Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    AJ v Tyson? Who you got, and how....what rd..?

Is it nonsense to think Mike could get to AJ early to knock him out, considering what an aggressive fast starter Tyson was, with dynamite hands, and with AJs chin not being solid?

I remember discussing Tyson v Louis.....and saying how Mike wins inside a rd, as he was a horrible match for Joe

Folks were incredulous on it. Saying that Louis should last more rds....but why? He was easily hit, and had a shaky chin.......very bad when you are meeting Tyson...

Hardly takes Mike more than a rd to find Joe's chin......

I can;t see him taking too long to find AJs either.

Settle down I don’t think you were talking nonsense. I’m saying why call it nonsense (previous post) then breathe life into the debate?

Tyson demolishes aj. Early rounds 1/2.

Joe Louis? Hmm eras too far apart for me. That’s like asking who’d win between a mid-noughties Kerry and the 77 Dublin team. The sport had progressed too far. I’ve too much of a fondness for joe to even think about it so probably Tyson

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    A lot of people watching too many Tyson highlight reels. BT Sport have been showing a lot of his fights on the classic boxing series. He wasnt superhuman and struggled in his "prime" against some average fighters. As every fighter does.

And yet he won all these fights convincingly.

Tucker was 6 feet 5 and was in to survive; Smith was 6 feet 4, and an ox of a man, in to survive

Tyson beat both by unanimous decisions...

I could post up vids of any HW through the years...not destroying some opposition.

Not sure what your point is. Tyson as always, gets ridiculously over-criticised for his career and opponents.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Settle down I don’t think you were talking nonsense. I’m saying why call it nonsense (previous post) then breathe life into the debate?

Tyson demolishes aj. Early rounds 1/2.

Joe Louis? Hmm eras too far apart for me. That’s like asking who’d win between a mid-noughties Kerry and the 77 Dublin team. The sport had progressed too far. I’ve too much of a fondness for joe to even think about it so probably Tyson

I am settled. I was just asking for your view. And I knew you weren't saying that I was talking nonsense....

I don't see it as nonsense that Mike whacks AJ very early. I see that as logical sound sense...seems you do, too...

I am settled. I was just asking for your view. And I knew you weren't saying that I was talking nonsense....

I don't see it as nonsense that Mike whacks AJ very early. I see that as logical sound sense...seems you do, too...

Total agreement then my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

On the prime ll vs prime Tyson I’m torn. I’d be rooting for mike but Lewis always ruined my night. I think Lewis. I don’t think Tyson at any stage particularly wanted to fight him and expected to win.

The argument about aged Tyson vs aged Lewis isn’t relevant for me because as the pace slows Lewis has all the advantages. Lewis his his prime in the late 90s so he’s still almost in it or just out of it. Tyson is a decade out of his prime by then.

Prime vs prime would be some watching. I can see routes for both of them

The one thing which makes me favour Lewis was the way he handled David Tua (who was pretty much in his prime at the time). Tua was a wrecking ball with a similar style to Mike but LL handled him with supreme ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You ned to watch those fights....not just spout out names, and then compare to AJ, who has a weak chin, can be caught, and has shown his vulnerabilities

Tyson would be all over AJ right from the first bell. No feeling out, no jabbing, feinting, boxing. Straight in, on him and whacking him......

60 seconds is not a shock......He'd do well to make it out of rd 1....

Tyson is a horrible style match for AJ...

Watch the Tucker and Smith fights; two big, strong and awkward men, whose sole plan was to spoil and survive. They could spoil and survive; AJ can't....

Green and Tillis were also very durable when they met a younger, still to really mature Tyson...

Honestly, what exactly do you see AJ doing here to make this competitive? Jabbing Mike? Trying to KO Mike?

Dancing and pot shotting Mike?

Actually, forget 60 seconds. The fight is over as soon as Mike lands clean.....does it matter if that is 5/10/30/60/180/360/500/1000/5000/1000 seconds?

I'v seen all Mikes fights ,and again I think he is one of the most over rated fighters of all time ,

He was gone by 23 years of age with no BIG BIG wins to his name

Stopped by Douglas
    Beat twice by Holyfield at 30 years of age where was this terminator you speak of then ?

For me Mike Tyson is a what if fighter .

