Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tbf Usyk made him look like a mummy he never stopped moving for the 12rds it was like watching a welterweight in terms of movement.

Canelo has some asterisks relating to his career too which kinda damage his stardom.

Gassiev never overly impressed me to begin with. Mummy to begin with, just really emphasized when he fought Usyk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Speaking of gassiev, any word on when hes making his HW debut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Both Usyk and Loma get a mention for me in this conversation. Loma has fought some very good fighters and dismantled them. The 4 in a row retiring on their stools is impressive. He's 3 weight and on target to unify. He's done it all so early in his pro career too. Usyk similar and unified CW champion but I'm happy to concede that the jury can't rest until we see how he goes in HW

If the question is about being a star (popularity) Loma and especially Usyk aren't in the conversation. Loma is probably the most skilled fighter Ive seen, but the average Joe doesn't know him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

walshb wrote: »
    Gassiev never overly impressed me to begin with. Mummy to begin with, just really emphasized when he fought Usyk.

True he's a bit robotic but I don't think any other CW would have beaten him in that tournament.

True he's a bit robotic but I don't think any other CW would have beaten him in that tournament.

True....

A prime Lebedev would have eaten him up...

• Advertisement

True....

A prime Lebedev would have eaten him up...

Ya I'm a big fan of Lebedev he fought like a warrior that night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ya I'm a big fan of Lebedev he fought like a warrior that night too.

Oh Gassiev I thought yous were saying he’d beat Usyk! Doubt that.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Oh Gassiev I thought yous were saying he’d beat Usyk! Doubt that.

Na Usyk at cruiser would have been all wrong for Lebedev.

I'd like to see Usyk make big in roads in the HW division purely from a physical spectacle stand point. He is a very likeable character too.

Na Usyk at cruiser would have been all wrong for Lebedev.

I'd like to see Usyk make big in roads in the HW division purely from a physical spectacle stand point. He is a very likeable character too.

I think him in the hw division is fascinating I can’t wait to see if he can take the hits

• Registered Users Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So what this nonsene im hearing turns out Dillian Whytes brother Dean isnt even his brother and his name isn't Dean Whyte but Lemar Scott WTF !!!!

weirdo going around pretending to be Dillians brother,

Turn out he has some horrible gang related past so just pretended to be Dillian brother so he could go to all these events and get tv gigs that he wouldn't if they knew who he really was

• Advertisement

So what this nonsene im hearing turns out Dillian Whytes brother Dean isnt even his brother and his name isn't Dean Whyte but Lemar Scott WTF !!!!

weirdo going around pretending to be Dillians brother,

Turn out he has some horrible gang related past so just pretended to be Dillian brother so he could go to all these events and get tv gigs that he wouldn't if they knew who he really was

That is insane!!! I think I’d sooner claim to be Lennox’s son though! Aiming low

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Hi people, I didn't see the Fury fi ght... Was it a yawnfest, or decent.... The online sites are a bore fest in comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Hi people, I didn't see the Fury fi ght... Was it a yawnfest, or decent.... The online sites are a bore fest in comparison...

Very entertaining. Well worth a look

It was a decent fight,
    People having a go at Fury for not just walking through him obvioulsy havent watched Fury much ,

Fury always does enough to win its just the way he boxes its very rare he blasts anyone out ,
    If u look at a whole host of fights hes had against lower ranked fighters he always just does enogh to wins,
    THe magic of Fury is so far hes managed to translate into fights aginst top ranked guys where he just does enough to win ,
    I think it suits him to fight better fighters of tHat makes sense ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

It was a decent fight,
    People having a go at Fury for not just walking through him obvioulsy havent watched Fury much ,

Fury always does enough to win its just the way he boxes its very rare he blasts anyone out ,
    If u look at a whole host of fights hes had against lower ranked fighters he always just does enogh to wins,
    THe magic of Fury is so far hes managed to translate into fights aginst top ranked guys where he just does enough to win ,
    I think it suits him to fight better fighters of tHat makes sense ,

100% agree, he always fights to the level of his opponents. The best bring out the best in Fury, both in the ring and the motivation that brings his training camp.

That was a scary call for Fury as regards the eye..nasty injury, that will require plastic surgery, and the punch that caused it was very innocuous.

Nasty cheating by Wallin at end of 6th, with his deliberate raking the injury..

Fury has a great engine, (now we know why nandrolone was used) and I think if he was to sit down a bit more on his shots, he could be taking these lads out. Wallin is out and out poor...

Fury seems to pitter patter too much, instead of more determined focused punching. When he decides to go for it he has a good all around offensive array...

I still think he is goosed vs Wlider next time. Wilder won’t fail to land properly early, this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just watched the fight.
    Surprised at how good Fury's fitness/cardio is despite the flabby looking middle.
    I guess he is never going to lose that no matter how fit and trim he gets given how high he had ballooned in weight.

