Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Whyte seems to have gone very quiet. I suppose Eddie Hearn will say a process has to take place, but is confident once we hear the full story Whyte will be vindicated.

UKAD will give up the case because they have no money to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

The big disappointment fir Whyte is that he can’t make noise about getting the wilder fight until this blows over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Fair play to Derek Chisora in the below, he is 100% right aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LukFwd

None of it should be PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

fitzparker wrote: »
    Fair play to Derek Chisora in the below, he is 100% right aswell

Sad sad state of affairs when this has-been plodder is still commanding a payday....

Parker ain't much better...

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Sad sad state of affairs when this has-been plodder is still commanding a payday....

Parker ain't much better...

Hooray! You’re back! You’ve been missed on this thread. I knew instantly this post had to be from WB 😂
    Totally agree, but Chisora does have a following and demolishedSpilka

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hooray! You’re back! You’ve been missed on this thread. I knew instantly this post had to be from WB ��
    Totally agree, but Chisora does have a following and demolishedSpilka

A birra' Tyson Fury bashing now should stir things up here!

Him and the other drugs cheat, Whyte!

LukFwd wrote: »
    None of it should be PPV

Agreed. Josh fooking Taylor? Who is this lad? Has fought absolutely nobody...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Welcome back WB
    It shouldnt be pay per veiw at all but to fair Derek is right this time , its only pay per veiw because of the two big men ,

Welcome back WB
    It shouldnt be pay per veiw at all but to fair Derek is right this time , its only pay per veiw because of the two big men ,

Maybe,

But I always go back to Frankie Gavin v Kell Brook.....

No big men selling that if I recall

Bellew-Cleverly II another one......

Sport is dirt at times with some of these hyped up sham shows...

• Advertisement

Welcome back WB

Yes, but his rant was the top billing aspect.

Top billing for two useless HWs, one more useless than the other....:rolleyes:

And we all know his "rant" was utterly stage managed contrived sh1t. He's a grade A wan*bag!

As weak as the SLW division is, at least it's for a trophy!

I’d pay more ppv to listen to WB cutting through the sh1t than to watch those two jokers
    I was at the Whyte Rivas card and Chisora does create a good atmosphere in London
    Can’t wait for the Fury debate 🙈

I’d pay more ppv to listen to WB cutting through the sh1t than to watch those two jokers
    I was at the Whyte Rivas card and Chisora does create a good atmosphere in London
    Can’t wait for the Fury debate ��

I don't know, it seems the world is just so used to putting up with and accepting this ridiculous bland mediocrity...or hyping the bejaysus out of people for the least thing...

You then get accused of being a contrarian for questioning it............:o

I'll shut up now....

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Parker top 10 heavyweight in world. Fighting Brit in London. Can see winner fight Usyk.

Taylor prograis massive fight. Taylor wins he will sign with Matchroom and become a star.

ACAguy wrote: »

Taylor prograis massive fight. Taylor wins he will sign with Matchroom and become a star.

This is part of the hyped nonsense around today...

Will he have to earn his star, or will he just be a star for beating Prograis and signing with Eddie

I remember when the term star truly meant something....

To bring in a regular poster here, MorrisonJ (very good poster, may I add), he made a similar claim about Michael Conlan, only he claimed he'd be a superstar; this, before MC had even thrown a punch. Here we are almost three years later, waiting for some decent punches to be thrown....

Am I a bt too harsh here? Or am I right to have expectations...

What everyone's opinion of the opponent for Usyk ,

Iv seen Sprog fight a bunch of times in Kickboxing a couple in person and the guy is capable of knocking anyone out, he has nasty power

Its a shame he had such a nasty leg break was he was heading to the UFC and i reckon he would have had some great fights there,

I guess after the break he was clever to leave the kicking in his past and go into Pro boxing but not so sure if he'll have the same success,

Will he have to earn his star, or will he just be a star for beating Prograis and signing with Eddie

To bring in a regular poster here, MorrisonJ (very good poster, may I add), he made a similar claim about Michael Conlan, only he claimed he'd be a superstar; this, before MC had even thrown a punch. Here we are almost three years later, waiting for some decent punches to be thrown....

I agree to many "star's" these days not worth there salt,
    Look what Eddie has done for guys like Bellew and Whyte built such nonsense hype , Eddie made them guys made more cash than there talent could ever have got them alone,

I'm with you on this. Mediocrity is celebrated far too often. I'd consider Lomachenko to be a superstar - someone who will be remembered in years to come. A star at the moment might be Thurman or Porter. But if you have a world title belt then that's a good place to start on what star quality is.