You said yourself 3 big wins, Holmes 39 two years retired and on a two losse streak, Ruddock never a world class fighter and went the distance In the 2nd fight only to be flat lined by Lewis a year later,

Spinks i'll give you that one was a decent win but lets not forget Spinks was an undersized heavy weight was mostly a light heavy , How many heavy weight fights did he even have was it 5 ? I cant recall

Lost to the older Lewis to when both where done to be fair ,

Anyway we wont agree on Mike which is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

It’s nonsense... then you add to it 😂

Nonsense that aj beats any version of mike tyson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dont think I copped Riddick Bowe in anyone's top 10 he's one of the more underrated heavyweight champs for me 43 -1 with 33 knockouts and his only loss to a prime Holyfield who he'd beaten already. Had a jab every bit as good as Holmes too.

Dont think I copped Riddick Bowe in anyone's top 10 he's one of the more underrated heavyweight champs for me 43 -1 with 33 knockouts and his only loss to a prime Holyfield who he'd beaten already. Had a jab every bit as good as Holmes too.

Sorry. Forgot him. Yes, top class. Would dominate everyone if he was around today...

What a coincidence that this pops up on my Twitter feed. Mike still moves better than Aj an Wilder at 53 and probably stoned off his head

https://twitter.com/30SecFight/status/1184460101421322240?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

US2 wrote: »
    What a coincidence that this pops up on my Twitter feed. Mike still moves better than Aj an Wilder at 53 and probably stoned off his head

https://twitter.com/30SecFight/status/1184460101421322240?s=19

100% stoned off his head, he claims he smokes 40 grand a month now of medicinal cannabis.

Tyson's a pitiful site these past few years!

To be fair to Mike he's probably better off being a stoner because when it was drink and cocaine he was a danger to society , The man has many demands but the weed seems to be keeping him clam, he's alo making money from it opening up his own ranch for smokers and everything ,

I really liked Bowe. Super jab and great aggression. Shame he didn’t fight Lewis. My friend reckons Lewis beats any hw of any era - number 1. I think early 90s Bowe would have taken him just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not sure what your point is. Tyson as always, gets ridiculously over-criticised for his career and opponents.

Not as much as he gets ridiculously over-rated for his career and opponents! Still probably my favourite boxer mind you.

Nah hes mega rich and he smokes weed all day! Hes happy.

Not as much as he gets ridiculously over-rated for his career and opponents! Still probably my favourite boxer mind you.

Nah hes mega rich and he smokes weed all day! Hes happy.

Exactly my thoughts , The lads mentioned Spinks, Holmes ,Ruddock as his top 3 wins,

Spinks - light heavy weight only 5 fights (I think ) as a heavy, Only went up to fight Holms, as he was Champion and seen as an easy target at the end of days , Both times he beat Holms where seen as robberies or at least controversial

Holmes - 39 coming off 2 losses (to Spinks) and 2 year retirement,

Ruddock - I was thinking about this he never won a world title or fought for one (IBC title doesn't Count) and lost against any top guys,
    You mite think its funny because we are living in the now but he's basically that era's version of Dillian Whyte and a smaller version just a gate keeper really ,

Unreal to watch Mike finish guys and without doubt an icon in boxing but one of the greatest heavy weights simply isn't true,

Unreal to watch Mike finish guys and without doubt an icon in boxing but one of the greatest heavy weights simply isn't true,

Very Conor McGregor-esque. Well, MCgregor is Tyson-esque. Sensational and really popular but not quite there with the real top guys like GSP or Fedor et al.

Very Conor McGregor-esque. Well, MCgregor is Tyson-esque. Sensational and really popular but not quite there with the real top guys like GSP or Fedor et al.

Its the star quality they have the X factor ,

Tyson just was so completely raw it was terrifying , it was everything about him from his look and even his ring attire,

He was absolutely no frills just a man looking smash you as quick as possible , it was like there was nothing else in his head but wanting to hurt his opponent , The world badest man, captivating as kids or young teens

Brilliant to watch ,

Its the star quality they have the X factor ,

Tyson just was so completely raw it was terrifying , it was everything about him from his look and even his ring attire,

He was absolutely no frills just a man looking smash you as quick as possible , it was like there was nothing else in his head but wanting to hurt his opponent , The world badest man, captivating as kids or young teens

Brilliant to watch ,

Which fight was it when he walked in with the buzzsaw noise as his entrance music? That was scary ****.

