Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    If he retires before fighting Fury or Wilder his career will have been a huge disappointment. He needs to take a leaf out of McGregors book and at least offer to fight in Mexico or in America to properly avenge his loss. Thats how to build a brand in America. Balls out. Hes looking like a do nothing puppet coward at the moment.

He has lost a huge amount of respect.

I got to say I find it crazy that he didn't demand the rematch in the states to right the wrong ,

In my view it says a lot about his mind set,
    He never really wanted to go to America always said he didn't have to , then out of no where he was going to conquer the states gets beat and is afraid to go back,

Look at Fury for all his faults gets absolutely robbed of the dream come back that would have went down in the history books but doesn't demand the rematch in the England no he is happy to go back to the states to correct it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got to say I find it crazy that he didn't demand the rematch in the states to right the wrong ,

Yep. Even if he annihilates Ruiz in a round in Saudi it'll have an asterisk beside it. As will his career. Amazing that Matchroom don't understand the gravity of this rematch and how they go about their daily business.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. Even if he annihilates Ruiz in a round in Saudi it'll have an asterisk beside it. As will his career. Amazing that Matchroom don't understand the gravity of this rematch and how they go about their daily business.

Its all about the cash for matchroom ,

Eddie said the money is not that much more and its more about the opportunity
    who is he kidding there building an area just for the fight, the money involved must be astronomical

its 100% about the money in this one

Its all about the cash for matchroom ,

Eddie said the money is not that much more and its more about the opportunity
    who is he kidding there building an area just for the fight, the money involved must be astronomical

its 100% about the money in this one

As boxing should to be fair. They're risking their health and lives doing it but its a short term view considering what they could be earning across 4 or 5 fights in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

But I also agree he will fight ultra caution at the end of his jab , I think it'll be like the parker fight ,Ref might have a big part to play .,

Not sure he has the boxing IQ to go and just jab and more, he's not exactly Tyson Fury.

Ruiz had fast hands and put combinations together something AJ hadn't seen before. AJ will need a good camp to prepare him and even at that as you say there will be an asterix beside the win.
    Ruiz knows he can hurt him and knows how to draw him in. AJ will need to lay him out and hope he doesn't get off the canvas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Not sure he has the boxing IQ to go and just jab and more, he's not exactly Tyson Fury.

Ruiz had fast hands and put combinations together something AJ hadn't seen before. AJ will need a good camp to prepare him and even at that as you say there will be an asterix beside the win.
    Ruiz knows he can hurt him and knows how to draw him in. AJ will need to lay him out and hope he doesn't get off the canvas.

He managed to do it against Parker , he stuck to the game plan and stayed well behind the jab,

Should be a very interesting fight on how each approach it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

He managed to do it against Parker , he stuck to the game plan and stayed well behind the jab,

Should be a very interesting fight on how each approach it ,

That said, Parker was running almost all of that fight. Joshua will have a very different plan this time around. He knows he can hurt Ruiz too

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I’ve never heard anything like some of the stuff being posted here.
    If AJ wins there is no asterex beside it because it wasn’t in the US.
    Did Lewis rematch win against Rahman not count because it wasn’t in Africa or wherever the first fight was?
    If he wins he moves on. I’m sure he will have future fights in the US anyway.

mada82 wrote: »
    Did Lewis rematch win against Rahman not count because it wasn’t in Africa or wherever the first fight was?

Sense at last

mada82 wrote: »

I agree there is no asterex a win is a win but its not good for his brand state side that he didn't just do the rematch there,

AJ has all the tools to win and go on to big fights , but I think it'll be very interesting if he loses as to what happens then, I have him as favourite n the rematch so we may never now

• Advertisement

I agree there is no asterex a win is a win but its not good for his brand state side that he didn't just do the rematch there,

AJ has all the tools to win and go on to big fights , but I think it'll be very interesting if he loses as to what happens then, I have him as favourite n the rematch so we may never now

If he wins the rematch and looks good doing so then it doesn’t matter if it happens on the moon. He will have the belts and can fight away state side. Andy is good but I think he’s in the middle of his 15 mins

Disagree lads. It was his first fight in the US. The US are giving it the billy big bollocks with Wilder. Fury massively respected over there now.

AJ ducking a US rematch may not seem as big to us but it is in the states. Lewis had fought many times as champion in the US before he lost to Rahman.

Like it or not, America is the home of HW boxing.

