Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I agree with this. Those who think he should just copy the first fight would lead to a rude awakening I fear. He needs to be better and more offensive to win. NOT RECKLESS

That's the best plan......and so so simple...

Who needs Ben Davison for this?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I agree with this. Those who think he should just copy the first fight would lead to a rude awakening I fear. He needs to be better and more offensive to win. NOT RECKLESS

All great saying he needs to be better defensive and more offensive without being reckless but how ? What do you think he needs to do differently , what should he be looking to change ?

I think if he fights the same way but is physically stronger and fitter, his attacks will automatically have more zip and sting , He only really got caught in the 12th when he was tired lets not forget what kinda shape he was in ,

As iv said before first time out game plan spot on he was just let down by his physical shape ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I don't think any boxer has a rematch and does the exact same thing as they did in the first fight in fairness. That's a given.

I do think Fury will have to show more aggression with power shots. More offensive work. Not just spoiling and the primary goal dodging Wilder's power all night. But yes obviously that's part of his game too. Its his specialty. I'd love to see Fury scare Wilder with a few power shots early in the fight. I honestly think that would upset Wilder for the rest of the fight.

Can't wait for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

All great saying he needs to be better defensive and more offensive without being reckless but how ? What do you think he needs to do differently , what should he be looking to change ?

I think if he fights the same way but is physically stronger and fitter, his attacks will automatically have more zip and sting , He only really got caught in the 12th when he was tired lets not forget what kinda shape he was in ,

As iv said before first time out game plan spot on he was just let down by his physical shape ,

Aye well that’s not a million miles away from what I’m putting forward. In the first fight I think he beat wilder to the punch now and then and admired the work. He got caught in the 9th too. He caught wilder a bit cold so he needs to be ready for a better wilder

I don't think any boxer has a rematch and does the exact same thing as they did in the first fight in fairness. That's a given.

I do think Fury will have to show more aggression with power shots. More offensive work. Not just spoiling and the primary goal dodging Wilder's power all night. But yes obviously that's part of his game too. Its his specialty. I'd love to see Fury scare Wilder with a few power shots early in the fight. I honestly think that would upset Wilder for the rest of the fight.

Can't wait for this fight.

That's pretty much what I am saying...mix it up a little

Don't neglect any area of his game....needs a bit of everything.

And this includes hurting Wilder, and throwing with real intent..

• Advertisement

Aye well that’s not a million miles away from what I’m putting forward. In the first fight I think he beat wilder to the punch now and then and admired the work. He got caught in the 9th too. He caught wilder a bit cold so he needs to be ready for a better wilder

I don't think he was hurt in the 9th that's just one of those that can happen,
    Its an exciting fight ,

I think Wilder wins by Ko in 7 this time as I think Fury will change his game plan and it will l hamper him,

He got caught in the 9th too.

That was 100% Fury's fault IMO. Too much showboating. Fury was gesturing to his chin inviting Wilder to swing. He'd need to knock that on the head for this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

. He got caught in the 9th too.

This was a pivotal moment.

And it all came from Fury pr1cking about showboating and not keeping focused.

He needs to keep that part of himself under control.

Edit: beaten to it by Fonecrusher

This was a pivotal moment.

And it all came from Fury pr1cking about showboating and not keeping focused.

He needs to keep that part of himself under control.

Edit: beaten to it by Fonecrusher

Indeed

Here's one......Wilder expects a showboat? Fury steps in and whacks him real hard...

Telling you, no real surprise if Fury can really hurt Wilder, should he decide to hit him with venom.

walshb wrote: »
    Indeed

Here's one......Wilder expects a showboat? Fury steps in and whacks him real hard...

Telling you, no real surprise if Fury can really hurt Wilder, should he decide to hit him with venom.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised. If Eric Molina could for a brief moment Fury definitely can too.

It really is amazing how vulnerable the big 3 all are.

• Advertisement

The impression that I'm getting is that Fury is always thinking - to be evasive you have to. He needs his showboating or switching stances to be strategic. I think he can out box or reach wilder without doing that. Ortiz shows that Wilder can throw a one-two and hurt you as well as the hooks that come from another country. So Fury will need to be neat. I think Wilder's own chin has been getting away with it for some time and I can see Fury getting the ko. Wilder can't allow a nearly 7 foot giant to beat him up until he sees a gaping opening. He will have to box. What he did against Ortiz I don't think will do. And that all depends on Fury showing a bit of meat. That's a mixture of his two styles so it's difficult. He became so much more effective when he began to spoil rather than attack even if it was a harder watch. I think the winning of this fight is on whether or not he can get the blend right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

A lot of talk of Joyce vs Hrgovic for the European title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

More promoting for this fight, watched a few things this morning on YouTube. Strangely enough, I'm losing interest...

I've very little interest in the press conferences. Its mostly PPV bait. I watched some of the first presser and Wilder's very fake menacing laughing near the end is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

TSo Fury will need to be neat. I think Wilder's own chin has been getting away with it for some time and I can see Fury getting the ko.

He needs to earn Wilder's respect early, a couple of solid shots will do that. I don't think he has the power to finish Wilder, though. Fury knows now that if you are not switched on all the time and in peak condition you are liable to get caught by Wilder. He will be this time around, so I think he will win by a good margin on the score cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

More promoting for this fight, watched a few things this morning on YouTube. Strangely enough, I'm losing interest...

