Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oh and Froch is still as arrogant as ever but for some reason Iv always liked him

Carl Froch thinks the earth is flat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Anyone watch the gloves are off for AH v Ruiz 2, its the one with Bellew, Haye, Froch, Paulie and Nelson

All seemed to be making the point through out that AJ should not have taken the rematch as he won't be able to change but then the final question was asked who wins and all went for AJ,
    Thought it was quite funny as you could tell none of them to a man think he will win but because its Sky all picked him anyway,

Oh and Froch is still as arrogant as ever but for some reason Iv always liked him

I was just watching...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I just can't listen to that Pualie pr1ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

walshb wrote: »
    I just can't listen to that Pualie pr1ck!

He's some bollox alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pauline actually good at breaking fights down but yes I agree he is one awful f*cker always enjoyed seeing him lose,

• Advertisement

Pauline actually good at breaking fights down but yes I agree he is one awful f*cker always enjoyed seeing him lose,

His voice could be used against ISIS in the torture camps..........

An absolute posing pri1ck...

And really thinks he knows it all....loves the sound of himself waffling.

Ok, I'll calm down on the Paulie bashing now...

The searching for excuses is a bit naff.

I am with Bellew. It's a fight. End of!

AJs chin was vulnerable, as Wlad showed, and his gas tank was susceptible.

Ruiz got to him, hurt him and closed the show

I did think that AJ looked as if he quit at the end.......lacked a real fighter's character that night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I rewatched the fight this week trying to see if I could predict what will happen in the rematch.

I reckon if AJ keeps it long and refuses to exchange at mid or close range he could win.

Ruiz will win if AJ wants to get into exchanges and opens up. He just has his number in that scenario.

Should be a tense fight to see if AJ gets caught again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

wadacrack wrote: »
    He added alot of muscle since the Olympics and still maintained a very low body fat. He has a BMI of 29. To be that lean with that amount of muscle with his frame is nigh on impossible for any natural bodybuilder. I personally would be very surprised if he never used any PED's in his career

He's probably not even doing anything illegal

Think any athlete would be very foolish not to have test/hgh/cortisol etc levels near maximum allowed under whatever drug testing federation they compete in

Joshua supposedly has a trt excemption for years now

If wada testing allows max testosterone level 1200 ng/dL, you can be sure Joshua is getting the injections needed to bring his level to 1150 ng/dl and maybe someone hgh injections to bring him to upper limit too

With his elite genetics and frame, he can easily have bodybuiler ffmi/bmi with just those treatments

I'd say that's very common anyway in elite sports, if you ain't banging, you ain't hanging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The Nal wrote: »
    Carl Froch thinks the earth is flat

Froch would take a rocky level beating from the earth, then thump it flat when it got tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

BDI wrote: »
    Froch would take a rocky level beating from the earth, then thump it flat when it got tired.

but he will only do it in front of 80,0000 people

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That can't be right. Running order has LSC as the fight before Wilder.

Nery v Rodriguez is a fight or two before LSC

NYC is 5 hrs behind us, which would mean Wilder-Ortiz starting at closE on 0100 hours NYC....That's way too late.

Figueroa vs Ceja is the co main. LSC is on first it looks like on the main card of the 4 fights. Main card starts at 2am with 3 fights before the main event ring walk which is due at about 5am. Midnight ET.

Mike9832 wrote: »
    He's probably not even doing anything illegal

Think any athlete would be very foolish not to have test/hgh/cortisol etc levels near maximum allowed under whatever drug testing federation they compete in

Joshua supposedly has a trt excemption for years now

If wada testing allows max testosterone level 1200 ng/dL, you can be sure Joshua is getting the injections needed to bring his level to 1150 ng/dl and maybe someone hgh injections to bring him to upper limit too

With his elite genetics and frame, he can easily have bodybuiler ffmi/bmi with just those treatments

I'd say that's very common anyway in elite sports, if you ain't banging, you ain't hanging

Firstly anyone in there 20's at the top level of boxing who needs TRT exemptions is a drug cheat, You wouldn't get that far with serious naturally test issues,
    Just look at AJ how in the world would he have low test levels and have that much muscle if it wasn't because of steroid abuse in the past,

In boxing its actually called TUE test exemptions but I don't think any top fighters have ever been cleared to use it ,
    Lets not forget these rumour was started by Miller,

Firstly anyone in there 20's at the top level of boxing who needs TRT exemptions is a drug cheat, You wouldn't get that far with serious naturally test issues,
    Just look at AJ how in the world would he have low test levels and have that much muscle if it wasn't because of steroid abuse in the past,

In boxing its actually called TUE test exemptions but I don't think any top fighters have ever been cleared to use it ,
    Lets not forget these rumour was started by Miller,

You are a drugs cheat if you cheat.......

