Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Joshua will be 30 for this fight. Funny how times change. Ali was considered old at 32 when he beat Foreman.

Sports science and its advancements ,
    Guys know how to take care of themselves a lot better now and prolong there life span as top athletes , its the case in nearly all sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Still no news on the B sample

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Where's Walshb this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

All this talk of Joshua being shot or that his career is over if he loses again is ridiculous.

Regardless of whether he wins or loses he can still come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If he loses the rematch he'll have a tough road ahead just to get back to a world title shot and it's hard to train right in silk clothes. The man is a multi multi millionaire you'd have to wonder if the motivation is still there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If he loses the rematch he'll have a tough road ahead just to get back to a world title shot and it's hard to train right in silk clothes. The man is a multi multi millionaire you'd have to wonder if the motivation is still there.

If he loses it then there’s a chance the belts will be broken up and more boxers come into contention. He’s a massive payday for any of them. He’ll have no problem getting fights if he wants them. If he wins then the balls in his court. I think he wins with an 8/9th stoppage

mada82 wrote: »
    All this talk of Joshua being shot or that his career is over if he loses again is ridiculous.

Regardless of whether he wins or loses he can still come again.

it more of will he bother ?
    He is loaded and such a huge star its hard to see where he goes after a lose, He' d have to take a warm up fight one he wins with ease but would people bother going to see AJ against a nobody ? He'd lose his star power

When champions lose at lower weights they normally go for a easy target with a belt some times stepping up or going down in weight, Aj doesn't have that option he can't change division ,

If he does lose he'll have to wait for Ruiz to lose and if Ruiz does lose it'll be against a Wilder or Fury , and no doubt have rematch clause in his own contract so it'll be along road back to a title,

I'm not sure if AJ will stick around if he is not the A side number one guy

He has still fought and beat some good fighters.
    Kilt, Whyte, Povetkin. Parker.
    Losing to Ruiz doesn’t make him suddenly inferior.
    He will be still capable of beating other good fighters.
    If he loses he will probably fight someone like price or hughie and then step it up again.
    He will still be a big payday. Match room will play it right “road to redemption” or something along those lines.

it more of will he bother ?
    He is loaded and such a huge star its hard to see where he goes after a lose, He' d have to take a warm up fight one he wins with ease but would people bother going to see AJ against a nobody ? He'd lose his star power

When champions lose at lower weights they normally go for a easy target with a belt some times stepping up or going down in weight, Aj doesn't have that option he can't change division ,

If he does lose he'll have to wait for Ruiz to lose and if Ruiz does lose it'll be against a Wilder or Fury , and no doubt have rematch clause in his own contract so it'll be along road back to a title,

I'm not sure if AJ will stick around if he is not the A side number one guy

I'd tend to agree with this. He's absolutely loaded and why endanger his health fighting fodder in the hope that some day he'll get back on top. He's young and no doubt has fingers in one or two business ventures.

He has still fought and beat some good fighters.
    Kilt, Whyte, Povetkin. Parker.
    Losing to Ruiz doesn’t make him suddenly inferior.
    He will be still capable of beating other good fighters.
    If he loses he will probably fight someone like price or hughie and then step it up again.
    He will still be a big payday. Match room will play it right “road to redemption” or something along those lines.

Ye he has some really good wins and names, but you can argue about the timing.,

Kilt was what 40 ,coming off two year retirement and a loss in his previous bout,
    Whyte was very very green at that stage, Be a good scrap now even though I don't rate Whyte
    AVP was 39 and off the Jesus juice,
    Parker was never that good ,I felt Hughie Fury beat him ,

If he losses again to Ruiz he has zero chance against Wilder or Fury ,

Its more to do with his profile, he won't be a journey man fighter he star status is to big I think he will walk away if he losses, again more to do with his Star name, losses do not look good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought he did well in the first couple of rounds and then rushed trying to KO Ruiz which led to him getting knocked down.

He didn't seem to know what to do then.

If he can repeat what he did in the first few rounds and stay disciplined about it I don't see why he can't win the rematch.

