Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

walshb wrote: »
    I think people may be missing the possible confidence boost the win over Ruiz may give AJ? That he had the character to come back, under huge pressure, to defeat the man that broke him...

Just because AJ fought very cautiously and carefully against at Ruiz, the man who broke him, doesn’t mean he goes in against Wilder all gun shy, cautious, unsure and kind of scared....

Each opponent can have a different plan...

AJ now knows he can both blast you away, or be slick and careful and cautious enough to box you, confuse you and beat you down..

Of course, Wilder is not Ruiz, but AJ is a far cleaner and more technical boxer and puncher than Wilder..

I think he can beat him both ways. Points or KO...

Wilder unlikely to win on points...

But I still expect this to be over inside 3-4 rds..

This is exactly how I see it, Joshua's confidence is right back up now, he has that believe again, that he can box both sides of the coin, you only have to look at his social media. This will be the makings of a great fight if he can bring that into the unified matchup. kill or be killed has to be his tactic, it doesn't go past 6 for me and can easily go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fitzparker wrote: »
    This is exactly how I see it, Joshua's confidence is right back up now, he has that believe again, that he can box both sides of the coin, you only have to look at his social media. This will be the makings of a great fight if he can bring that into the unified matchup. kill or be killed has to be his tactic, it doesn't go past 6 for me and can easily go either way.

I don't. This idea that he put on a masterclass of box against Ruiz is misleading. It's all very well till he fights someone who isn't a 20 stone tub of lard, who is there to be hit . His confidence to mix it up has been compromised by what Ruiz did to him in the first fight. I'm confident if he ever fights Wilder he will try to run all night and win on points , maybe it might work for him , but i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't. This idea that he put on a masterclass of box against Ruiz is misleading. It's all very well till he fights someone who isn't a 20 stone tub of lard, who is there to be hit . His confidence to mix it up has been compromised by what Ruiz did to him in the first fight. I'm confident if he ever fights Wilder he will try to run all night and win on points , maybe it might work for him , but i doubt it.

He may try the hit and run, but all he needs (I think) is one clean heavy shot......

I see him at least planting the feet and unloading once, maybe more...

If Wilder's chin is solid, then AJ will need the points route. It is not at all a stretch to think he cannot win on points. Yes, more likely that this fight is over before 12 rds, but if Wilder cannot land the clean bomb, and is getting hit hard enough to keep him honest, we could see late TKO/KO or points win for AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads lets all not forget Ruiz is barley top 10 .
    Wilder and Fury and even the likes of Whyte would wipe the floor with him , Let alone the second blob version we seen,

Don't let Sky and Hear fool ye Ruiz is no where near the top of the division ,
    In my opinion and again just my opinion Aj showed a lot of flaws in the second fight, Plus I'm not sure it'll do anything for his confidence he still looked terrified of fighting on the inside,

Yes he won so fair play but lets not forget its against Ruiz (decent fighter but nothing special) , and probably the worst version of a Ruiz any one has ever seen,

Nobody is forgetting that it was against an overweight fooking jellybean.

Just me: I criticized AJ for the win, and praised him for it. I tried to find positives and negatives.

Positives: He showed good feet, movement, temperament, discipline, and accuracy

Negatives: Showed fear, lack of confidence, some awkwardness when tagged; and all against a very poorly prepared opponent.

vs. Wilder......who knows what AJ shows up, or what way he fights......and who knows what Wilder shows up, and what way he fights.

• Advertisement

Nobody is forgetting that it was against an overweight fooking jellybean.

Just me: I criticized AJ for the win, and praised him for it. I tried to find positives and negatives.

Positives: He showed good feet, movement, temperament, discipline, and accuracy

Negatives: Showed fear, lack of confidence, some awkwardness when tagged; and all against a very poorly prepared opponent.

vs. Wilder......who knows what AJ shows up, or what way he fights......and who knows what Wilder shows up, and what way he fights.