Using whatever is legal does not make anyone a cheat....

It's ridiculous this talk.

Every athlete out there should be going to every length to give themselves an advantage, and if they can avail of it, legally, of course, they should do it.

You are a drugs cheat if you cheat.......

Using whatever is legal does not make anyone a cheat....

It's ridiculous this talk.

Every athlete out there should be going to every length to give themselves an advantage, and if they can avail of it, legally, of course, they should do it.

I mean if you are a pro athlete in his 20's who needs TRT you must have cheated before that's a fact ,

Look if your test levels are low enough to need the exemption in your 20's who would never have made it as a pro athlete, you simple would not have the genetics do it,

The issues is guys who are top athletes have high test but then decide to take roids to get even better , There body will stop making natural test at a point as it can tell you have more than enough,

The issues is if you have been on the roids for long time and stop your body never recovers to its previous level's of test production , That why these guys test so low and are medically cleared for TRT, ( why guys in local gyms come off the juice after a long time and feel suicidal and depressed )

Look at the UFC every single guys who got the TRT exemption are guys who got busted before, like Belfort and so on,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Anyone watch the gloves are off for AH v Ruiz 2, its the one with Bellew, Haye, Froch, Paulie and Nelson

All seemed to be making the point through out that AJ should not have taken the rematch as he won't be able to change but then the final question was asked who wins and all went for AJ,
    Thought it was quite funny as you could tell none of them to a man think he will win but because its Sky all picked him anyway,

AJ will win by KO this time and sky will claim its the biggest redemption story in the history of the sport, overcoming the odds, answered his critics yada yada.

When really its a case of Ruiz living the party lifestyle since he won and paying for it come fight night. Dont think he has laced a glove since has he?

A good physique means nothing in boxing obviously but for someone who has been pushed as an Adonis carved out of stone, some of those stills of a "portly" Ruiz standing over a fallen AJ are glorious.

Must really stick in the graw of such an image conscious fighter like Joshua. And confuse the absolute f*ck out of his celebrity/bandwagon fans who wonder how some "fat geezer" can have chinned him.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    AJ will win by KO this time and sky will claim its the biggest redemption story in the history of the sport, overcoming the odds, answered his critics yada yada.

When really its a case of Ruiz living the party lifestyle since he won and paying for it come fight night. Dont think he has laced a glove since has he?

A good physique means nothing in boxing obviously but for someone who has been pushed as an Adonis carved out of stone, some of those stills of a "portly" Ruiz standing over a fallen AJ are glorious.

Must really stick in the graw of such an image conscious fighter like Joshua. And confuse the absolute f*ck out of his celebrity/bandwagon fans who wonder how some "fat geezer" can have chinned him.

I'm not sure about Ruiz enjoying the party Lifestyle if anything he looks far fitter and sharper in any training videos iv seen,

He was speaking yesterday about how well camp has gone and he's been flat out for 9 weeks come fight night, I think he had 5 weeks notice last time out but was just coming off another fight so had that camp in the bag,

I think he enjoyed a month or so off relaxing after the last fight and with everything these days it was blown out of portion by the media

I agree with everything else you said,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Ruiz took the first fight on short notice and had been in some sort of camp in the hopes of landing a decent fight so there's no way he was at his best and most prepared for the first fight.

If AJ beats him this time then he'll have beaten him fair and square.

Ruiz isn't stupid he knows if he can back up his first win he will be catapulted to new levels of fame and wealth. He is not gonna take this lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If AJ wins this rematch it will be very impressive, as i feel a fitter and sharper Ruiz could finish him sooner. I suppose those picking Joshua are banking on Joshua staying behind his jab and breaking Ruiz down before a late ko.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

As much as I want Ruiz to win I’m expected Joshua to win convincingly. I think Joshua looked all wrong from the word go in that fight. I don’t think he showed up at all from the off. I’d love to be wrong and that Ruiz made him look bad but it remains to be seen. Intriguing fight either way I’m really looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Have to say those videos with ex fighters are so enjoyable and revealing. Paulie being his usual loud New Yorker self, Froch selling himself, Haye being reasonable but Bellew impressed the most by saying the least. Concise and to the point and showing no ego by asking Nelson about how he recovered to become World Champion.

DAZN's excellent documentary with a whole range of talking heads is well worth a view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZcXVnmWxQ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wilder 219.5
    Ortiz 236.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Have to say those videos with ex fighters are so enjoyable and revealing. Paulie being his usual loud New Yorker self, Froch selling himself, Haye being reasonable but Bellew impressed the most by saying the least. Concise and to the point and showing no ego by asking Nelson about how he recovered to become World Champion.