Does anyone else think that the big size difference actually worked against AJ in the end?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I thought he did well in the first couple of rounds and then rushed trying to KO Ruiz which led to him getting knocked down.

He didn't seem to know what to do then.

If he can repeat what he did in the first few rounds and stay disciplined about it I don't see why he can't win the rematch.

Does anyone else think that the big size difference actually worked against AJ in the end?

Ye spot on I reckon he tries to make it look like the Parker fight and fight from a distance for 12 rounds, and won't go for the Ko unless its right there for him ,
    I seen an interview where he said at the end of the second round the crowd where booing ,it was for a fight in the stand but AJ thought it was the fight itself so he felt pressure to go out and take Ruiz out ,
    Also the fact Wilder won in one round the previous week played on his mind

Ye he has some really good wins and names, but you can argue about the timing.,

Kilt was what 40 ,coming off two year retirement and a loss in his previous bout,
    Whyte was very very green at that stage, Be a good scrap now even though I don't rate Whyte
    AVP was 39 and off the Jesus juice,
    Parker was never that good ,I felt Hughie Fury beat him ,

If he losses again to Ruiz he has zero chance against Wilder or Fury ,

Its more to do with his profile, he won't be a journey man fighter he star status is to big I think he will walk away if he losses, again more to do with his Star name, losses do not look good

You can do that with most fighters records.
    Fury beat a kilt that looked shot against Jennings. He drew with a wilder who has never beaten a top fighter etc.
    Wilder hasn’t beaten anyone. Ortiz is his best win yet he hasn’t beaten a top name himself. See where I’m going?

I think Joshua has the best resume in the division and 2 loses against Ruiz isn’t the end of him.

Plenty of fighters lose fights and come again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

oliver mccall still an active heavyweight at 54...won his last couple of fights..fought this year.
    made his pro debut in 1985 !!....even fought larry holmes for a world title...and won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

dougm1970 wrote: »
    oliver mccall still an active heavyweight at 54...won his last couple of fights..fought this year.
    made his pro debut in 1985 !!....even fought larry holmes for a world title...and won.

I think he must be the only man to avenge the loss of his son.

You can do that with most fighters records.
    Fury beat a kilt that looked shot against Jennings. He drew with a wilder who has never beaten a top fighter etc.
    Wilder hasn’t beaten anyone. Ortiz is his best win yet he hasn’t beaten a top name himself. See where I’m going?

I think Joshua has the best resume in the division and 2 loses against Ruiz isn’t the end of him.

Plenty of fighters lose fights and come again.

I agree with what your saying to be fair you can pick wholes in a lot of records,

I also agree that fighters can lose and come again but I just feel AJ from the off is more about the name , the star power and money than love of boxing

I'm not saying he has nothing to give as a fighter of course he has but its more like I think there's a chance he will just decide he has done enough and made enough cash from boxing,

That’s fair enough. Maybe he’ll choose to bow out. A few posters seemed to be implying that once you lose that’s it. I don’t agree with that.

Kilt being a great example. Took some really bad defeats but still managed to come back and dominate for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ruiz saying now its not on in Saudi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ruiz saying now its not on in Saudi.

where you seeing this?, link?

I was looking forward to The Jihad in Riyadh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I read somewhere the other day that Ruiz said he signed nothing yet.
    Can't remember where but thought no more about it as Eddie made it seem like it was a donedeal in the interviews.
    Sticking to his guns so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

this is going to get dragged out, wouldnt surpirse me if it goes to the courts.

Saw Ruiz on a plane saying its in atlantic city.

TBH he signed the deal so shouldn't have a say, since he has got money his humbleness is gone, trying to call the shots when on 31st of May he was a virtual nobody.

At least Joshua grew to be a bit of a dope... this fella took 2 weeks to become one

fitzparker wrote: »
    this is going to get dragged out, wouldnt surpirse me if it goes to the courts.

Saw Ruiz on a plane saying its in atlantic city.

TBH he signed the deal so shouldn't have a say, since he has got money his humbleness is gone, trying to call the shots when on 31st of May he was a virtual nobody.