On that note - https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/587490/lennox-lewi****s-back-anthony-joshua-clown/

Nice to see a bit of smack talk from AJ. More of that needed.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    If he wins the rematch and looks good doing so then it doesn’t matter if it happens on the moon. He will have the belts and can fight away state side. Andy is good but I think he’s in the middle of his 15 mins

Ye he could well go state side again but surely you can understands when people ask why not just do it for the rematch , why not write that wrong ,

Is it purely from a promoter money side, in England they can fill out a 100,000 seater stadium ,in Saudi you get that oil money , Is the US as lucrative in the short term ?

Or is it the AJ doesn't want to which would be worrisome,

Andy isn't top 5 in my eyes but makes it all the worse for AJ as he beat him up, it wasn't a lucky punch or anything he just beat him up .

Ye he could well go state side again but surely you can understands when people ask why not just do it for the rematch , why not write that wrong ,

Is it purely from a promoter money side, in England they can fill out a 100,000 seater stadium ,in Saudi you get that oil money , Is the US as lucrative in the short term ?

Or is it the AJ doesn't want to which would be worrisome,

Andy isn't top 5 in my eyes but makes it all the worse for AJ as he beat him up, it wasn't a lucky punch or anything he just beat him up .

Joshua took him far too lightly but one punch changed that fight too. AJ had no resistance after that and pepper punches knocked him down although Ruiz did throw good combos

Joshua took him far too lightly but one punch changed that fight too. AJ had no resistance after that and pepper punches knocked him down although Ruiz did throw good combos

Im not so sure he seems to find his feet again and won round 5 , then feell to pieces again
    The rematch will tell us if its one punch or a better fighter ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Im not so sure he seems to find his feet again and won round 5 , then feell to pieces again
    The rematch will tell us if its one punch or a better fighter ,

pardon the pun..but you're dead right.

One thing we can all agree on is that it’s great the heavyweight division has some excitement in it.

We just need the big 3 to all fight each other.

Just did a little research and watched the Joshua Ruiz fight followed by the Parker Ruiz fight. Ruiz has fantastic hand speed he really does. Stamina is amazingly good. He always gets a shot in too and he’s mean to the body. I don’t think Ruiz was robbed against Parker btw.
    So Ruiz gives anyone trouble and AJ will have to fight a very different fight to win back his belts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

AJs true personality coming out now,and like dillian whyte said hes a scumbag with a fake humble persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Im not his biggest fan but AJ can't win with fans... he says nothing he needs more smack talk, he tries a bit and he needs to be more humble.

AJ lost graciously and gave Ruis respect after it, Ruiz gets a few bob and thinks he is billy big bollox, yet nobody questions ruiz personality? .

Yeah I know the interview is about Lewis but the above winds me up.

• Advertisement

fitzparker wrote: »
    Im not his biggest fan but AJ can't win with fans... he says nothing he needs more smack talk, he tries a bit and he needs to be more humble.

AJ lost graciously and gave Ruis respect after it, Ruiz gets a few bob and thinks he is billy big bollox, yet nobody questions ruiz personality? .

Yeah I know the interview is about Lewis but the above winds me up.

I’ve no problem with this post. I’m not an AJ fan butbin this case what’s he meant to do. Lennox is stirring **** criticizing this trainer so he’s biting.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    AJs true personality coming out now,and like dillian whyte said hes a scumbag with a fake humble persona.

i'd well believe it sure look at Dillian Whyte himself he seen it was working for Aj and has totally reinvented himself for SKY same as Bellew ,

Fair play to them the realise being nice is actually a better way to live and its making them more money ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

whyte is still himself i feel, says it as it is and comes across well and likable in my opinion. Joshua is arrogant and fake as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone watching the AJ interview on Sky sports.
    Can't help but think he's not being 100% honest with his answers

Panthro wrote: »
    Anyone watching the AJ interview on Sky sports.
    Can't help but think he's not being 100% honest with his answers

He just talks in riddles. Too busy trying to come across intelligent. He’s not that bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Not a fan a lennox!

Panthro wrote: »
    Not a fan a lennox!

She should have got him to talk more on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I thought Anna Woolhouse did a really good interview, I half expected hearn to write the questions for her, but she seemed to ask everything that everyone was asking.

Some of the questions she asked AJ paused to come up with something intelligent but instead it made it look like she caught him out.

Saw something from Tyson Fury suggesting that Ruiz is doing little or no training for the rematch

• Advertisement

Saw something from Tyson Fury suggesting that Ruiz is doing little or no training for the rematch

Never go full Buster Douglas.

Advertisement