The one thing iv a problem with is people saying he showed good movement and good feet, I didn't think he was anything other than average in that department, it was just that Ruiz's movement was shocking , he didn't cut the ring off once and still manged to get close on a few occasions ,

AJ done what he had to which is fair enough the bigger task's lie ahead ,

The one thing iv a problem with is people saying he showed good movement and good feet, I didn't think he was anything other than average in that department, it was just that Ruiz's movement was shocking , he didn't cut the ring off once and still manged to get close on a few occasions ,

Agreed. Good feet and movement against a blob...

Btw, if the top three don’t fight each other by the end 2020 they can all fook off...

AJ should be back in action no later than May..just start fighting each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nobody knows if the tasks ahead are bigger.
    He could have Wilder out cold in the first if they meet.
    Wilder could have him out cold.
    Nobody knows.
    Each task is different ,it's how he deals with them.

Bigger tasks on paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dubois is all wrong for Joyce he'll go through him for a shortcut. After that he has to be ready for one of the big boys, last couple of lads he fought never even looked like they wanted to be in the ring.

Looking forward to seeing where he is in a couple of years time he's the most exciting young HW out there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Dubois is all wrong for Joyce he'll go through him for a shortcut. After that he has to be ready for one of the big boys, last couple of lads he fought never even looked like they wanted to be in the ring.

Looking forward to seeing where he is in a couple of years time he's the most exciting young HW out there for me.

Yea he’s a hot prospect and if he keeps going he’ll be causing waves soon enough. At 22 there’s no rush. If he fights Joyce next and wins then it’ll be hard to hold him back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He may try the hit and run, but all he needs (I think) is one clean heavy shot......

I see him at least planting the feet and unloading once, maybe more...

If Wilder's chin is solid, then AJ will need the points route. It is not at all a stretch to think he cannot win on points. Yes, more likely that this fight is over before 12 rds, but if Wilder cannot land the clean bomb, and is getting hit hard enough to keep him honest, we could see late TKO/KO or points win for AJ.

I think he will be very reluctant to plant feet against such a big hitter. We saw how terrified he was to stay in the pocket against Ruiz. It maybe that Ruiz has a better chin than Wilder, but i don't think Joshua will be willing to risk finding that out.

I think he will be very reluctant to plant feet against such a big hitter. We saw how terrified he was to stay in the pocket against Ruiz. It maybe that Ruiz has a better chin than Wilder, but i don't think Joshua will be willing to risk finding that out.

Maybe I am putting my point across wrong, or folks are misinterpreting it.

Surely, over 36 minutes, the HW champion of the world (in boxing) can make a few calls and split second decisions to throw some really heavy punches at his opponents...god forbid, he may even get to land some, to do some real damage..

And, maybe, just maybe, when he sees that his 250 lbs frame is causing hurt, he could try to maybe throw a few more planted feet shots?

Tell me I am not expecting too much from this sport?

Or, he could, you know.......shy away from throwing any heavy shots, and simply try to peck and poke and swipe his way to victory...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It maybe that Ruiz has a better chin than Wilder.

I'd be thinking this is very much the case.

Ruiz is a solid lump, Wilder is the polar opposite from a build perspective and quite gangly looking. His legs don't inspire confidence when he's hit hard.

As useless as Ruiz was in the last fight, he still took some big straight rights that'd drop or wobble many others.

Ruiz is a solid lump, Wilder is the polar opposite from a build perspective and quite gangly looking. His legs don't inspire confidence when he's hit hard.

As useless as Ruiz was in the last fight, he still took some big straight rights that'd drop or wobble many others.

Agreed.

I am a bit perplexed with this view of AJ maybe not risking finding out if Wilder has a solid chin?

How does this work? Does it mean AJ cannot hit Wilder with a real hard punch, because if he does, or attempts to, he himself gets knocked out?