Entertaining fight, despite the cut the rounds should do Fury good but I also can't help think a guy of his calibre should be taking out guys like Wallin with more ease.

Wallin would last all of a coupe rds v Wilder or AJ..

Anyway, Fury isn’t a killer, but he still should be able to land enough solid offense to not have to go 12 tiring rds against the likes of Wallin..

That was a scary call for Fury as regards the eye..nasty injury, that will require plastic surgery, and the punch that caused it was very innocuous.

Nasty cheating by Wallin at end of 6th, with his deliberate raking the injury..

Fury has a great engine, (now we know why nandrolone was used) and I think if he was to sit down a bit more on his shots, he could be taking these lads out. Wallin is out and out poor...

Fury seems to pitter patter too much, instead of more determined focused punching. When he decides to go for it he has a good all around offensive array...

I still think he is goosed vs Wlider next time. Wilder won’t fail to land properly early, this time...

Its the problem with Wilder , if u dont stop him he can literally put your livhts out in any second of any round , It means Fury has to be perfect or stop him i think hes more chance of being perfect ,

I see Big John Fury on a rant saying Tyson needs to change his whole camp Davis included

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

fury very lucky he didnt get a loss last night ....a cut like that, and it was 2 cuts, bleeding into the eye obscuring vision ..lots of refs, if impartial, would have stopped it...or gone to the doctor more times than he did.
    i'm convinced if wallin had them cuts he wouldnt be let finish the fight.
    anyway....what an engine on fury for a man as massive in size as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

dougm1970 wrote: »
    fury very lucky he didnt get a loss last night ....a cut like that, and it was 2 cuts, bleeding into the eye obscuring vision ..lots of refs, if impartial, would have stopped it...or gone to the doctor more times than he did.
    i'm convinced if wallin had them cuts he wouldnt be let finish the fight.
    anyway....what an engine on fury for a man as massive in size as he is.

Reminded me of Vittali Vs Lennox, that was stopped for less.

Wallin was an awkward fighter didn't make too bad an account of himself. Where is Fury's punching power though he should be blowing away the likes of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Reminded me of Vittali Vs Lennox, that was stopped for less.

Wallin was an awkward fighter didn't make too bad an account of himself. Where is Fury's punching power though he should be blowing away the likes of him.

Fury’s never had major knockout power but he’s a phenomenal boxer.

I think he’ll beat wilder in the rematch knockout power or not.

Should have won the first fight. Was a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Wallin gave a very good account of himself, fury didn’t get out of the way as quick as he used to. Even caught again in the 12th.
    Could be a one off. If he fought Joshua or wilder at that level he would be knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Its the problem with Wilder , if u dont stop him he can literally put your livhts out in any second of any round , It means Fury has to be perfect or stop him i think hes more chance of being perfect ,

Well he was nowhere near perfect in the first fight and clearly won. He can take a great shot. Wilder will need to land a perfect shot to put Fury away.

Was very impressed with Fury's inside game last night. Think thats his best tactic to beat Wilder tbh. Put his body on him and beat him up inside. Take Wilder's loopy right hook out of the equation.

Morrison J wrote: »

Well he was nowhere near perfect in the first fight and clearly won. He can take a great shot. Wilder will need to land a perfect shot to put Fury away.

Was very impressed with Fury's inside game last night. Think thats his best tactic to beat Wilder tbh. Put his body on him and beat him up inside. Take Wilder's loopy right hook out of the equation.

The gameolab first time was perfect and worked , id srick to it for the second fight ,

I wonder did Fury body feel the weight loss and back to back fight camps last night as he didnt look nearly as sharp as last time out ,he needs a proper rest now

I wonder did Fury body feel the weight loss and back to back fight camps last night as he didnt look nearly as sharp as last time out ,he needs a proper rest now

I noticed his sharpness seemed off. Shots were a little labored....

Morrison J wrote: »

This is pretty much the game-plan for Fury to win....close distance and work Wilder over from close range....

Oh, and be very careful that he doesn't get knocked out via an inside uppercut. Wilder can really throw them.

Fury needs to be a bit more adventurous and engaging and risky. I thought he got far too much credit for the drawn fight. Was like folks were crediting him for surviving, and being competitive after a layoff. I watched the fight back, and a lot of the rds were very difficult to score. Fury's offence was ok, nothing great. A lot of work from both men was not clean landing work....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Why is Wilder fighting Ortiz again? He already knocked him out last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Fury often underperforms against these sort of opponents. He is not great at putting them away. I think he can pull it together though for Wilder II, hopefully that eye heals up good, looked nasty.

John does know what he's talking about. I do wonder about Davidson the trainer, is he just good pals with him. Peter Fury would be preferable but obviously something isn't right there with that relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

I take it Wilder Fury 2 wont happen in February now? Surely Fury will be out for 6 months to give those nasty cuts time to heal.

Advertisement