all want to fight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Should be a fascinating fight. The first fight I've watched a number of times for the sheer drama. It was amazing the way it all happened. The one thing that stuck with me though was how unbelievably fragile he looked when he was hit round the side of the head. Who knows if he had concussion or any of the other stories were valid, but he just looked extremely fragile.

Would love to see him against Wilder.

Should be a fascinating fight. The first fight I've watched a number of times for the sheer drama. It was amazing the way it all happened. The one thing that stuck with me though was how unbelievably fragile he looked when he was hit round the side of the head. Who knows if he had concussion or any of the other stories were valid, but he just looked extremely fragile.

Would love to see him against Wilder.

Because you think he’s fragile?? Lol

I agree with your take on it. He looked gassed even when he knocked Ruiz down. The first shot that scrambled him came blind and he didn’t recover from it. Ruiz broke him down very mature performance but this is a guy Parker beat (contentious as it was). My thinking is that he’s not that good and aj isn’t that bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

rowdy in saudi

• Advertisement

NeonWolf wrote: »
    rowdy in saudi

That’s fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I think Joshua will win the fight, probably quite easily.

Regardless though, his name is muck in the States now. Hard to see how he can recapture that.

skallywag wrote: »
    I think Joshua will win the fight, probably quite easily.

Regardless though, his name is muck in the States now. Hard to see how he can recapture that.

Suppose he wins this rematch then ko’s Wilder unifying the division. There’s the name sorted. It could happen like that.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Suppose he wins this rematch then ko’s Wilder unifying the division. There’s the name sorted. It could happen like that.

Agreed completely if he KO's Wilder.

That's a long way away now to be honest. I think his confidence is shattered.

skallywag wrote: »
    Agreed completely if he KO's Wilder.

That's a long way away now to be honest. I think his confidence is shattered.

It’s far too early to be saying that. He had an off night and came apart but the talk of him being shot is premature

It’s far too early to be saying that. He had an off night and came apart but the talk of him being shot is premature

Really strange night,
    I don't think he will ever be the same fighter,

If he got Ko'd with a lucky shot or a good t shot i'd say it can happen and he can bounce back , but AJ was beaten up badly

it looked like he was beaten by the better fighter unless he was extremely ill or something I can't see how he ever fully recovers his aura .

Of course he can still win fights but I see him getting beat again and more than once if he keeps fighting ,

Really strange night,
    I don't think he will ever be the same fighter,

If he got Ko'd with a lucky shot or a good t shot i'd say it can happen and he can bounce back , but AJ was beaten up badly

it looked like he was beaten by the better fighter unless he was extremely ill or something I can't see how he ever fully recovers his aura .

Of course he can still win fights but I see him getting beat again and more than once if he keeps fighting ,

I can see how you might be right and we’ll know soon enough. But I think AJ wasn’t right for that fight. As well as that he badly underestimated Ruiz before and during the fight. He thought he was going in for the kill and he got caught to the side of the head. He didn’t recover from that.

It reminded me a little of Joe Louis vs Max Schmelling. We’ll see how the rematch goes. I think AJ will jab ruiz’ head off

I agree with you, in general, and I am pretty sure he may win the rematch easily enough, and indeed more fights after in the UK, etc.

I think that where he may struggle though, psychologically more than anything else, is fighting again in the US.

I can see how you might be right and we’ll know soon enough. But I think AJ wasn’t right for that fight. As well as that he badly underestimated Ruiz before and during the fight. He thought he was going in for the kill and he got caught to the side of the head. He didn’t recover from that.

It reminded me a little of Joe Louis vs Max Schmelling. We’ll see how the rematch goes. I think AJ will jab ruiz’ head off

Joe Louis was kid when he first fought Schmelling,
    He was what 22 and Max was 31 , he done far better 2 year later when he had matured a little,

Aj may win and easy but I always think if your beat up in the ring in your prime it will happen again ,

• Advertisement

Joe Louis was kid when he first fought Schmelling,
    He was what 22 and Max was 31 , he done far better 2 year later when he had matured a little,

Aj may win and easy but I always think if your beat up in the ring in your prime it will happen again ,

Joshua will be 30 for this fight. Funny how times change. Ali was considered old at 32 when he beat Foreman.

Advertisement