Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So having the rematch in SA is thinking of the fans:
    Him spitting out his dummy because of Lennox's comments is a glimpse of who he really is, rather than pr persona we see since he teamed up with sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

So having the rematch in SA is thinking of the fans:
    Him spitting out his dummy because of Lennox's comments is a glimpse of who he really is, rather than pr persona we see since he teamed up with sky

What did Lennox say about AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What did Lennox say about AJ?

"I can’t look at that fight and agree that AJ was fully prepared"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aj does himself no favours getting prickly about the slightest of slights. That’s distraction. I think he will beat Ruiz in the rematch but it’ll take him to produce his best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fury fighting another waster, if you take Wlad and Wilder out of his record it looks very ordinary. I've actually been warming to him lately for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Fury fighting another waster, if you take Wlad and Wilder out of his record it looks very ordinary. I've actually been warming to him lately for some reason.

Sure take Liverpools Champo League win and 97 points out of it and they had a poor season. I get what you are saying but you can't discount those two bouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Once he signed the new tv deal this was always going to happen, They wanted to give him a couple of gimme fights to get his name and stock up in the states before he fights Wilder again early next year,

I reckon once he fights Wilder it'll be top names and top names only,

Lets be fair after the weight gain and time he took off its probably best for everyone, lets us fans see Fury fighting the top guys in the best possible condition , Hate when top guys fight but there question marks over one of them ,For instance AJ v Wlad Aj will never get full credit for that win due to Wlad being retired and jumping straight in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Sure take Liverpools Champo League win and 97 points out of it and they had a poor season. I get what you are saying but you can't discount those two bouts.

Indeed. Many greats have cemented their greatness by winning two or three fights/beating two or three fighters or even excellent performance against other top fighters of the era. Lennox Lewis and Steve Collins come to mind.

More than Mike Tyson ever did for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Fury fighting another waster.

he is keeping busy and will get plenty of $$$$ for fighting a waster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Ruiz vs Joshua 2 confirmed for Saudi Arabia in December.

• Advertisement

Ruiz vs Joshua 2 confirmed for Saudi Arabia in December.

Plenty of bull**** surrounding this one

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone see the sky interveiw whats with Boxers these days trying there best to sound like some kind of council estate profits , i guess its the times we live in its like ever personal trainer is a wannbe life and mental health coach , Its luaghable

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Anyone see the sky interveiw whats with Boxers these days trying there best to sound like some kind of council estate profits , i guess its the times we live in its like ever personal trainer is a wannbe life and mental health coach , Its luaghable

Couldn’t agree more. My Facebook feed is full of PT’s or people who have got really fit thinking that now makes them deep thinking philosophers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If AJ wins in Saudi with Ruiz get a rematch? Unlikely I'd say.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If AJ wins in Saudi with Ruiz get a rematch? Unlikely I'd say.

Since Ruiz most likely wouldn't have a rematch clause in his favour should he lose the answer to that is I'd imagine a no.

That said if AJ were to win handy enough I'd see them giving Ruiz a 3rd fight in a year or two and selling the whole trilogy spiel. Provided AJ could hold onto his belts that long.

Anybody watching hughie and povetkin? I think hughie will take it

I just don’t rate Hughie. It’s hard to see how he beats pov

mada82 wrote: »
    I just don’t rate Hughie. It’s hard to see how he beats pov

Impressive first round from Hughie

Nice to see hughie out 6 weeks after his last fight.

Decent enough fight a bit damp but very even for me

• Advertisement

Good chin as always from hughie but get the feeling he hasn't done enough.

Good chin as always from hughie but get the feeling he hasn't done enough.

I agree unfortunately for him I think he came in with a good plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Great from povetkin, you can see he knocked the drugs on the head and is all the better for it, some of the best boxing of his career at 40 years of age.

I don't know where Hughie goes from here.
    He's just a level below the top guys.

He's talented and has a good chin and engine but just not urgent enough and not a big enough punch.

He keeps making the same mistake of not imposing himself enough to win fights against the better guys.

That was very wide but Povetkin did the cleaner work. At 24 hughie has a future I think people are far too harsh on him

Hughie looked better tonight than I’ve seen him before.
    He’s still got 6 years before he even hits 30. Plenty of time to improve.

Still no word on Dillian Whyte’s B sample.

Pretty disgraceful but no unexpected the way it has gone on. Brushed under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Povetkin was in serious nick last night, didn't seem to slow down at all as the match went on. Got a great reception from the crowd despite beating one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Hughie has mixed it with some decent fighters at 24 and has just come up slightly short. He has plenty of time to improve and win a belt in a few years time. Someone on Twitter earlier said Hughie was an early starter therefore his peak would come a little sooner, and I think they're right. Next year or so is crucial in his development, needs the right fights and wins to get the confidence up whilst trying new things. I dare say the level of competition isn't *that* important, it's more about letting the hands go and punishing opponents mistakes to assert himself more. Then applying that against the better fighters. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Whyte seems to have gone very quiet. I suppose Eddie Hearn will say a process has to take place, but is confident once we hear the full story Whyte will be vindicated.

Advertisement