So, what are his options.....go in, run and hide for the night, and pray that he doesn't get knocked out? Go in, score punches (but no real heavy ones, because that is too risky) and avoid as best you can getting knocked out? Is it not a case that if you go in with this attitude and approach, that you may be in more risk yourself of getting clipped hard; your lack of real spite and venom and commitment on your shots leaves you a sitting duck, and easily readable......similar to a soccer player not committing to the tackle, and ending up being more at risk of injury.

Or am I missing something with this sport, that you can't tag a man with a rock solid shot because it is just too risky for you? A split second humdinger from AJ is just not wort the risk...?

The whole sport is about risk..... juts calculated, and calculate it more when needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No reason AJ can't commit with power regularly in a potential matchup. It'll have to be measured and calculated but it shouldn't add majorly to the risk in fighting wilder.

Staying on the outside and hoping to avoid any and all wilder shots for a full 12rds would be a more risky move imo.

I'd be of the view that AJ is a much better inside fighter than Wilder so committing on the inside at times wouldn't be too bad a call. And it'd help deter wilder and keep him guessing.

Fighting on the inside against Ruiz is a completely different scenario to fighting say wilder or even fury on the inside. Neither wing in hooks like a somewhat in shape Ruiz can they're just a different type of fighter.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think some of you guys are reading too much into Joshua’s second performance vs Ruiz. He had to win. He had to avoid losing and so he did this by being careful
    Anyone that thought that fight was going to end any different and claim to know about boxing should hang their head in shame.
    I think he beats wilder by ko in 6 rounds.

That'll probably be a Wilder knockout in the first so! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He's a lump alright. Wouldn't call him solid though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He's a lump alright. Wouldn't call him solid though
    Well he has never been knocked out, only loss before Joshua was a majority loss to Parker for the WBO title.
    I think he is underestimated by many. I'd like to see Fury and Wilder fight him and see how they get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Just watching back on hunter povetkin. I don’t think Hunter has much chance of troubling the big three unless he seriously gains power and fast. I can’t see him outboxing any of them. Even wilder would just be too long and jab him all night if he needed to.

There is a 18 year old Pacheco on after it, not heavyweight but looks a prospect.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well he has never been knocked out, only loss before Joshua was a majority loss to Parker for the WBO title.
    I think he is underestimated by many. I'd like to see Fury and Wilder fight him and see how they get on.

Ruiz isn't under estimatesd he just isn't that good to begin with, Parker also is pretty poor Hugey Fury came close to beating him that says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone that thought that fight was going to end any different and claim to know about boxing should hang their head in shame.

That'll probably be a Wilder knockout in the first so! :p

Anything’s possible in sport!!

Anything’s possible in sport!!
    True,it's still possible for man utd to win the premier league.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

BDI wrote: »
    Just watching back on hunter povetkin. I don’t think Hunter has much chance of troubling the big three unless he seriously gains power and fast. I can’t see him outboxing any of them. Even wilder would just be too long and jab him all night if he needed to.

There is a 18 year old Pacheco on after it, not heavyweight but looks a prospect.

Diego Pacheco? He's an exciting younglad only saw him fighting for the first time about 2 weeks ago. At 6'4" he has to be one of the tallest middleweights I've seen, I'm sure he'll be heading up to LHW when he's older.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

eagle eye wrote: »

Ah I was only making a quip about him being soft flabby lump rather than being "solid". (It isn't everything of course but if you see someone like that then they do have some issue with discipline at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Fury vs Wilder 2 finally officially confirmed for 22nd Feb in the MGM grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭dougm1970

wilder stops him when that cut re-opens...fury will be ahead on points and will gain somewhat of a moral victory with many calling for a third fight.
    i have spoken. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nice, really looking forward to this one, I hope Fury turns up in 100% shape.

• Advertisement

Hope Fury wins but I think last time was his ideal chance, to catch Wilder unaware of how good he is, u think Wilde ko's him inside 6 ihope I'm wrong

Advertisement