I'm with you on this. Mediocrity is celebrated far too often. I'd consider Lomachenko to be a superstar - someone who will be remembered in years to come. A star at the moment might be Thurman or Porter. But if you have a world title belt then that's a good place to start on what star quality is.

Verdict still out on Loma.

Superstar is the likes of Manny or Floyd..

Longevity, dominance, weight jumps and global recognition; as well as serious challenges and signature fights.

Loma’s record is decent. No exceptional, or close to exceptional opponents...

He’s very good, but needs higher caliber opposition to cement his legacy..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Iv seen Sprog fight a bunch of times in Kickboxing a couple in person and the guy is capable of knocking anyone out, he has nasty power

Its a shame he had such a nasty leg break was he was heading to the UFC and i reckon he would have had some great fights there,

I guess after the break he was clever to leave the kicking in his past and go into Pro boxing but not so sure if he'll have the same success,

I'm a big fan of Spong, wicked kickboxer in his day who always went for the knockout. Usyk is a huge step up for him in class and he will rightly be a huge favourite, but I'd fancy Spong to make this interesting, a man of his experience won't be over awed or intimidated by the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

He's a unit of a man and should be in good condition. And he'll most likely be a more unpredictable opponent than Takkam would have been.

Usyk should be winning handy on points or maybe even getting a late stoppage though if he's going to make a big impression on the division

If his cruiser weight stamina carries over to the hw division he'll be a test for any of the big guys.

If he proves to have a rock solid chin too he'll be a nightmare for them.

Big man, solid, and should be there for several rds to at least have a chance to crack Usyk hard. It's HW, so one good shot and who knows. I expect Sprog to be just that bit too slow. Usyk popping and pepping him non stop for late stoppage. Sprog not being able to set himself due to Usyk's feet and angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Verdict still out on Loma.

Superstar is the likes of Manny or Floyd..

Longevity, dominance, weight jumps and global recognition; as well as serious challenges and signature fights.

Loma’s record is decent. No exceptional, or close to exceptional opponents...

He’s very good, but needs higher caliber opposition to cement his legacy..

Like who? I can't see any higher caliber opposition around than what he's beating already ? Davis I suppose but doing everything he can to avoid loma

US2 wrote: »
    Like who? I can't see any higher caliber opposition around than what he's beating already ? Davis I suppose but doing everything he can to avoid loma

I know.....the opposition just isn't great.

Loma has good wins vs Linares (who I don't rate near great) and Russell, very good win that one....

Other than these two he has beaten nobody significant.

Anyway, I was debating his superstar status.....he is not a superstar, at least not yet.....

Many have him p4p number 1. I disagree on this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I know.....the opposition just isn't great.

Loma has good wins vs Linares (who I don't rate near great) and Russell, very good win that one....

Other than these two he has beaten nobody significant.

Anyway, I was debating his superstar status.....he is not a superstar, at least not yet.....

Many have him p4p number 1. I disagree on this.....

I would say Canelo the only superstars in boxing. Superstardom is a level of fame rather than anything else I think.

US2 wrote: »
    I would say Canelo the only superstars in boxing. Superstardom is a level of fame rather than anything else I think.

Yes, agreed!

Yes, agreed!

Both Usyk and Loma get a mention for me in this conversation. Loma has fought some very good fighters and dismantled them. The 4 in a row retiring on their stools is impressive. He's 3 weight and on target to unify. He's done it all so early in his pro career too. Usyk similar and unified CW champion but I'm happy to concede that the jury can't rest until we see how he goes in HW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

LukFwd wrote: »
    None of it should be PPV

Its defo a ppv by Hearn/UK standards. We should all be well used to matchroom at this stage. IPTV for the win.

Both Usyk and Loma get a mention for me in this conversation. Loma has fought some very good fighters and dismantled them. The 4 in a row retiring on their stools is impressive. He's 3 weight and on target to unify. He's done it all so early in his pro career too. Usyk similar and unified CW champion but I'm happy to concede that the jury can't rest until we see how he goes in HW

All valid Loma points. I just think he needs more to really cement himself, or get himself close to many great names from the past.

Usyk.......I was never excited about him, even though I know he is talented.

Another one who needs this big wins against big names....

What is his best win? The final of the CW tourny against a very poor Gassiev...mummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

All valid Loma points. I just think he needs more to really cement himself, or get himself close to many great names from the past.

Usyk.......I was never excited about him, even though I know he is talented.

Another one who needs this big wins against big names....

What is his best win? The final of the CW tourny against a very poor Gassiev...mummy!

Tbf Usyk made him look like a mummy he never stopped moving for the 12rds it was like watching a welterweight in terms of movement.

Canelo has some asterisks relating to his career too which kinda damage his stardom.

Advertisement