I think the spark has gone out of it with the long delay between the first and now I truly do. I don't see it doing anywhere near the nos they hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Larsso30 wrote: »
    I think the spark has gone out of it with the long delay between the first and now I truly do. I don't see it doing anywhere near the nos they hoped.

Fury fighting no hopers certainly hasn’t helped hype it up. If he had fought higher ranked opposition I think the momentum and intrigue would have continued.

Fury has 3 fights left, including this...

Wants AJ and Whyte....Whyte next, then AJ..

That’s 2 KO losses and one points win!!!

Fury has 3 fights left, including this...

Wants AJ and Whyte....Whyte next, then AJ..

That’s 2 KO losses and one points win!!!

One step at a time young man

Ah sure thats all talk my good man. He even said he might come back in 5 yrs time if he wants. Put enough money in front of Fury he'd fight anyone. He's still a relatively young man.

• Advertisement

One step at a time young man

Indeed. He may have to re-think should Wilder obliterate him...

May go back to fighting the likes of Wallin...

Indeed. He may have to re-think should Wilder obliterate him...

May go back to fighting the likes of Wallin...

You always have a little pop at Fury's opponents yet he jumped at the chance to fight Wlad when no one else did and jumped at the chance to fight Wilder off a massive lay off ,

Even back in the day Fury twice jumped at fights with Haye when no one else wanted them ,

The man steps up no question about it

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Fury fighting no hopers certainly hasn’t helped hype it up. If he had fought higher ranked opposition I think the momentum and intrigue would have continued.

This wasn't any choice of his own, When he signed the multi fight deal with ESPN they wanted hi to have 2 exhibition fights before the rematch, They where in no way going to let him fight any of the top guys and risk there new recruit being beaten ,

After this fight no matter the outcome it'll be top guys only ,

You always have a little pop at Fury's opponents yet he jumped at the chance to fight Wlad when no one else did and jumped at the chance to fight Wilder off a massive lay off ,

Even back in the day Fury twice jumped at fights with Haye when no one else wanted them ,

He does step up.....I agree. No pop at all. Just an observation; and one I would have for any boxer in the scenario I present.

I am saying if he suffers a bad KO loss next month, then maybe he will re-think....

He's only human. And a fight with AJ would poses the same KO threat that Wilder poses....Both have the power to really hurt Fury....

And, I think anyone who knows boxing and technique and fundamentals, will agree that AJ actually is the overall better puncher than Wilder, and will just as liklely, if not more, get to Fury to knock him out...

So, Fury gets knocked out v Wilder......will he be keen to then step in with AJ?

I have to agree with this. He's the least bullsh!t HW boxer around these days. Unlike AJ and Wilder who've very much chosen their paths. Or their management has. Wilder agreeing to fight Fury in the first place was very much strategic. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I have to agree with this. He's the least bullsh!t HW boxer around these days. Unlike AJ and Wilder who've very much chosen their paths. Or their management has. Wilder agreeing to fight Fury in the first place was very much strategic. IMO.

Im not sure about that. Wilder signed to go to Russia to fight Povetkin 4 years ago, when he was a much stronger proposition than he is now. He also fought Ortiz when no one else would, and despite getting rocked to his boots he fought him again.

Im not sure about that. Wilder signed to go to Russia to fight Povetkin 4 years ago, when he was a much stronger proposition than he is now. He also fought Ortiz when no one else would, and despite getting rocked to his boots he fought him again.

I'll agree with you about Ortiz to a certain extent but at the end of the day he's a 40 yr old HW boxer. Although he is a powerful guy.

I stand by my comment though. Too much pissing around between Wilder and AJ not to go unnoticed. Who was dodging who, we offered millions, we got the offer too late etc etc. Blah blah...

Fury for me is the most willing to fight anyone.

I'll agree with you about Ortiz to a certain extent but at the end of the day he's a 40 yr old HW boxer. Although he is a powerful guy.

I stand by my comment though. Too much pissing around between Wilder and AJ not to go unnoticed. Who was dodging who, we offered millions, we got the offer too late etc etc. Blah blah...

Fury for me is the most willing to fight anyone.

AJ fights guys when there done and on the way out or there to green to trouble him ,

There was no way Hearn lets him fight Wilder or Fury in the next year,
    He wouldn't have let AJ near Ortiz either before Wilder ko'd him

AJ v Wilder should have happened do you really think Wilder wouldn't fight him but would fight Ortiz twice (when no one would) and Fury twice ?

AJ fights guys when there done and on the way out or there to green to trouble him ,

There was no way Hearn lets him fight Wilder or Fury in the next year,
    He wouldn't have let AJ near Ortiz either before Wilder ko'd him

AJ v Wilder should have happened do you really think Wilder wouldn't fight him but would fight Ortiz twice (when no one would) and Fury twice ?

Stop the bullsh1t blame game....the whole lot them and their teams and hangers on are all the problem of not facing each other.

Fury's team and Wilder's team and AJ's team are equal as regards the blame....

• Advertisement

The path Fury took to Wlad was very carefully chosen imo.

For example he and his team gave a very very wide berth to the likes of Wach, Povetkin, Pulev, Tony Thompson etc.

They wanted the Haye fight because domestically it would have made big money and Fury had a big physical advantage over him.

I don't buy the stepping up to fight wlad argument at all either. When the unified HW champ offers a fight for the titles and a massive payday every fighter would take the opportunity Fury doing so was nothing extraordinary.

Winning the fight was a huge achievement yes but taking the fight was a no brainer.

Advertisement