DAZN's excellent documentary with a whole range of talking heads is well worth a view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZcXVnmWxQ

Completely agree with your description. Really like Bellew in this kind of mode and let him speak honestly aswell.

Froch is pointless, recounts his own experience (10% to apply it given situation, 90% to relive glories in his own head). Love to see Andy Lee in there instead of him

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Completely agree with your description. Really like Bellew in this kind of mode and let him speak honestly aswell.

Froch is pointless, recounts his own experience (10% to apply it given situation, 90% to relive glories in his own head). Love to see Andy Lee in there instead of him

Froch was a tough warrior and a very good fighter but he’s a terrible pundit. Idiot. This talk of 95% of people think... what utter ****e. How has he worked that out? Plucking numbers from the sky. Every interview he has to mention groves. As an aside groves was just ok. He got the world title by the skin of his ass against a nothing fighter. Froch can’t get away from that. Relentlessly self-promoting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Froch was a tough warrior and a very good fighter but he’s a terrible pundit. Idiot. This talk of 95% of people think... what utter ****e. How has he worked that out? Plucking numbers from the sky. Every interview he has to mention groves. As an aside groves was just ok. He got the world title by the skin of his ass against a nothing fighter. Froch can’t get away from that. Relentlessly self-promoting

It's always a frustrating part of a big Sky card when you realise they've just replaced Andy Clarke and Matthew Macklin for Adam Smith and Carl Froch for the last few fights.

Froch is the opposite of how he was as a fighter. Hard working, well prepared and knows his opponent. As a commentator he frequently will say 'I've not seen much of X' and X could be the opponent in the main event with plenty of footage available. He'll also get fighters names wrong all the time, and his general flow in what he says is repetitive and uninteresting.
    Sky like him because he's a big name that the average punter recognises, but you'd be better bringing back Jim Watt than having that clown on.

Macklin is far from perfect, but you can at least tell he puts a small bit of work in. Lee is quite good tbf.

Big Ears wrote: »
    It's always a frustrating part of a big Sky card when you realise they've just replaced Andy Clarke and Matthew Macklin for Adam Smith and Carl Froch for the last few fights.

Froch is the opposite of how he was as a fighter. Hard working, well prepared and knows his opponent. As a commentator he frequently will say 'I've not seen much of X' and X could be the opponent in the main event with plenty of footage available. He'll also get fighters names wrong all the time, and his general flow in what he says is repetitive and uninteresting.
    Sky like him because he's a big name that the average punter recognises, but you'd be better bringing back Jim Watt than having that clown on.

Macklin is far from perfect, but you can at least tell he puts a small bit of work in. Lee is quite good tbf.

Totally agree with you!! Is there anything worse than a confident fool? The arrogance of not bothering his ass to know who’s fighting.

Did you ever hear his brother talk? UNBEARABLE

As much as I want Ruiz to win I’m expected Joshua to win convincingly. I think Joshua looked all wrong from the word go in that fight. I don’t think he showed up at all from the off. I’d love to be wrong and that Ruiz made him look bad but it remains to be seen. Intriguing fight either way I’m really looking forward to it

You might be on to something. He had a genuine dislike for Miller. Whereas as Ruiz disarmed him with his amiable nature. Also the fact that Ruiz was an out of shape fatso, maybe Joshua just wasn't mentally tuned in - he was perhaps looking to the next big fight. That said Ruiz has big motivation to prove people wrong who say he just got lucky. I can't wait to find out the answer.

Froch is a strange man. Despite everything he has achieved, i get the impression he is an insecure man. Why else does he need to brag all the time. Contrast his behaviour with that of Bellew who seems confident and content. He also, as you pointed out, had the least to say, but was the most insightfiul of all them on that panel.

Froch is a strange man. Despite everything he has achieved, i get the impression he is an insecure man. Why else does he need to brag all the time. Constrast his behaviour with that of Bellew who seems confident and content. He also, as you pointed out, had the least to say, but was the most insightfiul of all them on that panel.

On the Ruiz AJ fight I agree with your points. I’m very interested to see if AJ will have a long game plan of not over committing. Not how he usually operates.

On that panel someone else made that analysis but it’s right. As irritating as bellew could be as a commentator I like his just say it style. He had the least to say but the most to say. Froch is just his own bull**** noise. Everything needs to be about him. All ego. Kinda sorry I wasn’t rooting for groves now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I must be the only one who reckons that AJ needs to be far more aggressive this time around. If he tries to keep it long he will a) gas because Ruiz will be constantly walking him down and making him move and b) get caught at some point as Ruiz's pressure tells.

I think he needs to go all out attack, claim the centre ring, push Ruiz back and unload the right hand. Over power Ruiz.

The last fight he was too cautious and he paid for it, McCracken has him too programmed. AJ needs to go balls out for this in the first 6 rounds.

Advertisement