At least Joshua grew to be a bit of a dope... this fella took 2 weeks to become one

You would have to wonder if it was in black and white in the contract about who gets to chose the Venue,
    It's strange that Ruiz is so adamant he gets to chose ,

You never know Ruiz could have well signed the contract and have every intent in fighting in Saudi but just putting all this out there to mess with AJ head and leave him guessing to what's really going on ,

Personally I think if there is a rematch In the contract whoever ends up champ should have the choice of Venue,

It actually annoys me on the poster released it has AJ's name first and AJ picture on the left hand side, Ruiz is the MAN now he deserves to be treated like it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ruiz is playing a blinder, backing Hearn and AJ into a corner. They may have the rematch clause and resulting contractual obligation, but they don't want a long legal battle or the optics of AJ being afraid to fight or unwilling/unable to avenge what is a huge black mark on his record. Particularly with Wilder, Fury, Usyk all on the scene.

AJ needs to avenge the loss, and needs his belts back. Quickly. If that means fighting in Jersey, he may choose to do so over a long legal battle.

Not doing it again in America is chickenshít behaviour.

"Oh no now we fight on our patch, where we're comfortable".

Saudi Arabia?!

Matchroom would want to turn this around asap. These negotiations are making AJ look worse than the loss did. Irreversible damage.

Whatever the result of the rematch Joshua won’t retire that’s insane talk. The invincibility layer is off but he’s looked vulnerable before. Almost everything went wrong for him on the night against Ruiz. He will be much better next day out. He will have focus. He will care about getting the job done not doing it in style.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Whatever the result of the rematch Joshua won’t retire that’s insane talk. The invincibility layer is off but he’s looked vulnerable before. Almost everything went wrong for him on the night against Ruiz. He will be much better next day out. He will have focus. He will care about getting the job done not doing it in style.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if he gets ko'd and walks away , Not because he can't win titles but because he doesn't need to box ,

But I also agree he will fight ultra caution at the end of his jab , I think it'll be like the parker fight ,Ref might have a big part to play .,

Hearn is taking a chance with Saudi , Every comment on Twitter or instagram seems to be negative from fans ,
    if Whyte B test is positive he will be getting loads of flak and now this on top does not look good for match room

I personally wouldn't be surprised if he gets ko'd and walks away , Not because he can't win titles but because he doesn't need to box ,

But I also agree he will fight ultra caution at the end of his jab , I think it'll be like the parker fight ,Ref might have a big part to play .,

Hearn is taking a chance with Saudi , Every comment on Twitter or instagram seems to be negative from fans ,
    if Whyte B test is positive he will be getting loads of flak and now this on top does not look good for match room

Ruiz is no all time great. There are lots of ways Joshua can win the rematch. He needs to use his jab and avoid getting stuck in a brawl. He can’t fight timid but he can’t open up either

In any case, if AJ were to retire then what’s there for him; a lifetime of what if. Whatever else the man is he is a fighter.

Your take on matchroom for me is spot on.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Ruiz is no all time great. There are lots of ways Joshua can win the rematch. He needs to use his jab and avoid getting stuck in a brawl. He can’t fight timid but he can’t open up either

In any case, if AJ were to retire then what’s there for him; a lifetime of what if. Whatever else the man is he is a fighter.

Your take on matchroom for me is spot on.

I agree on Ruiz I think he gets beat easy by Wilder or Fury just styles make fights ,

I just think AJ stardom transcends boxing ,He will make money now no matter what he does , Again im not saying he can not be successful in boxing of course he can even if he loses but i'v a feeling if he is ko'd he mite hang them up .,

• Advertisement

I agree on Ruiz I think he gets beat easy by Wilder or Fury just styles make fights ,

I just think AJ stardom transcends boxing ,He will make money now no matter what he does , Again im not saying he can not be successful in boxing of course he can even if he loses but i'v a feeling if he is ko'd he mite hang them up .,

If he retires before fighting Fury or Wilder his career will have been a huge disappointment. He needs to take a leaf out of McGregors book and at least offer to fight in Mexico or in America to properly avenge his loss. Thats how to build a brand in America. Balls out. Hes looking like a do nothing puppet coward at the moment.

He has lost a huge amount of respect.

Advertisement