Which fight was it when he walked in with the buzzsaw noise as his entrance music? That was scary ****.

Wasn't it the Spinks fight ?

• Advertisement

Wasn't it the Spinks fight ?

That was it yeah. No robe, no socks, that drone sound. A classic all all time boxing moment.

That was it yeah. No robe, no socks, that drone sound. A classic all all time boxing moment.

The Spinks fight walk in and intro is the best in history.

Buffer's announcing of Tyson was Buffer's greatest moment, and that stare from Mike to Spinks just before Buffer finished.....unreal...

The Spinks fight walk in and intro is the best in history.

Buffer's announcing of Tyson was Buffer's greatest moment, and that stare from Mike to Spinks just before Buffer finished.....unreal...

Only other fighters I've seen as scared was Bruno vs Tyson in 96.

And Ali and Trump were there!

Only other fighters I've seen as scared was Bruno vs Tyson in 96.

And Ali and Trump were there!

Certainly at that level. Some of Loma’s opponents have been petrified. Rocky fielding vs canelo. That was the thing about Tyson. If you lost it would look like murder

Certainly at that level. Some of Loma’s opponents have been petrified. Rocky fielding vs canelo. That was the thing about Tyson. If you lost it would look like murder

More than anything else, what that I loved about Tyson was his no nonsense in to "kill" attitude. No fear. He went in, pretty much told you he was there to knock you out, and do what you can to stop me.....Nigel Benn the same.

And people can try pick holes here, there and everywhere, but bottom line is that he dominated all his opponents up until Don King came in, and Rooney left. He knocked them out, and when he couldn't do that, he boxed with them for points wins...

He then went to prison, and was clearly not the same physical machine that he was from the late 1980s...

More than anything else, what that I loved about Tyson was his no nonsense in to "kill" attitude. No fear. He went in, pretty much told you he was there to knock you out, and do what you can to stop me.....Nigel Benn the same.

And people can try pick holes her, there and everywhere, but bottom line is that he dominated all his opponents up until Don King came in, and Rooney left. He knocked them out, and when he couldn't so that, he boxed with them for points wins...

He then went to prison, and was clearly not the same physical machine that he was from the late 1980s...

Tragic really after he got rid of Rooney. Tyson fought 15 times in 1985 and 13 times in 1986 mainly just to keep him training and out of trouble. 3 fights in 1987 and then we're into him sacking his business managers, Rooney, marrying Robin Givens, drinking, drugs etc.

Shame really as he never got to fulfill his potential.

Still wouldn't mess with him though!

Tragic really after he got rid of Rooney. Tyson fought 15 times in 1985 and 13 times in 1986 mainly just to keep him training and out of trouble. 3 fights in 1987 and then we're into him sacking his business managers, Rooney, marrying Robin Givens, drinking, drugs etc.

Still wouldn't mess with him though!

Yes, agreed. I personally believe that from a pure boxing sense, had Rooney remained, and had Mike simply concentrated on boxing, he would have knocked Buster out

He then fights Holyfield, and I can't see Holyfield beating him. Not the Rooney trained/prepared Tyson. Holyfield and Tyson both fought when both were past it. It took Evander (who was rumored to be juiced) 11 rds to finally halt, a still standing Tyson.

I watch Bert Cooper and how he had Holyfield badly hurt in 1991, and I think that a prime Mike gets Holyfield out of there....

Prime Tyson compared to 1995/1996:: Far faster, fitter, better defense, rock solid chin, and better overall combination puncher.....I think this is too much for a prime Evander from 1991/1992.....

The one thing which makes me favour Lewis was the way he handled David Tua (who was pretty much in his prime at the time). Tua was a wrecking ball with a similar style to Mike but LL handled him with supreme ease.

Apart from their physical similarities, nothing else here really makes sense to me.

Faster than Tua, and a better overall hitter, with a better defense, faster feet, and a better overall boxer; and like Tua, a rock solid chin. I think he finds Lewis's chin and closes the show...Tua started well v Lewis, but seemed to then fade badly and kind of just see it out..

One also wonders how things would’ve panned out had Cus survived a few more years to see Mike further into adulthood.

Would be interesting to see the effect that additional guidance would’ve brought.

• Advertisement

If you were to show someone Tyson at his best, which fight would you show? Not looking for the best or fastest ko but just Tyson at his very best

Advertisement